Are college/university rings a thing in the UK?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Are college/university rings a thing in the UK?

Post by jkbarnes »

For some reason I felt compelled to put my school ring on today when my wife and I headed out for a drive. Normally I only wear it now on special occasions, so I don’t know what made me want to wear it today. I used to wear it regularly until my first marriage when it got bumped in favor of a wedding ring. It never felt quite right on the other hand. I’m immensely proud of this ring as it represents four years of incredibly hard work as I both earned a degree and discovered who I was.

My grandfather was fiercely proud of his college ring and what it represented. He NEVER took it off. By the time I was an adult the cut stone on his ring had been worn smooth. While my grandmother kept his wedding ring when he passed away (I currently wear it as my wedding ring for my second marriage), she buried him with his college ring. It meant that much to him.

My dad wears his almost daily too.

So are school rings a thing in the UK?

C1C18183-482D-428E-A6BF-4E0FD027B3AC.jpeg
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Are college/university rings a thing in the UK?

Post by exHowfener »

No.

Though since we imported the ghastly prom night, who knows what's next?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Nope. I wouldn't be attached to mine anyway, I went too early in life so didn't chose a sensible course then couldn't be bothered to get a gap year placement so failed to get a related job and now my degree is useless. I didn't pick up any friends or "find myself" so the only thing I have to remember those years by is the monthly student loan deduction on my payslip, something that will probably still be there when I retire.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

It’s interesting. Given the attachment my father and grandfather had to theirs, I never considered NOT getting and just assumed everyone got a college ring. Yet among my friends, the ones I made at school who remain my closest friends to this day, I’m the only one who got a ring. My wife didn’t get one, as she feels very little attachment to the university she attended. Maybe I’m the odd man out amongst my peers?
Drew
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by CHZacc »

We do have Ties though :D
These users thanked the author CHZacc for the post:
albionphoto
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C700 Grande Rapide ETA 7750
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

CHZacc wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:45 pm We do have Ties though :D
At the risk of looking foolish, I’ve got both a college rep tie, a bow tie, a scarf with the official (so they say) tartan and a second wool scarf done in the bold stripe style one apparently finds with UK universities (again, so they say). I’m a sucker for good marketing from my school I guess and am not embarrassed to say I’m immensely proud of having attended.

I’ll need to post my argyle socks in the school colors to the socks & shirts thread.

By the way, I hope some American forum members chime in about having a school ring!
Drew
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I had both a high school and college ring. As much as I enjoyed both at that time. I really had no sentimental attachment to either. I sold them both for the gold value and made out fairly well as I recall. No regrets all.

That said, I do under the sentimental and emotional attachment some get to the rings. Especially for those that went to high profile Universities. Sort of like the attachment we get to certain family watches, or those purchased to mark life events.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

It was all about the yearbooks and writing on school shirts for me
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Ive never even heard of school/college rings!
I presume as college/uni is maybe a little less "popular" over here its not introduced itself..???

As said, the nearest we had in the 90s was everyone signing your shirt on the last day of high school. And thats got lost a long time ago!

Prom is fairly new to me. We certainly didnt have it in the early 90s when I left school.
My eldest lad didnt even bother with his, saying " I see my mates every day, I have a girlfriend, and I cant dance. Why the **** would I wana go to that!"
Couldnt fault him!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

My university is collegiate, and has something over 30 colleges with up to a few hundred students at any one time.

Although we identified with the University, particularly in sporting fixtures against the “other lot”, an individual’s main allegiance was to his or her college. It was fine as an undergraduate to wear a college scarf or sweatshirt, though this was back in the 70s and I don’t know whether they still do wear them to that extent.

I have the odd college and university tie lying around, but I never wear them. I believe a couple of friends of mine have college cufflinks. One even wore them when I was Best Man at his wedding.

I think generally that university paraphernalia would not be so highly regarded. And don’t get me going about those Bremont watches!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

As others have said rings are not a ‘thing in the UK’. In all my years as a student, teacher and parent the only ‘thing’ that has crept in has been the prom and that was only 10 years ago. Very much an American import much like Halloween.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
tikkathree
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

In general, I’d say college/university grads maintain an affinity for their school after they graduate, more so maybe if it’s a Division 1 school with nationally known athletics programs. That’s not the case for me, as athletics at my school are far more in line with the amateur nature the college athletics is supposed to be.

For me, the pride and affinity I feel is tied to my time there, how hard I worked, and my school’s rich history. The ring is just one small expression of that.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:21 pm For me, the pride and affinity I feel is tied to my time there, how hard I worked, and my school’s rich history. The ring is just one small expression of that.
I remember you talking about the history of your university, and it’s being a relatively early American foundation. Absolutely right to be proud of its heritage.

My college was founded in 1427! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 pm My college was founded in 1427! :lol:
You’ve got me there, by 250+ years! I’ve had a desire for a nice pair of school cuff links for awhile now, but I simply don’t have nearly enough occasions to wear French cuffs to justify it.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 pm By the way, I hope some American forum members chime in about having a school ring!
My own opinion is that buying a ring depends on the individual school culture and tradition. I went to the University of Chicago (where fun goes to die, at least back then it did), and as far as I know, nobody ever bought a ring (I'm not even sure they sell them). My older sister attended MIT, where I understand almost all students purchase a ring. Their school mascot is the beaver which is on the ring (they call it the brass rat). While in school, the brass rat is "right side up" if you hold your hand with fingers pointing skyward, and after graduating the ring is worn in reverse. The idea behind it is the school sh**s on you, the student, while you're attending, but after graduating you sh** on the world....or something to that effect. My sister never wears her ring, which I suspect is true for most students there, but bought one just the same because of the strong tradition.

From the ring picture and the aforementioned green and yellow colors, I'm guessing you're a William & Mary alum?
Best regards,
John