Crown In or Out - Quartz

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Crown In or Out - Quartz

Post by TheBeatles »

What is the Forum consensus on leaving crown in/out on quartz watches?

I leave mine in, so they are pick up and go. I figure a battery change every 3/4/5 years depending on watch/battery etc is not that much of an inconvenience.

Also, is there a possibility of leakage if left out due to lack of usage?

Reason I’m asking is - my wife just checked some of her watches with crown out. She hasn’t worn them for a couple of years. Batteries were dead anyway. Perhaps a poor quality battery!

I’ve just spent the morning changing them over with instructions to leave crown in and we’ll see.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Crown In or Out - Quartz

Post by TheBeatles »

This all started after I mentioned Ferg changing battery on his C3 (Thanks, Ferg)

Plus I spoke to a friend over the weekend who has the crown on his Bulova MoonWatch pulled out. Mine has always been in and only had first battery change last December after 4 yrs 7 months from purchase.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I agree - leave the crowns in operating position, it doesn't make much difference to battery lifetime as the battery will self discharge anyway and they are less likely to leak under load, while a quick glance at the dial shows that the battery is discharged which is when leakage is more probable. In truth though, to prevent leak damage the only sure way is to store without batteries.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I don’t pull the crown on quartz, what’s the point? If you have to set it every time you pick it up you may aswell just ditch the quartz and stick to auto/hand wind. Let’s not forget that the majority of ‘normal’ people wear quartz watches and I can’t see anyone pulling the crown to save battery and have to mess about resetting. Seems stupid to me
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

In – always. Helps to protect against ingress of moisture, dust and foreign objects.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I keep the crown in on my Quartz watches and think I go 3 to 4 years between battery changes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The crown isn't an on/off switch in a quartz in most movements. It disengages the stepper motor from the hands so that they can be set. The rest is still running. In some cases a brake is applies to the movement. So pulling the crown does little for battery life. I leave the crowns in to be sure that they are dust and water tight (even low water resistance watches this will help).
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:48 pm The crown isn't an on/off switch in a quartz in most movements. It disengages the stepper motor from the hands so that they can be set. The rest is still running. In some cases a brake is applies to the movement. So pulling the crown does little for battery life. I leave the crowns in to be sure that they are dust and water tight (even low water resistance watches this will help).
That’s what I was thinking. I know I’ve seen some quartz movements that specifically mention a low power mode when the crown is pulled it, but assumed that was unique to those movements.
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:09 pm
rkovars wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:48 pm The crown isn't an on/off switch in a quartz in most movements. It disengages the stepper motor from the hands so that they can be set. The rest is still running. In some cases a brake is applies to the movement. So pulling the crown does little for battery life. I leave the crowns in to be sure that they are dust and water tight (even low water resistance watches this will help).
That’s what I was thinking. I know I’ve seen some quartz movements that specifically mention a low power mode when the crown is pulled it, but assumed that was unique to those movements.
Yep. There are a few out there to be sure. I've never owned one but even then I think I would still leave it running.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Crown in and leave it ticking, for me.

As mentioned, it keeps the insides clean.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

I tend to keep the the crown in but on my Longines VHP the manuals on both watches say that you should have the crown out for them to go into ‘standby’ mode to preserve battery life.
Treyford
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I don’t own any quartz watches but if I did crown in always, isn’t that the whole point of a quartz?? To have it running and time set whenever you go to wear it??
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

treyford wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:44 am I tend to keep the the crown in but on my Longines VHP the manuals on both watches say that you should have the crown out for them to go into ‘standby’ mode to preserve battery life.
I may be off base here but with these watches/movements isn't more like a 'low power' mode meaning that when it is pushed in it sets the hands at the correct time automatically? That would be ideal. I would assume there are also extra measures taken to make sure gaskets are in place when the crown is pulled.

I think I would still probably keep them running unless I knew I would be away from a service center for an extended period like a military deployment or something of that nature.
Jack London
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Regarding “stand by” mode mentioned.

I’ve just checked manual for my Bulova Moon Watch, which states

“Note: When the crown is in the “OUT” position, the motor and hands stop. Only the quartz crystal continues to vibrate, using very little power. If the watch is to be stored for a length of time, it is recommended that the crown be left in the “OUT” position to prolong battery life.”

I’m still happier to leave in. Especially as a battery change is only every 4/5 years.

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

The grab and go convenience of quartz is nullified by leaving the crown out, the battery saving if any doesn’t seem to justify doing this either.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way