The quality (or otherwise) of online reviews.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: The quality (or otherwise) of online reviews.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:27 pm Well sorry to generalise but it's surely an American issue (and maybe UK) in the main. As an ex president pointed, the French don't have a word for entrepreneur. I doubt Canadians have any difficulty with French pronunciation.
No, I’d say it was pretty global. You’ve obviously never heard my French or German friends trying to say Norwich. :lol:

I think an approximation is fair enough. JLC uses a French pronunciation in-house, so I’d be happy with “Jay-Jare” as opposed to “Yay-Gur”, or “Nah-Dan” as opposed to “Nar-Deen”.

My French friends would struggle with Smiths… “Smeess” or “Smeets”.

It doesn’t need to be perfect because not all languages have the same sound set, but if you are going to present and go global on video a little research is probably in order. Just so that you don’t sound like a complete plonker. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

If I want to find out just the facts about a watch in a short video I find Tim Mosso is one of the most knowledgable blokes around. In a 5 to 7 min video you can learn just about anything you need to know about a piece. The one I can’t abide at any price is that fake gentry idiot!
cwa
Senior
Senior

Post by cwa »

Archie Luxury 😂

Seriously though, I rarely see reviews that I find much value in. If they’re just going to tell me the specs I may as well just read those from the brand’s own literature.

I’m also a little suspect when you so rarely see watches get a bad review, regardless of their quality, price or where the two meet.
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

For me The Timeless Watch Channel is way out in front of my favourite YouTube channels.
Honourable mentions also to
The Urban Gentry
Hafiz J Mehmood
Nekkid Watchmaker (repairs)
The English Watch
Watch Andrew
Watch On
Watch Advisor

I like different channels for different reasons. Some are informative. Some for the presentation / photography/ macro. Some just because I like to listen to their ramblings!!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk