Euros (Football)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Euros (Football)

Post by Bungle-ator »

^^^^^^it's easy to lose interest. I watch more football than I used to but I enjoy games as a neutral much more. A match result won't ever make or break my weekend anymore. I'm not sure if that's down to maturity or having just gained a larger perspective on the important things in life.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Richard D wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:24 am I used to enjoy tournaments like this but now my interest has evaporated, I haven’t watched one game. As to why I haven’t a clue.
Same - even 3 years ago I watched pretty much every match that wasn't during work time, this time I literally fell asleep and missed most of England's first match and came close during their second. I did survive Italy's opener and I've managed to remember to watch a couple of highlights but that's it.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Doesn’t quite seem fair, does it? Scotland were praised to the skies, and rightly so, for the way they played against England and yet they’re out.

England have done very little to impress, but on the back of two 1-0 wins and a goalless draw, they win the group.

Mind you if they win all the remaining matches 1–0, they will win the tournament. I don’t see it happening.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

^^^ You get the same points for 1 -0 as for 10 -0, that's football. Scotland haven't managed to score at all, and that will never win a match, let alone a tournament no matter how well a team defends. At least the Scots can now concentrate on supporting whoever England play so everyone's happy.

And I'm not even a football fan!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

exHowfener wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 pm At least the Scots can now concentrate on supporting whoever England play so everyone's happy.
Ah yes, as the Sassenach who spent eight years working in Scotland, I got rather used to that. :lol:

As I used to point out to my Scottish friends (and friends indeed they were and still are!) you have to be in it to win it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Scotland v England was also a local derby game, so all normal rules of engagement and the anticipated outcome go out the window!

Scotland have looked poor against other opponents. England aren't worthy of 4th ranking in the world, but definitely less poor.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 pm ....Scotland haven't managed to score at all, and that will never win a match, let alone a tournament no matter how well a team defends. At least the Scots can now concentrate on supporting whoever England play so everyone's happy.

And I'm not even a football fan!
I'll forgive you as you're not a football fan but we actually did manage to score, to equalise against Croatia last night.

I'm off to practice singing "Three Lions...." :wink: :---)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I'll forgive you as you're not a football fan but we actually did manage to score, to equalise against Croatia last night.
Ooops! :oops:

Fortunately I live in 'Greater Manchester' so won't be welcome in Scotland again any time soon (or ever after that mistake).
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Don't underestimate the Scots. Most are not hateful of England and a large number will now be supporting England (and Wales) in the competition.

I'm English but always want the other home nations to do well in the Euro''s or World cup. We are all close neighbours and need to forget the politics (i'm pointing at the bitter Krankie wanting to divide us from our Scottish friends - OK no more politics) .

Of course there will always be banter and long as it's not hate filled it's all good
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

^^^^sad to say they'll be selling out Germany shirts in Scotland as part of their Anyone But England approach.....(I seem to recall an ABE tshirt/ campaign a few years ago)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

First off, I'm an Englishman living in Ireland, just to get the geo-politics right. I lost interest in football years ago, but I still tune in for the World Cup and presently the Euro's. I've even seen some good games, alas, that haven't featured England. It's rugby for me these days: a hooligan game played by gentlemen. I think football has been corroded by big money. After watching the England/Scotland goaless draw the other night it struck me for the first time in my life that soccer is the only sport I can think of where you can have the same scoreless outcome as you did before the match commenced.

Ninety minutes of my life I will ever get back, it was painful. But, I have seen some great matches since, looking forward to Denmark/Wales tomorrow.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia

strapline wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:12 pm After watching the England/Scotland goaless draw the other night it struck me for the first time in my life that soccer is the only sport I can think of where you can have the same scoreless outcome as you did before the match commenced.
Well, it’s certainly the sport in which it happens most frequently. It used to be a frequent occurrence in hockey when they had a three–man offside rule (my early playing days), but in these days of no offside and Astro pitches it’s very rare. Again, very rare indeed but it is perfectly possible in either code of rugby. In fact, it’s possible in any goalscoring type of game, but it just doesn’t happen in most of them.

And I believe that the Eton Wall Game once went for about 10 years without anyone actually scoring. :lol:
Steve

exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Most are not hateful of England and a large number will now be supporting England
My comment was meant as a bit of banter, although having lived and worked in the largest city in Scotland for three years, travelled around the country quite a bit, I have personally never met a Scot who would support England. I never saw the Loch Ness monster either. I suppose these things might exist, but I'm not a believer.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:57 pm
Most are not hateful of England and a large number will now be supporting England
My comment was meant as a bit of banter, although having lived and worked in the largest city in Scotland for three years, travelled around the country quite a bit, I have personally never met a Scot who would support England. I never saw the Loch Ness monster either. I suppose these things might exist, but I'm not a believer.
Equally many Scots aren’t that bothered if England win or lose so we don’t all have an ABE attitude.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I have respect for all nations and as an Englishman I have wanted Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and rebuplic of Ireland to do well. I understand there is deep rooted politics between countries. I'm probably just naive and wish all people could come together and learn to love rather than carry the hatred so many people do. I'm a softie and my arms are open for anyone who wants a virtual hug whatever country :-)