jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Where are you “from”

Post by jkbarnes »

Kip wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:13 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:06 pm
ajax87 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:06 pm Fun fact: I never figured out what people from Massachusetts are officially called.
“Bless you!” I think.

KIp might know. He lives next door.
Here you go Alex.
I asked my Cape Cod born and raised wife what people from Massachusetts are called while on our walk today.

Her first response: “Masshole” followed by a fit of laughter.

Her follow up: “Nothing really. It’s more about where you’re from in Massachusetts - a Bostonian, or a Cape Codder, or from the South Shore. Except for the area west of Boston through the Berkshires - that’s a f*cking wasteland.” Then she said “That’s horrible, I shouldn’t say that.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Drew
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

In Norway regional identity is pretty strong, but not to the extent that it invokes hostility. I would guess like in the UK. Me, I’m born on the West coast, but have lived in or close to the capital for 35 years. Like Steve (@AVO) I’m more of an ‘anywhere’ than a ‘somewhere’.
Bjørn
Lkrm
Senior
Senior

Post by Lkrm »

Born in Cardiff, Wales. Consider myself Welsh and British (and Cardiffian) :D
Louis

C5 Malvern mark III
C65 Trident 316LE Yellow
Spinnaker Bradner
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Born and raised in Denmark. Moved to the US permanently in 2002, and I've been an American citizen for about ten years now. I work for a Danish company here in the US so I get to keep the language up which can be hard when you've moved away from your birth nation.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

As my username suggests, I was born and raised in Wales. Specifically, at the southern end of the Rhondda valley in South Wales.

I emigrated to England at the age of 18 to go to university and have never moved back as my chosen career doesn't have any employment in Wales. :roll: So, I've spent my adult life living in England - originally in various nice towns and cities in the south of England, but I have been in Yorkshire since 2000. My wife is English and both my kids were born in Yorkshire.

So what does that make me? Well, simply a Welsh man who lives in England. But the Welsh bit is really only for sport, in practice. As a nationality, I always put British. I also see myself as a European and general citizen of the world. That's not meant to make anyone retch, but I have often reflected in my life how much rampant xenophobia contributes to wars and international tension, fuelled by a primitive tribal instinct built in to humans, so I try to rail against that wherever I can in my own small way.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

English by birth, Yorkshire by the grace of god!

I identify myself as English, not British. I put English on all forms unless it’s an online form which only has British on it. In no way, shape or form could I ever class myself as European! For all it’s faults, I’m proud to be English just like Welsh, Scottish, Irish people are proud of what they are. The big problem, as I see it, is that it’s accepted to say you’re Welsh, Scottish etc... but not generally accepted to say you’re English? If I’m abroad etc.. and I’m asked where I’m from I say Yorkshire, England.

Also, England is the only country in the union that doesn’t have its own National Anthem, but that’s another debate!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

welshlad wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:09 pm …but I have often reflected in my life how much rampant xenophobia contributes to wars and international tension, fuelled by a primitive tribal instinct built in to humans, so I try to rail against that wherever I can in my own small way.
Excellent point! I couldn’t agree more. The best way to combat the negatives of nationalism run amuck is to travel far and wide and spend time with people and in places outside one’s comfort zone.
Drew
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I'm British on official forms, if someone asks in conversation then its from the North West or Lancashire or the Fylde Coast.. depending on the context and their own geography. Its not a question national or regional pride or sense of identity to me, its just factual. I also consider myself to be European!
I live in Greater London and have for 30 years but would never say I'm from London as I'm not, I just happen to live there.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Where I'm from is a place. Nationality is different, and changeable should one wish (and be accepted), same goes for residence. I have never thought as myself as "European".

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I was born and live in West Yorkshire, England. If someone asked me where I am from I would reply im from Engand, UK. I'm English but am also proud to be British and find it sad that Scotland may leave our union. Its probably too deep to discuss on this post but just to say I love the Scots and would miss you all if you left us. Im a bit of a saddo and just want to feel love and friendship between all nations xxx
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:30 pm
Kip wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:13 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:06 pm

“Bless you!” I think.

KIp might know. He lives next door.
Here you go Alex.
I asked my Cape Cod born and raised wife what people from Massachusetts are called while on our walk today.

Her first response: “Masshole” followed by a fit of laughter.

Her follow up: “Nothing really. It’s more about where you’re from in Massachusetts - a Bostonian, or a Cape Codder, or from the South Shore. Except for the area west of Boston through the Berkshires - that’s a f*cking wasteland.” Then she said “That’s horrible, I shouldn’t say that.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well there we go! Masshole seems pretty widely accepted. Lol.

I’ve driven through the Berkshires a few times, twice in the fall. Nice scenery, though she’s right that there’s not much out there!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:46 am.
I’ve driven through the Berkshires a few times, twice in the fall. Nice scenery, though she’s right that there’s not much out there!
I think her point was Boston and the environs are nice, the Berkshires are nice, what’s in between is a wasteland. I left out the part when she said people from that wasteland are called Meth heads! Then she said her comment was horrible.

She’s as sweet as can be, honest. It’s just that Massachusetts regionalism dies hard.
Drew
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

Dickchins wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:07 pm
ciclismosam wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:39 pm This thread had me musing and in a more lighthearted note I picked out this shirt to lounge around in for Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best pal is a hammer. That made me chuckle!!! Good skills that man!
Glad to give a bit of a chuckle. Grats to all the Hammers this year as it really was a great one! I haven't been back to England in several years now unfortunately but I caught several matches from 2010 to 2015. I really enjoy all of my trips to Upton Park and look forward to catching a match at the new stadium eventually!
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Apologies for the late response, I've been traveling this week (first time since the pandemic struck) and am trying to catch up.

My parents immigrated from Korea, I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, spent almost all of my childhood in Saginaw, Michigan, then went to college and graduate school in Chicago, and stayed there for nearly 20 years. I moved to the Bay Area in 2004 and have remained here since.

Up until recently, I would always tell people in the Bay Area that I'm from Chicago. I met my wife there (in college), got my first real job there, bought my first home there, had my first dog there, and had my first kid born there. But we are now in our 17th year here in Tiburon, California, and my kids are teenagers, with one going to college in August. Because they identify as being "from the San Francisco Bay Area" this place has now become home to me. I honestly just realized that "I'm from the Bay Area" because this thread made me think pretty hard about it.

So kudos to JKB (Andrew) for another provocative post!

p.s. I unfortunately still root for the hapless Detroit Lions in the National Football League. Can't seem to shake that one, which doesn't make sense given how abysmal they are. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Funny side story…

I have English neighbors. We met when our sons were in kindergarten together. Their son Josh had a very strong English accent in kindergarten but by now (senior in HS) you only hear hints of it. His parents made a funny observation once years ago that they never thought they’d have an American child. They also have two more children born here.

On a more serious note, the son once commented that to his American friends, he’s English, but to his English cousins, he’s Americans. He’s complained of not fitting in anywhere. I’ve heard a similar thing from students who were born here while their parents are immigrants - feeling like an outsider in the States despite being born here and an outsider back in the home country for NOT being born there.
Drew