My summer project

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

My summer project

Post by jkbarnes »

My wife got me a small vintage suitcase as an early Fathers Day gift. My summer project (to be completed before a trip to the beach at the end of July) is to convert it into a travel bar! I’ve started on the planning stages tonight. I’m going to buy three more 375ml bottles in addition to the one I have for spirits - gin, vodka, bourbon, and rye. A friend’s wife will etch the bottles with each spirit. I’ve repurposed two smaller glass bottles for mixers. I’ve got foam to line the main compartment that I will cut out to hold the bottles snug then line with fabric. I’ll add a space for a shaker and mixing glass and will need to squeeze in four glasses. I might have to go with only three spirits so that I have room for the glasses. I’ve picked up a cutting board that fits perfectly! I’m going to add some snaps to the teal tie down ribbons to hold everything in place, and I’ll store the various “tools of the trade” in the pouches built in to the top. I’m pretty excited about this!

562F0FFE-B556-46A2-9EBA-F48B2B3D1D8A.jpeg
B1821660-DEE4-48D3-A346-0375689E521A.jpeg

D946DBDB-A96C-4D7A-BCC0-8B9B56B91867.jpeg
Rough idea of how the bottles will all fit

7CF514F4-E4C4-4AE2-880E-7C3E520FC8F2.jpeg
The cutting board fits perfectly and the pouch on the left will be perfect for cocktail napkins or whatever
Drew
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: My summer project

Post by watchaholic »

Nice idea....very stealthy. :D
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

That's a very nice idea: I'll be really interested to see how that finishes up looking. You'll need to make room to hold a small thermos that can take a quantity if ice cubes, just enough for a couple of drinks (each). :lol: Perhaps you could store that in one of the pouches inside the lid. All you'll need is a Panama hat and linen suit as you stroll down to the beach, very civilised.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Perfect aeroplane carry on luggage for a weekend city break somewhere :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I might have to go with only three spirits so that I have room for the glasses.
We all have to make sacrifices in these difficult times. Quire an interesting project though.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Brilliant idea Andrew :thumbup:
What you need to do for going for more spirits is something like this: https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/4 ... lsrc=aw.ds :D
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Nice little project. As Des suggested ice would be a nice touch, just a warning though, I had a small thermos implode on me when full of ice last year. Lots of metallic glass dust and a jump inducing bang! I've yet to find a better solution though!
Looking forward to seeing the end result!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

A travel bar? Are you hoping to become a gross toper, Andrew? :D :cheers:

I am on a whisky diet myself. I lost 2 days last week. :D
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Excited to see how it turns out Andrew !!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I’ve got foam to line the main compartment that I will cut out to hold the bottles snug then line with fabric.
I know that you've already got the foam, but have you looked at the 'cut and peel' foam that's used for tool storage (amongst other things)? In the U.K it's sold by a company called 'Shadow foam' and I'm sure it will be available in the U.S. The nice thing is that the cut away sections are a different colour so you can see at a glance if anything is missing. Not too expensive, and I'd be astonished if it isn't cheaper over there.

As for the Thermos shattering, just use a stainless steel flask. I carry one when out walking and they can take a proper beating without breaking. A polish with wire wool will have it looking (almost) like chrome.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Incorporating ice cube storage might be a bridge too far. I’m thinking travel as in bring this with me to a rental for a week, not bring this with me to the beach for the day! :lol:
JAFO wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:56 am A travel bar? Are you hoping to become a gross toper, Andrew? :D :cheers:
More like the Jolly Toper!

B1D00D80-EFC2-4EEB-B850-8205E0692D83.jpeg
Drew
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

That’s quite cool...looking forward to seeing the end product :thumbup:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:19 pm I know that you've already got the foam, but have you looked at the 'cut and peel' foam that's used for tool storage (amongst other things)? In the U.K it's sold by a company called 'Shadow foam' and I'm sure it will be available in the U.S. The nice thing is that the cut away sections are a different colour so you can see at a glance if anything is missing. Not too expensive, and I'd be astonished if it isn't cheaper over there.
I just looked up the Shadow Foam! It’s brilliant! Absolutely perfect for this application. With the ability to get a colored top, there’d be no need to line the foam with fabric for a more finished look. The foam I’ve got already is nothing special, just some left over cushioning from when my wife restuffed some sections of her couch. I’m going to look into this stuff. Thanks for the tip!

EDITED TO ADD: I can’t easily source this in the US. If ordering from the UK site, it would cost more to ship than the actual cost of the product! This is frustrating because I could order a custom size to fit the suitcase perfectly. I’ll keep researching….
Drew
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Korkki »

Shadow foam is a bit pig to cut without a small router (it you are looking for nice results, that is). Kaizen foam is easier to cut (it’s peel off foam). Rockler is selling it.
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Korkki wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:49 pm Shadow foam is a bit pig to cut without a small router (it you are looking for nice results, that is). Kaizen foam is easier to cut (it’s peel off foam). Rockler is selling it.
Thanks for the tip! Just found a 2’x4’ sheet that’s 2.8” thick on Amazon for a reasonable price. That size allows for messing up! Black top with a red core. The multilayered approach might make it easier to cut out the rounded shape needed for the bottles. Doesn’t need to be perfect, but just close enough for government work.
Drew