Your best timekeeper?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Your best timekeeper?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

rkovars wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:41 pm I use an app called WatchTracker when I am doing timing runs. It allows you to add a data point whenever and does all of the math in the background for you. You can always see the rate for a given run and it also calculates a spread across all runs. I find it a better representation than a timegrapher because it measures real world use not just one position at a time.

You can also download all of the data to a spreadsheet if you want to do your own hand analysis.
I used to think about getting something like that when I was a bit more obsessed with the accuracy and/or precision of my watches. I just check them by the phone, iPad or RC alarm clock these days. I have a fairly good idea of what they all gain or lose on average. Just another thing not to get too excited about.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Your best timekeeper?

Post by rkovars »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:05 pm
rkovars wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:41 pm I use an app called WatchTracker when I am doing timing runs. It allows you to add a data point whenever and does all of the math in the background for you. You can always see the rate for a given run and it also calculates a spread across all runs. I find it a better representation than a timegrapher because it measures real world use not just one position at a time.

You can also download all of the data to a spreadsheet if you want to do your own hand analysis.
I used to think about getting something like that when I was a bit more obsessed with the accuracy and/or precision of my watches. I just check them by the phone, iPad or RC alarm clock these days. I have a fairly good idea of what they all gain or lose on average. Just another thing not to get too excited about.

I'm to lazy to look at the exact right time to figure it out. With the app I get to check in whenever I think about it. It then does all of the statistical analysis for you. It isn't something I use regularly but it is nice to have a record of timing runs over time to see variance. I don't know if I would have noticed my Dartmouth running substantially slow without doing a timing run.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London