Euros (Football)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Re: Euros (Football)

Post by Deks »

I was listening to some people on the radio telling their stories. There were English 'so called fans' attacking Italian's and kicking them on the ground. The guy on the radio said one of the Italian's had multiple teeth knocked out. I know a lot of countries have problems with yobs and violence but it still made me feel ashamed of what happened 😔
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think it's clear that Southgate blundered majorly in retrospect. I was surprised Maguire took a pen, and that Grealish didn't. The manager must have decided on Rashford and Sancho when he brought them on right at the end. England went 1-0 up and then started sitting back more and more. England had an easy draw after they beat Germany, in the same way they did in the world cup. Really, it was poor management. Southgate should offer to resign and the FA should accept it. It won't get any better.

Of course England could have won and it would have looked like a masterstroke, but it really wasn't.

On the same day that half of 10 penalties were missed by both teams, two tennis players the other side of London showed how to face and overcome pressure. As Gary Player said many years ago, the more he practiced, the luckier he got.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:53 pm England had an easy draw after they beat Germany, in the same way they did in the world cup. Really, it was poor management. Southgate should offer to resign and the FA should accept it. It won't get any better.

Of course England could have won and it would have looked like a masterstroke, but it really wasn't.

On the same day that half of 10 penalties were missed by both teams, two tennis players the other side of London showed how to face and overcome pressure. As Gary Player said many years ago, the more he practiced, the luckier he got.
Confused by this. Are you suggesting that England didn't practise their penalties enough? And what on Earth has a tennis match got in common with a penalty shoot out?

Suggesting Southgate should resign when his tournament record is 1 x semi-final and 1 x final is ludicrous (not to mention another semi in the Nation's League). He stuck with what served England so well in the tournament and it didn't work against a very decent Italian side. There's no shame in that. Hopefully he learns and goes with other options in the future.

It was a comparatively easy route to the final, but that's nothing new. Nobody bleats on about Croatia in 2018 (Nigeria, Iceland, Denmark, Russia and England) or Portugal in 2016 (came 3rd in a group and couldn't beat Hungary, Iceland or Austria and then beat the might of Croatia, Poland and Wales in the knockouts). Heck, France in the same tournament played Switzerland, Romania, Albania, Ireland, Iceland and Germany.

He got to the final surpassing almost everyone's expectations. The only possible improvement on that was to win it.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Agree with the above, Southgate is the best manager/coach the England team has had in decades. Hopefully he'll be around for a few more major tournaments.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Deks wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 pm I was listening to some people on the radio telling their stories. There were English 'so called fans' attacking Italian's and kicking them on the ground. The guy on the radio said one of the Italian's had multiple teeth knocked out. I know a lot of countries have problems with yobs and violence but it still made me feel ashamed of what happened 😔
Are you more ashamed of the few doing the attack or the probably hundreds who saw it and did nothing except tell stories on the radio? "Save me!" is real but I like to think I'd have dislocated a knee or two.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

^^^^^ While that sentiment is good in principle, in reality it’s not always that straightforward. Many years ago while on a night out I saw someone get attacked by a group. I don’t know the reasons why but a Good Samaritan stepped in to try to break it up and ended up being taken away in an ambulance for their troubles after the group turned on them for no reason other than they tried to help.

While I like to think I’d do the right thing, if faced with a group of football hooligans fighting after drinking all day, I’m not sure I’d be quite so brave anymore.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

jtc wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 pm Agree with the above, Southgate is the best manager/coach the England team has had in decades. Hopefully he'll be around for a few more major tournaments.
They won't ever win a thing playing his negative football.