Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Where are you “from”

Post by iain »

scooter wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm
iain wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:10 pm ^^^^^ As a northerner, I thought everyone from just south of Sheffield was a cockney.....
As a south westerner I thought everyone north of Bristol was from a different planet.

scooter
You’re probably right, there are people round here that still point at aeroplanes.....
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

iain wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:47 pm You’re probably right, there are people round here that still point at aeroplanes.....
That’s okay until you realise they are actually cabin crew working out of LBA.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 pm That’s okay until you realise they are actually cabin crew working out of LBA.
LBA - Leeds Bradford Airport, isn’t that the home of Yorkshire Airways?

https://youtu.be/WQcjanPGqAA
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

timor54 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:36 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:32 pm
I spent a couple of years commuting from Saaarf of the Thames/Surrey to Southgate/ Cockfosters and the North Londoners' dislike of Saaarf London was obvious!
Southgate is outside the North Circular. That’s barely London.
No hes not. Hes tryna organise this shambles of an England team :escape:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

iain wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:12 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 pm That’s okay until you realise they are actually cabin crew working out of LBA.
LBA - Leeds Bradford Airport, isn’t that the home of Yorkshire Airways?

https://youtu.be/WQcjanPGqAA
Certainly is, lad. Has tha ever flown wi’ Boycott? I usually go Alan Bennett Class misen.

Mind you, to be fair it’s also the home of Jet2, which is far and away my favourite budget airline. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

You’re probably right, there are people round here that still point at aeroplanes.....
To be fair, we don't see as many round here as we used to.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

where are you from?

This is something I very rarely ask anyone as depending on where you are and what your purpose there the answer can be difficult and the question can be offensive. I'm much more interested in where are you now? How did you get there? What's your story?

In any case, I grew up in a mining town very close to Edinburgh in Scotland. I very much see myself as Scottish and British. Having journeyed via the North East of Scotland and East London I now reside a 5 minute walk from CW headquarters in Maidenhead where I'll probably die. I don't think I'm from any one place, I'm from everywhere I've ever been.

I do find it irritating when people confuse England with Britain although I don't hold it against anyone as there are plenty of British people that don't really understand Great Britain and the United Kingdom either.
For the avoidance of doubt, Great Britain is the island made up by Scotland, Wales, and England. Each of them are part of the union (with Northern Ireland) that forms the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain but it is part of the UK. England is not Britain. England is part of a Britain.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 pm
For the avoidance of doubt, Great Britain is the island made up by Scotland, Wales, and England. Each of them are part of the union (with Northern Ireland) that forms the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain but it is part of the UK. England is not Britain. England is part of a Britain.
Very well put, although the GB+NI/ UK thing can still be utterly baffling. Once mastered, we can sling Isle of Man in to the equation.......
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:45 pm
scooter wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm As a south westerner I thought everyone north of Bristol was from a different planet.
They were. Earth.
Ouch!

I can play that game with 'Normal for Norfolk'.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 pm
Very well put, although the GB+NI/ UK thing can still be utterly baffling. Once mastered, we can sling Isle of Man in to the equation.......
I'll be leaving them well alone along with the multiples of other self governed "British" islands/territories.

You can keep that headache all to yourself :lol:
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Pass. How about explaining the offside rule and cricket for our American cousins?
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Born in Bristol, brought up in South West England (gloucestershire, Devon and Cornwall). Uni in Birmingham where I met my wife who was from Grimsby (but originally south coast of England).
Lived in Newcastle for 10 years after graduating before moving to North Yorkshire.
So I guess that makes be thoroughly English, but I have no strong affiliation to any part of the U.K, if someone asks I say I’m from the south west, or Bristol, but I haven’t stepped foot in the place for decades. I’ve retained my “southern” accent and seemed to have passed this on to my kids, who I’m sure will gradually develop. a local accent.

I identify as British.

I tend to find when you talk to anyone British they also have several regional ties to different parts of our island.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm