Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Discussion: Maturing as a collector

Post by missF »

JAFO wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 am
You see a lot of pictures nowadays of women wearing larger watches, 35 to 40mm or even larger, and it's definitely a different look appreciated by some.
I think that another aspect of maturing as a watchy person is realising the range of watch dimensions that suit you best. My 4 watches have dial sizes of 36, 36, 38, 39 and they suit me well.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@missf.
Lindsey, I also think that for women there's a similar issue with rings. My wife has an M size ring (on her third finger left hand anyway). I suspect your fingers may be even slimmer than that, assuming your avatar is indeed yourself. So do you find smaller fingers affect ring designs you wear? Do you choose chunky rings, or select a slimmer more delicate ring style?
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

This is quite an interesting topic for me, as somebody who is in the relatively early stages of this new hobby.

I first discovered the CW brand maybe seven or eight years ago, when I decided I wanted a ‘nice’ watch to wear to work and knew enough to determine that this should be from a reputable brand and not a ‘fashion’ watch. Many months of research led me to Christopher Ward and my first purchase of a quartz C3 Malvern Chronograph. I wore it with pride for many years and always kept an eye on the brand through virtue of being on their mailing list, but never fell down the collecting rabbit hole despite the odd additional purchase here and there.

Fast forward to early 2019 and the decision to buy a new watch for my wedding day. Again I did some research and but eventually returned to the CW brand, eventually indecisively opting to buy both a C3 Grand Tourer and a C60 Trident. A C65 Trident Bronze Ombré followed the next year (later sold) and ever since then I’ve been hooked and spent many an evening reading articles, watching videos and soaking up knowledge.

Even over the last two years I’ve gradually seen my tastes evolve and, dare I say it, mature slightly. I’ve learnt the merits of biding my time between purchases and saving for something I really want, rather than settling for an imitation. That said, my lifestyle and general approach to money means that buying an affordable CW/Hamilton/Seiko/etc. once or twice a year is something I’m comfortable with, whereas buying three or four, or spending £2k+ on a single purchase is still beyond my reach. That’s something I’m more than happy with for now, but I’m sure over the coming years I’ll be drawn increasingly to the next echelon of brands such as Tudor, Breitling, Omega, etc.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Interesting thread and posts. I've been thinking a lot about this over the past year and realise I haven't yet got to 'the happy place' with my watches.. I relate to Andrews post re his collecting mentality and realise I also get consumed by the research, chase, deal and acquisition.. once I have them in the box its only a few that get worn on a regular basis.

I started with CWs at the same time as a couple of higher end Tag Heuer (still have 4 Heures 3× Autavia 1 x XX and would dispute ordinary), I then jumped into a couple of more expensive options and was afraid to wear them much back then so eventually sold them. Continued to ro add more CWs c. 6, still have these. Fair to say CW is a comfortable zone for me and is the brand I actually wear most frequently.. 🙂.
I then gradually started to up my budget again as I matured a little and Tudor, Omega, Oris, Longines, Breitling, others, made an appearance (modern and vintage).. Im comfortable with the value on my wrist now but for some reason they don't get very much wear, I also play at the other end of the spectrum and a few Kickstarter and Seiko.
So, lots of backstory to the status I have reached in the last 12 months.. My tastes have certainly developed or changed, I have scratched the chrono itch and 3 handers/GMTs appeal much more now.
I have also realised I have been more of a collector than a wearer and am still struggling to rationalise having 20+ watches that very rarely get worn. The decision was therefore made to rationalise from c25 and reduce to c7-8 watches, retaining 4 I already have and over time add 3 high quality pieces. I say the decision 'was' made as I remain slightly conflicted between the capital tied up in watches and other lifestyle interests.
If all that sounds a little negative it definitely isn't intended, its been a great journey so far and I have been privileged to own some lovely pieces. I will continue to learn (about watches and myself) and to mature as a WIS and thats part of the pleasure.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

missF wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:58 am
JAFO wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 am
You see a lot of pictures nowadays of women wearing larger watches, 35 to 40mm or even larger, and it's definitely a different look appreciated by some.
I think that another aspect of maturing as a watchy person is realising the range of watch dimensions that suit you best. My 4 watches have dial sizes of 36, 36, 38, 39 and they suit me well.
I agree Lindsey, thought i had this one sorted and then tried on a Panerai :D
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Soporsche wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:10 am
missF wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:58 am
JAFO wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 amYou see a lot of pictures nowadays of women wearing larger watches, 35 to 40mm or even larger, and it's definitely a different look appreciated by some.
I agree Lindsey, thought i had this one sorted and then tried on a Panerai :D
Isn't the 53.7mm lug-to-lug on the C11 about the same watch-wrist ratio? :lol:
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

My first two buys are rarely worn these days (C15 square rose gold and charcoal, C3-IPK quartz chrono), my third (C65 Classic LE) could happily be my daily watch if life allowed and the only solid 'grail' I've set was the original CW Moonphase which I picked up in the half price clearance. It's lovely but it's not an everyday watch so is saved for special occasions.

This does mean I've never tried on let alone owned a diver or a pilot style watch, a bead of rice bracelet or a quality rubber strap, let alone trying the alternate straps on larger and smaller watches. My mentality seems to be 'this is great' is achieved relatively easily and I struggle to justify spending on anything I don't know I'd like and you can't know until you try. Once you are in a place to pay AD prices for the big boys you can try them on but that's not really an option on my budget (I would feel bad wasting their time) and throwing away money buying, trying and reselling doesn't sound like a good idea, even though it could add some much needed interest into my life.

Having bought a quartz to potentially destroy at work I now remember to put on a watch when I'm not going to work so am at least back to being a watch person, but it's 12 years since I joined this forum and took an interest and my 'collection' is a mere five pieces with none sold on so I don't think I can be called a collector, and therefore will probably never mature as one.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:44 am ...it's 12 years since I joined this forum and took an interest and my 'collection' is a mere five pieces with none sold on so I don't think I can be called a collector, and therefore will probably never mature as one.
I don't think that matters. I see you as a wearer, which is in many ways better. As I am beginning to realise for myself now. I'd rather see a few watches worn and enjoyed than dozens sitting unused in a box. For me at any rate.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

I started, as I suppose most people did,with the cheaper end of the market. That brought me to CW some time ago,when they were new to the market and inexpensive! In turn that led me to the CW forum where it was possible to discuss and experience other brands both new and vintage.
I have moved through various phases eg used to have loads of vintage Seiko (6138/6139) & hummers amongst other things. I remember the first time I spent over £200 then over £500 then over £1k and then over £2k. I have never felt the urge to spend much more than that and in recent years have come back to the more inexpensive micro brand territory.
My tastes have come and gone and then come back again....I’m always happy to sell on a watch I feel that I am not getting any wear out of although I do keep some for a long time and never sell them!

Do I have a grail watch? Not really. I always wanted a Speedy and have one. I’ve never been one for Rolex so don’t hanker after some red lettered rarity. There is the odd watch that I regret not buying eg I should’ve bought an ALT1Z when Bremont were really new and Nick (or Giles can’t remember which brother) offered to sell me one for not a lot of money, or the vintage Heuers I always liked but never got round to buying 6 years or so ago when they were reasonably priced and hadn’t been inflated to daft money by those damn watch collectors!
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Great resurgence with this thread! Such interesting contributions.
Collector? Wearer? Accumulator? Experiencer?
I think maybe I've become all of these. I have a particular circumstance I guess as I have two parallel rotations, at work and away from it, with quite different requirements. They all get worn and very much enjoyed. "Breaking in" to the collection now will take some kind of watch...

The Grail thing: had something of an epiphany on that subject today. Switched up with a new Hirsch Rally strap on the Big Eye this morning. Corr. Swoon. Wow.
Looking SO good I was grinning like the proverbial Cheshire Cat. Next thought? Does spending all the cash on moving a Santos from revered status to bought and worn really give me more pleasure from my watches than that?
The house would benefit from new carpet ... :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Noush wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:25 pm Great resurgence with this thread! Such interesting contributions.
Next thought? Does spending all the cash on moving a Santos from revered status to bought and worn really give me more pleasure from my watches than that?
The house would benefit from new carpet ... :)
I'm enjoying this thread, too, Chris. And I liked your observation about revered to realised status, and whether said watch would provide you with any more pleasure. I have been into a couple of luxury Ad's recently; I always make a point of wearing one of my current crop of watches when I go in, each of which I really enjoy for different reasons. When I take said watch off and place it on the leather bound desk or table in order to try on what has caught my eye in the store, I desperately want to feel like whatever I'm putting on my wrist can produce something that the watch I've taken off can't. I also have to feel I can see where the significant increase in spend is going.

To this point that has not happened. I've tried on some nice watches, some darlings of the watch world. Perhaps I'm easily satisfied, maybe my expectation has been met. There is much to spend one's money on and, after 16 months of lockdowns, a warm beach, little taverna, perhaps some freshly caught fish being carried up the sand by some bronzed fishermen. My mind keeps wandering...I guess it's only natural.

Des :D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm There is much to spend one's money on and, after 16 months of lockdowns, a warm beach, little taverna, perhaps some freshly caught fish being carried up the sand by some bronzed fishermen, and a lovely new marine watch or GMT on my wrist. My mind keeps wandering...I guess it's only natural.

Fixed that for you, Des. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:20 pm
strapline wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm There is much to spend one's money on and, after 16 months of lockdowns, a warm beach, little taverna, perhaps some freshly caught fish being carried up the sand by some bronzed fishermen, and a lovely new marine watch or GMT on my wrist. My mind keeps wandering...I guess it's only natural.

Fixed that for you, Des. :D
And there was me thinking that I'd just managed to concoct a pretty perfect sentence, almost idyllic in its feeling. I have to admit it reads so much better now, thanks for the edit.

Des :clap:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I think I may be slipping back into my immature habit of downgrading rather than upgrading my collection. I either question the cost of the watches (none are that expensive), or I question the number of watches I have.

I’ve never been one for large collections and so I tend to amass a few and then question what I’m doing and sell them all in search of the perfect “one watch”.

To curb my habit I’ve got a 6 slot watch box for fathers day and I will allow up to 6 watches blot be in my possession. The trouble is, I tend to only wear one watch for 90% of the time and usually an affordable one, like my quartz C60 chrono or an SKX. I then question why I have a “collection” and wrecklessly sell the ones I don’t wear.

Hoping with my watch box I’ll have more patience to keep the ones I won’t wear often and see if they get more wrist time.

So I don’t seem to fit the collectors mould, but I always tell myself I’m just an enthusiast, and a confused one at that!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
daveodz
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by daveodz »

Evening,

Interesting thread, and i can relate to a lot of what folks are saying about their reasons for being considered a collector or not.

I am most defiantly a collector and have been all my life, I have 33 watches at the mo (10 being CW's) and this number will most certainly go up.
Currently, as a collector, i cannot envisage selling any of them as they are not only a collection of watches but each remind me of an event or time (excuse the pun) in my life when i bought or acquired them.
Of course life changes, interests wane and i will no doubt sell some watches in the future, in the past i have sold my collection of Dinky Cars, Marvel comics, and Air rifles. Having said that my collection of 500 Scalextric Cars is still intact and i wont selling these, rather pass them on to my two Grandsons; and Grandaugther if shes wants some toy cars!
Back to the watches....as i am a petrolhead the collection is Motorsport orientated, with 6 C70s, Tag Monaco's, F!s etc. I dont have a Grail and buy want i like not chasing or desiring a watch because its supposed to be the best.....whatever that is....?

David
33 Watches
2 Dogs
4 Cars
500 Scalextric Cars
2 Daughters
1 Wife
2 Grandsons
1 Grandaugther
...............No money left!!!