Euros (Football)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Euros (Football)

Post by JAFO »

I can't see a thread about this..

It occurred to me that the idea of promoting the best 3rd place teams means that the final round of group matches starting this evening still gives all the teams something to play for. I imagine any nation ending on 3 points might still go through as a third place finisher.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Euros (Football)

Post by Bungle-ator »

I suspect 4 points would secure it for most or all 3rd placed sides. That's not to say 3 won't be enough in some cases.

It's started to get a bit interesting with the likes of Portugal looking like they might struggle to qualify.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Watching Italy v Wales now…..

The Germany v Portugal game was a great spectacle and the Germans looks to have regained their confidence after their disappointing start against France. That group looks very tasty now with the mathematical possibility of any of the 4 qualifying.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

0uatiOW wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:16 pm Watching Italy v Wales now…..

The Germany v Portugal game was a great spectacle and the Germans looks to have regained their confidence after their disappointing start against France. That group looks very tasty now with the mathematical possibility of any of the 4 qualifying.
And if England win their group they get the dubious pleasure of playing the second place team from the France/Germany/Portugal group. Maybe it suited England in their game against Scotland to try to play for second place in their group, and avoid that dangerous round of 16 match.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm Maybe it suited England in their game against Scotland to try to play for second place in their group, and avoid that dangerous round of 16 match.
I#m not sure that England had that degree of control over the outcome...Scotland were bossing it! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Cracking Italian goal.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm And if England win their group they get the dubious pleasure of playing the second place team from the France/Germany/Portugal group. Maybe it suited England in their game against Scotland to try to play for second place in their group, and avoid that dangerous round of 16 match.
To win the group England must beat the Czechs, so playing for second place now may not be so difficult (a draw would deliver that, but the way they’re playing there’s a chance it may be beyond them). A loss, and a decent win for either team contesting the other game in the group could see us drop to 3rd place.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm
0uatiOW wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:16 pm

And if England win their group they get the dubious pleasure of playing the second place team from the France/Germany/Portugal group. Maybe it suited England in their game against Scotland to try to play for second place in their group, and avoid that dangerous round of 16 match.
😂 It's the last game you throw to secure an outcome like that. They weren't in control of anything in their last match. I don't think it matters who they avoid in the next round in any case as the first decent side they come across will put them out
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I reckon it's either going to be a German or Belgian overall winning team
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

^^^ Italy looked pretty good today and that wasn't even their strongest team, so they are in the mix too.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

If there's one game I cannot stand it's football. Why has it got to be shown on both the BBC and ITV, why can't it be shown on some obscure channel instead.

It'll be Wimbledon next, another game I can't abide either.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

malvern_man wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:54 pm If there's one game I cannot stand it's football. Why has it got to be shown on both the BBC and ITV, why can't it be shown on some obscure channel instead.

Those are obscure channels, they're just full of nonsense all year round.
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

malvern_man wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:54 pm If there's one game I cannot stand it's football. Why has it got to be shown on both the BBC and ITV, why can't it be shown on some obscure channel instead.

:lol:
I would assume because it's popular!
May not be your favourite, but many millions have been watching this tournament, so why on earth would they put it on some obscure channel ?
Neil
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I used to enjoy tournaments like this but now my interest has evaporated, I haven’t watched one game. As to why I haven’t a clue.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Richard D wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:24 am I used to enjoy tournaments like this but now my interest has evaporated, I haven’t watched one game. As to why I haven’t a clue.
Personally I think it's maturity. Footy loses its importance. A bit of 1 Corinthians 13:11