Where are you “from”

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Where are you “from”

Post by jkbarnes »

A side discussion about English vs. British has emerged over on the thread about CW’s slogan that I find fascinating. Rather than side track that thread, I thought I’d start a new one posing the question about how forum members identify themselves and where they’re from.

As an American, English often was synonymous with British, and England with the UK. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland…what are those? [For a humorous take on the American perspective, I give you Ted Lasso.] It wasn’t until I had an English coworker that I started to understand the different regions and identities within the UK. Interestingly, she said she never thought of herself as British until she moved to the US in the mid-80s. She was English. Her grandmother was Scottish. She had grandfather who was Welsh. She said living in the US made her British, in part because that was the first time she ever really heard that term used to describe national identity.

Here in the United States, it can be equally interesting. I tell people I’m from Virginia, but I would never call myself a Virginian. I’ve lived here since 1979, but I wasn’t born here, not do I have roots here. My wife has lived most of her adult life in Maryland but doesn’t at all consider herself a Marylander. When asked, she tells people she’s from Massachusetts and lives in Maryland, and more specifically that she’s a Cape Codder because she was born and raised on the Cape. (That’s a point of pride to the point that she and her middle brother tease the youngest brother that he’s NOT a Cape Codder because he was born off Cape!)

To add to the confusion, my parents were both born and raised in New York City, so I’ve always felt a connection to NY. In fact, my wife says I have a NY vibe, whatever that means. My NY cousins think I’m a southerner! And oddly, while I was born in Arkansas and have lived most of my life in Virginia, the capital of the Confederacy, I have never considered myself a Southerner nor have I ever called myself a Southerner. Being a Southerner is very much a state of mind and cultural identity that I don’t have. Full disclosure though, I live in the metro Washington, DC, area in northern Virginia. This area is so transient that it’s barely Virginia.

And as a final thought, I’ve always thought of myself as an American first, with my state coming a distant second. Maybe that’s because I was military brat and lived in 7 states by the time I was 18? There are some states where the residents absolutely identify themselves by state first, American second.

I’ll end on this. The noted American Civil War historian Shelby Foote once said about the Civil War that it turned the United States from an are to an is. As in, before the war people would say, “the United States are…” where as after the war people would say, “the United States is… .” I find that fascinating.

Thoughts, comments, observations welcomed and encouraged.
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Where are you from?

Post by exHowfener »

I've described myself as either British or English depending on who I'm speaking to. Because I'm both. But when i lived in Scotland, I didn't need to use either - as soon as I opened my mouth, people knew I was English! To be honest though, the "where are you from" tends to be more regional (or town) than national in the U.K.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Where are you from?

Post by suicidal_orange »

exHowfener has it right - the moment I open my mouth I'm clearly not Welsh or Scottish and if I've been spending my time with locals most British people would guess I'm from the South West so it's not a question I get asked often, unless they are asking what town specifically. Was quite amusing when I spent a lot of time with an East Ender at uni though - I picked up his accent and confused the Northern locals :lol:

The only time British could be an option would be in forums with a location field but that will always say England - that being the most exact answer I can hope a foreigner to have heard of. Here of course being the exception as it's actually "local".
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Where are you “from”

Post by StrapMeister »

First and foremost I would say I'm British.
I fill in forms stating I'm British, I hold a British Passport.
However, when it comes to something like Rugby, for example, then I'm English.
When, someone in the UK asks me where I'm from I usually state the County and then the nearest major Town.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

My parents were Polish and I was born in Essex UK, I guess that makes me an Alien.

Edit: I would happily add more but that would stray into politics.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I am an American (Naturalized) who was born and partially raised in Canada. Virtually all my schooling was in the USA. I spent my youth in Massachusetts and relocated to New Hampshire 36 years ago.

If anyone asks I am an American. If an American asks where I am from, I say New Hampshire.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Hertfordshire, UK

Lived in the same village all my life, bar ten years after leaving school when in the Army, which I spent in various locations in England and West Germany (as it was then).

I was a babe in arms when my parents moved into a newly built house in the same village. They lived there, for 56 years, until they both died in the same year.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Where are you “from”

Post by ciclismosam »

A really interesting post. For myself if asked where I am from I say Chicago, which really means greater metropolitan chicago area. The first 18 years of my life were spent there, my parents are still there. However, I don’t intend to move back there someday and I don’t consider it home any more having not lived there since 2004, and am just a visitor now.

Since joining the military I have lived in England, South Korea twice, Germany, New Mexico, and now Nevada. I don’t k ow how many more places I’ll live before I get to find a place to settled down and call home on a more permanent basis.

Regardless, when I think about myself I consider myself American. State and Citi don’t matter, but where I am from I say the city, possibly because it is a a major city. This honestly has been a really interesting thing to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Scottish (and British)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I was born in England and have lived the majority of my life in England, but I refer to myself as British. I lived in Scotland for 10 years, and I have also lived in France.

In my heart I’m European, but we had probably better not get started on that one. :silent:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Born in a town in Somerset and have lived here for all but 2 years when HM Inspector of Taxes (as was then) decided to promote me and sent me to Surrey.

I consider myself from Somerset.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I was born in Liverpool, grew up just outside Oldham and now live in West Yorkshire. My accent has the odd Scouse word picked up from parents and friends but is mainly a hybrid Lancashire/Yorkshire one. I see my self as a Northerner, rather than anything specific.

When I worked overseas in West Africa, most non British people referred to us as the UK and whenever I’m asked where I’m from when abroad I’ll say I’m from the UK for this reason alone.

If I’m asked to be more specific, I’ll usually say where it is in living at the time or just a general North of England.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
downer

Post by downer »

The "Where are you from" question seems to be a staple small-talk question in the USA. I always answered with "I'm from the UK", which often invoked the supplementary question, "Oh, are you from London?". No.

I consider myself British rather than English.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Just to expand a little on my previous answer.

I’m not particularly what they call a “Roots” person. The soil is not really in my soul, so to speak. I haven’t returned to the area where I grew up for over four years, in fact since the day I handed the keys to my late mother’s house over to the estate agents. I have a couple of cousins in the vicinity, so I must make a return journey at some point.

I refer to myself as British, but I’m certainly not very patriotic. There are many things about the country I was born in that I don’t like. All countries have their pros and cons, and in many ways I am pretty fortunate. However, I can think of quite a few places I would far rather live.

Oh and a little aside; I did once hear tell of a visitor who said something like:

“We loved Edinburrow! We thought it was the nicest town in England.” :escape:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

downer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:46 am The "Where are you from" question seems to be a staple small-talk question in the USA. I always answered with "I'm from the UK", which often invoked the supplementary question, "Oh, are you from London?". No.

I consider myself British rather than English.
I always answer "I'm from London" when asked the "Where are you from" question. I find it immediately pinpoints my origin, provides the person asking the question something with which to expand the conversation, it's surely 1 of the most widely known cities in the UK plus I'm proud of being born in London, especially East London as some questioners will then ask "Are you are a real "Cokk-a-nee" having only seen D**k van Dyke's version :lol: