I’d give up my watches for....

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: I’d give up my watches for....

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm I'd also give them up for Kylie Minogue.
You should be so lucky.

A nice little villa next to a white sand beach with a few coconut palms dotted here and there and a hammock slung between two of them, a liberal supply of fresh fish and malvasía, and a snug little library with a big leather armchair, stocked with all the great works of literature I haven’t got around to reading yet. And a front stoop so I could sit with my laptop like Ernest Hemingway with his typewriter and actually get on with writing my travel books.

And Felicity Jones.

Ho-hum. Why do I get the idea I won’t be giving up my watches any time soon?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

A healthy back in the condition it was before a prolapsed disc, back surgery and nerve damage on my right leg to give ongoing fitness so I could (have) continue(d) playing football.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

When my daughter was born my wife and I had the conversation I suppose all parents have had at some point. What do you think she’ll be when she grows up? After some discussion we concluded that what we wanted for her was to be happy and that was all that really mattered.

She doesn’t need to be rich, famous, have a fantastic high flying career, big house, expensive holidays. Just be happy.

I suppose a lot of things fall out of being happy, can you have poor health or money worries and be truly content? Some people will be but I suspect these would be avoided as a by product of being happy.

So I suppose in the fantasy world all I would ask for is that my daughter is happy throughout her life. Whatever that means she will be, do, be with, etc. it doesn’t really matter. So I’d give my watch collection up for that.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

iain wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm So I suppose in the fantasy world all I would ask for is that my daughter is happy throughout her life. Whatever that means she will be, do, be with, etc. it doesn’t really matter. So I’d give my watch collection up for that.
+1000

Although my kids are 17 months and 7 months old now… I just might give up all my watches if it meant they would both sleep through the whole night every night from now on :(
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

iain wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm When my daughter was born my wife and I had the conversation I suppose all parents have had at some point. What do you think she’ll be when she grows up? After some discussion we concluded that what we wanted for her was to be happy and that was all that really mattered.

She doesn’t need to be rich, famous, have a fantastic high flying career, big house, expensive holidays. Just be happy.

I suppose a lot of things fall out of being happy, can you have poor health or money worries and be truly content? Some people will be but I suspect these would be avoided as a by product of being happy.

So I suppose in the fantasy world all I would ask for is that my daughter is happy throughout her life. Whatever that means she will be, do, be with, etc. it doesn’t really matter. So I’d give my watch collection up for that.
Yes!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I gladly give up my watches to be free of my neurological disorder.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

golfjunky wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:28 pm Absolute job security
Oh I think that's a bit over-rated. I left school and walked into a "job for life, lad" but ultimately got made redundant three times. Each change caused me to pick myself up and do something very different and I ended up, I maintain, a more satisfied, more rounded chap.
StrappedUp wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:13 pm No question ... to be mortgage free!
That's a good plan. All those mortgage payments..... watch purchases. Result!!
scooter wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:26 pm Guaranteed good health.

scooter
Now there's a thing..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Its a genuine consideration im currently having, to pitch in all my 16 watches in order to overpay (probably by a couple of grand), to get my paws on a Rolex Wimbledon.
When I say it out loud to myself its an absolutely stupid idea but I cant help it.
Tbh, id keep my 2 Zero West's. Id rather give up a body part than part with them!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

I’d give up my watches for.....a handy DeLorean which I would use to pop back and tell my younger self to stock pile sports Rolex & Heuers and to buy Apple and Amazon stock in large amounts. Also to not eat that prawn sandwich from the A1 services on the way to Leeds in 1995 which prodded my body into trying to reject every organ within it over a 72 hour period whilst lying shivering on a mattress in the coldest and possibly mankiest student digs in the North of England.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

My youngest child has a complex diagnosis including autism.
I would gladly give up all of my watches and the arm I wear them on if he could be ok..
These users thanked the author Tortoise for the post:
sproughton
Ian
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:42 pm My youngest child has a complex diagnosis including autism.
I would gladly give up all of my watches and the arm I wear them on if he could be ok..
I hear you!

I'd also give mine up along with loads more if it meant my little guy wouldn't have to go through surgery for his craniosynostosis. That said, if Kylie was actually in the mix I'd have to give it careful consideration.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

This is a bit....err, deep.
Timeline: Christmas 2015. My partner of 35 years passed away. She'd suffered with MS.
May 2016. The heart attack that killed me. But they brought me back. Twice.
September 2016. My grandson Zack was born.
Christmas 2016. I bought myself my first "decent" watch to replace an old Citizen that I'd beaten up on for 20 years. It was a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic, nothing grand but Swiss and interesting, it was what I could afford and I liked it. I still do, very much so.
February 2019. My father passed away after a long illness.
April 2020. My mother passed away suddenly.
2021. The last few years have been tremendously hard work. But the house is finally paid off and this year saw the acquisition of a Tudor BB58 and a Longines Big Eye. Quite the improvement in circumstances, but I reckon I have earned it.

So every morning I look into the watch box(es) to choose what is going on the wrist, and 12 lovely eyes remind me of the journey.
Give up my watches? I don't think so. :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 3):
Gar787jkbarnesstrapline
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Noush wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:25 am Give up my watches? I don't think so. :)
Wonderful post :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Watches aren't really very important at all so I'm sure most of us would give them up for the health and happiness of our family.....or Kyle Minogue!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:46 am I'm sure most of us would give them up for the health and happiness of our family.
Of course we would. My post wasn’t meant to be taken too seriously.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)