Euros (Football)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Euros (Football)

Post by magicman »

I've had a beer, so probably not seeing things clearly, but I couldn't fathom the Grealish decision.
Anyone know what Southgate was thinking ?

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Wendyball? :? :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:34 pm Wendyball? :? :lol:
Yes mate, played by lawn fairies :D
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

magicman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 pm I've had a beer, so probably not seeing things clearly, but I couldn't fathom the Grealish decision.

Regards Steve
Didn’t make much sense to me as Grealish was a menace when he came on. My thoughts were that Grealish in attack was a good form of defence for us. Or Grealish was injured somehow. Anyway, Southgate’s decision worked out
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:21 pm
As you know, Patrick, I ain’t no Wendyball expert but there’s no way it was a penalty - he never touched him! If it was the other way round I’d have been brassed off to have a penalty given against for that. Having said that, England looked the far better side and deserved the win. Still a boring game though but, as I’ve said before, I’d support England at slug racing if it was on!
By the same token Chris, the free kick from which Denmark scored the opening goal should have been retaken, as the Danish 'wall' encroached within 1m of the English 'wall' when the rules require separation between the two; or so my advisor/expert/pundit (son) tells me.

Bit of retribution perhaps? Still; that Danish goal livened up the game.

Its a good job it didn't go to penalties as Kasper Schmeichel (Danish Keeper) was on top form.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

magicman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 pm I've had a beer, so probably not seeing things clearly, but I couldn't fathom the Grealish decision.

Regards Steve
I guess to go to a back 5 instead of a 4 and tighten things up he needed to sacrifice someone. Seen as Henderson and Foden had just come on it had to be either Sterling, Kane or Grealish.

Sterling was playing well and had energy left and is now one of the most experienced. Kane was leggy but had just scored and would generally be a threat if left on. Grealish or Foden who are attacking had to go.

Just hope both teams can manage a bit of class in the final and keep the dramatics and simulation to a minimum!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:21 pm I’d support England at slug racing if it was on!
They were quite fancied for the Garden Olympics last May, but unfortunately the French Hedgehog Squad got a bit drunk one night, broke in and ate the team.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

An own goal and dodgy penalty with a lucky rebound gets England into the final. With this sort of luck (backed up by some more great football) they can really take it to Italy. The final should be another tense one, but there's every chance of a win.

This is the best England team I've seen, it makes me sad for all those years where we had a bunch of individuals running around for 90mins.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Irrespective of the result (a great one), I would echo Jon's comment re the team... they are playing as a team and seem cohesive on the whole, which is great to see. 👍
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

One of the commentators last night described Jack Grealish as the most fouled player in the English Premier League for the last 2 seasons. Lee Dixon chipped in then with 'well he goes to ground a lot anyway.'

Both Grealish and Sterling 'went to ground' at the slightest opportunity. It might be modern football but it's not to my taste.

The penalty decision was a shocking disgrace.

Sorry but I took no pleasure from that win.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

scooter wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pmThe penalty decision was a shocking disgrace
It was, I can understand the ref being fooled from his angle but VAR should have come back with a red card for diving :silent:
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

scooter wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pm One of the commentators last night described Jack Grealish as the most fouled player in the English Premier League for the last 2 seasons. Lee Dixon chipped in then with 'well he goes to ground a lot anyway.'

Both Grealish and Sterling 'went to ground' at the slightest opportunity. It might be modern football but it's not to my taste.

The penalty decision was a shocking disgrace.

Sorry but I took no pleasure from that win.

scooter
:lol: yes that's the statistic with Grealish but it's flawed on account that he goes down easier than Divine Brown.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I get it was a soft penalty and undoubtedly he made the most of it. But there is footage that he may have taken a knock from two players. It does though very much depend on the camera angle. The penalty was awarded after VAR intervention so clearly a marginal decision
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

He was 100% knocked by both players. I'd be surprised if either of them were enough to make him fall over but I can't see VAR ever overruling that one.

Whilst I'd love to see football without diving, it's been a part of the game for 20+ years and it's not going anywhere soon.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:11 pm I get it was a soft penalty and undoubtedly he made the most of it. But there is footage that he may have taken a knock from two players. It does though very much depend on the camera angle. The penalty was awarded after VAR intervention so clearly a marginal decision
VAR didn’t award the penalty, the referee awarded the penalty straight away and VAR didn’t consider it a clear and obvious error hence it wasn’t overturned. I thought it was a clear and obvious error but that’s only my opinion :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way