Request to remove offensive smilies

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Request to remove offensive smilies

Post by Bident »

Not sure who this should be addressed to specifically, so perhaps to the Admins generally:

Last year I noticed something that I should have addressed at the time. Having not dealt with it then, I am now asking if two smilies available on this forum could be removed that I believe are offensive:
Screenshot1.png
These smilies, when previewing a post, are listed as:
Screenshot2.png
I'm posting this to the forum for two reasons: (1) I think it's important that people are aware there are potentially offensive items here in our forum that were most likely not made out of malice, but as such, can easily be overlooked; and (2) perhaps others disagree with me and I'm always open to be challenged.

Being Asian American, I find these offensive, but was not so offended last year that I obviously didn't react right away. But I must say it has stuck in my craw all this time. I posted to Andrew's thread today regarding "Where are you 'from,'" and mentioned the challenges I faced growing up dealing with both subconscious and malicious racism. Writing that today reminded me of these smilies and prompted this post.

Thanks to all for your consideration.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Request to remove offensive smilies

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ll second this request!

I wouldn’t be surprised if those smilies are baked into the underlying software and therefore not easily removable. If so, at a minimum a concern ought to be sent along to the developer requesting their removal in a future update.
Drew
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

I agree, John!!..they s/b removed... :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I don't disagree with the above, but I suspect the smilies come with the forum software and may not be configurable.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I agree. Though to the forum membership’s credit, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them used.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I quite like the one with the moustache as an interesting face that may have a use but agree that labelling it as Asian is offensive. The teeth one could also be used when someone gets their first adult teeth but again calling it Chinese is something else...

Even if they are built in they could be removed (at least until an update reinstates them) by simply deleting the gif on the server. Playing around in the source reveals this will replace the pic with the text - I changed biggrin.gif to biggrin2.gif which doesn't exist and that shows this

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I concur.

That said long term members will be aware of my abhorrence of the use of any/all emoticons.

They are the curse of the modern era and I shudder when seeing each and every one of them.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

No excuses, they should be removed.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Agreed.
It would be good to address this if possible.
rgds
Ian
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Fully agree. They would be fine if they didn't have those names but they do and that's not OK.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thank you all for bringing this matter to our attention. We will be looking today at whether it is possible to remove these items. Please bear with us. Thank you.

Steve
pp Admin Team.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)