Thank you, Forum!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Thank you, Forum!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello there!
Bought my first CW this week (C8 Mk I Black/Brown) Ordered Sunday and on the wrist by Tuesday! It makes me smile every time I look down.
Like many people in their 50s I grew up with cheap manuals (who remembers that first Timex for their 8th birthday?) and went through all the horrible digital stuff of the 70s/80s.
My first quality watch was (still is!) a 1990 Seamaster Multifunction - I still adore it. I also have a lovely simple Omega manual that's about as old as me! The C8 is my first automatic, however.
I did actually buy a black Divine Carre for my god-daughter's 18th a couple of years ago, which is how I discovered CW...browsing! So I knew about the quality of these watches.
I'm tempted by almost everything on the site. The Malvern is a classic, but the "dress" department is covered nicely by the Omegas. I do like the look of the motorsport series, though...this expensive hobby could get even more expensive!
These were my first words on the CW forum, exactly 10 years ago today. By a somewhat serendipitous amalgam of good fortune and late planning, I am quoting them in post number 25,000.

2458FBE1-ABCE-4645-8ED8-8A317F7E212C.jpeg

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect that day. I rather thought I might be chewed to pieces by the basking sharks, the sort of thing that I had heard about on other types of Internet forum. If you had told me that in 10 years I would be one of the Forum Admin Team with a total of 25,000 posts, I would probably have snorted and said something like, “In yer dreams, sunbeam!”

I had bought a watch, that was all. I knew that I liked watches and was interested in them, but I never expected it to become quite such a “thing”.

I got quite a few replies fairly quickly. Overall, the members seemed to be better at welcoming Newbies in those days. Although a few of those who responded are no longer posting, there are still quite a few who are around now and have become good friends over the years.

I learned a lot in those early days. That I continue to enjoy perusing and contributing on the forum says a great deal for the quality of the members. I’ve been lucky enough to meet quite a few of them over the years, at GTGs and Admin Team visits to CW Towers.

I was flattered and honoured when, about four years ago, Kip contacted me and asked if I would be prepared to take on the position of moderator. It’s been a pleasure and privilege to work with him and with my fellow team members: currently Richard, Guy and Steve, but let’s not forget Gary and Ian who are not around much these days.

I think my favourite moment has to be the day when we finally launched the CW Archive, read Kip’s rather moving post about the fulfilment of a dream, and heard of Mike France’s reaction to it. For some reason, although Kip and downer did most of the real donkey work, the language teacher on the team got to provide quite a lot of the text; it was a labour of love and I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it.

Really, all I want to say is “Thank You”. As well as being a place where strange and like-minded people can discuss small objects of interest and desire, the forum has also been a place to let off steam, a place to seek and give solace in times of need, a place to learn and develop and expand one’s knowledge and understanding, at the same time as reducing the girth of one’s wallet. It’s also a place to have a bit of fun. Huge thanks to everyone, but especially to Kip and my friends in the “executive washroom with the gold plated taps”, for putting up with me. :clap:

And thank you to Hans, who started it all off in the first place.

Thanks for reading. Here’s to the next stage of the journey. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Thank you, Forum!

Post by strapline »

Well...I'm very much a newbie on this forum, Steve, but I always enjoy my brief interactions with you. I've also enjoyed many of your posts and threads since being on the forum. Recently, I have enjoyed the countless photos of your UN, as well as the joy you take from wearing it. Twenty-five thousand posts is quite something. Add all those sentences and paragraphs together and I'd imagine there's a book or two's worth in terms of content. I know you want to write a travel book of some sort; your time on this forum should mean that you've certainly served your apprenticeship as a writer.

Keep up the good work...

Des :D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

That’s quite a feat Steve. I’ve enjoyed your elegant musings, been surprised at some of the linguistic twisters you’ve unleashed (including your lightly acerbic replies, often so well disguised), and thank you today for using the word “serendipitous”. I’d expect nothing less from a language teacher.

If I recall, our first direct interaction was when you PM’d me to inform me you’d deleted one of my posts. I’m probably not alone there. I felt like a naughty schoolboy, which is appropriate really. Fun times!

I don’t know if this is the sort of milestone that elicits congratulations, but “Congratulations! Here’s to another 10 years & 25,000 posts”.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:39 am and thank you today for using the word “serendipitous”. I’d expect nothing less from a language teacher.
4DB857C9-7AE4-4FAE-B33C-6C447CF1399B.jpeg
If I recall, our first direct interaction was when you PM’d me to inform me you’d deleted one of my posts. I’m probably not alone there. I felt like a naughty schoolboy, which is appropriate really. Fun times!
It just breaks my heart every time I have to do it, Wyatt. :(
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Congratulations on two epic achievements.

I welcomed you on your first post and am still here to congratulate you on your two impressive landmarks.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Congratulations AVO on both achievements.

This place wouldn't be the same without you and your contributions.

KCM
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Congratulations Steve, two fantastic milestones achieved at once, very appropriate.

You are a great guy to have on the forum, sharing a lot of interesting musings and raising the forum IQ quotient every time you log on!

gratulatio vestra merita accendit :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch and congratulations, Steve.

As ever the eloquent wordsmith, which makes your posts all the more enjoyable to read.

Its good to have you around and here's to the future. :cheers: :cheers:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

And a big ole congrats from me too. The Maths nerd in me just loves the neat 2500 posts per annum, 6.85 (approximately) per day :)
It's been a joy interacting with you Steve, enhanced my life just that little bit all the way over the other side of the planet.
Live long, post often, enjoy the heck out of that UN and prosper. :thumbup:

And I'm looking forward to that book, sometime after the world returns to its correct axial orientation.
Perhaps in the not TOO long distant future a GTG at CW HQ for an Antipodean Interloper to join in and say hello. *sigh*
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations Steve! A terrific milestone.

You have graced us with 10 years of your warmth, joy and hilarity. You have taken what you have learned here and passed on that knowledge to others. Your contributions are always appreciated.

Working with you on the Admin Team has been a joy and your (in)sanity helps to keep us in balance. Your thoughts are always "forum first". Your work on the CWArchive brought a class to it that would never have been achieved otherwise. The efforts you have put into being a moderator and making this a better place for everyone are greatly appreciated.

As for me, the honor of having you as a friend is one of my life's great fortunes. I so look forward to our continued work together and the next 10 years on this forum.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Congratulations Steve! That last paragraph accurately captures how most of us view the forum.

:cheers: Here’s to another 10 years and 25,000 posts!
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Congratulations Steve. A lovely pair of milestones.

I enjoy reading your posts, in particular the witty ones.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Congratulations on your longevity and significant milestones; 10 years, 25k posts and your machinations in achieving their convergence :thumbup:
Tim
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Two impressive milestones, topped off by being a moderator. Congratulations and thanks are in order!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Well done Steve :clap: :clap: