If CW was a car brand, which would it be?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

If CW was a car brand, which would it be?

Post by johncolescarr »

For some reason I always draw a similarity with watches and cars, apologies if this is tiresome for non car people!

In my mind, Rolex naturally goes to Mercedes, a mainstream volume but luxury brand that can pretty much do what it wants and everyone will love it. A status symbol for some, but others appreciate the unrivalled quality within the mainstream.

Audi naturally goes to omega, companies that make products based on what their customers really want and not the motoring/ watch journal press. (I will apologies to Omega owners now if this offends!)

In a similar vein longines to VW and Tissot to Skoda. Big main players with tiered products to suit desires and budgets.

Seiko maybe goes to Lexus/Toyota? Solid, dependable.

Orient probably to Mazda, products that punch well above their weight and are pretty sexy, but not market dominators.

But when it comes to CW, I guess the best analogy would be Jaguar; beautiful designs, British and a bit of a left field choice, but no doubt a player in the luxury segment.

Anyone share my tomfoolery daydream on this or is it utter nonsense!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: If CW was a car brand, which would it be?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Enicar.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I believe when Daewoo entered the UK market in the mid 90's they wanted to shake up the car market and sell direct to consumers.
So CW = Daewoo. :shock:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 pm I believe when Daewoo entered the UK market in the mid 90's they wanted to shake up the car market and sell direct to consumers.
So CW = Daewoo. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Funnily enough, when I saw this I immediately thought Skoda. Solid performer at a fair price. Good, reliable engine under the bonnet; but is ridiculed, in many corners, over its less than desirable badge. :lol: :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I'd actually liken BREMONT to Jaguar - British, beautiful designs, innovative, a bit of a left field choice and a player in both Motorsport and the luxury market.
However, CW I would liken to TVR - British, great looking, go well but with the occasional (reliability/QC) issue :silent:
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Not really sure why British manufacturers are being bandied about as we all know that CW build in Switzerland. So if going down this route we really need a car that's thought of as being British, but really isn't.

As a Skoda driver myself, I quite like that comparison. They haven't been a joke for a very long time. And they have the best QC in the VAG group - according to VW. Great customer service too in my experience. If CW can match that, they will be doing well, and there's no reason why they can't.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

exHowfener wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:20 pm Not really sure why British manufacturers are being bandied about as we all know that CW build in Switzerland. So if going down this route we really need a car that's thought of as being British, but really isn't.

As a Skoda driver myself, I quite like that comparison. They haven't been a joke for a very long time. And they have the best QC in the VAG group - according to VW. Great customer service too in my experience. If CW can match that, they will be doing well, and there's no reason why they can't.
Funnily enough I’ve been thinking this too. Germany is to cars what Switzerland is to watches and yes I know Skoda are not German but they are part of the VAG empire which is predominantly German.

The analogy works pretty well too since a base model Skoda is a fine proposition but they also offer a sub 6 second super saloon, shame it wasn’t a V6.

In different ways they’ve both had a branding issue too!

Not sure CW or indeed CW owners will like this comparison, it’s not all that sexy :(
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Hopefully not Rover, not MG (unless CW start using Chinese movements) or TVR (I don't think CW's reliability is quite that bad!).

For VFM and quality, Skoda (or perhaps VW?) does give a bit of a parallel in terms of quality, VFM, a broad range. Perhaps Guy can comment as I recall he sold cars for a while, possibly even Skodas?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I reckon right now they're a Tesla as they have great promise but it seems a decent amount of their stock leaves for the customer with production issues.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I reckon right now they're a Tesla as they have great promise but it seems a decent amount of their stock leaves for the customer with production issues
Ouch!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Tally
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tally »

Wouldn't the badge move from the grill/top of the bonnet to covering a headlight a few years down the line on a newer model?
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

SSANGYONG a car company that has changed its name as many times as CW has reinvented its logo and has formed a partnership to develop products. Also, how often do you see one in the wild?
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Frequent changes of name seldom inspire confidence.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Rolex = Mercedes ?

Aren't Mercs are a bit too readily available and you don't have to buy something else first to join a list ?