Watch safety

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Watch safety

Post by exHowfener »

There are a number of good suggestions here and contained within them are the answer. Clearly - as you are going away for some time, dogs aren't the answer in this instance. Personally I would favour the cunning hiding place, even in a small house there are many but I won't list them here for obvious reasons. A small safe can be a good idea as thieves will focus on that, much like having a 'fake wallet' when out and about in a dodgy area. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving with someone else as they are just as likely to be burgled as you and their insurance will not cover your watches.
And yes, if you aren't insured already it's probably time to buy some if your collection is valuable enough to worry about.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Watch safety

Post by Lavaine »

When we go away for any length of time, my 2 or 3 most valuable watches go into the safe deposit box (and grab the passports out at the same time). Some other moderate value watches go elsewhere offsite. Most of the rest get tucked away in a less than obvious location in the house. Some of the cheapies are left in a watch box in their usual location as 'sacrificial watches', in case of a break-in.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.