My ‘failed’ watch collection

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: My ‘failed’ watch collection

Post by H0rati0 »

Richard, you have a good eye my man. Onwards and upwards!

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Some lovely watches there but of course I have had the fortune to have seen them before.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks for the additional pics!
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:39 pm Richard, you have a good eye my man. Onwards and upwards!

nik
Thank you Nik, very kind of you to say that.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

scooter wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:03 pm Some lovely watches there but of course I have had the fortune to have seen them before.

scooter
Thank you.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:08 pm Thanks for the additional pics!
No problem.
Richard

A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Clever use of the term 'failed'!
I think in this case yesterday's failure is today's treasure.

I particularly like the Railmaster Chrono :thumbup:
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Like the Autavia it failed to impress customers who’s preference was for the Seamaster Aqua Terra. Visually similar but with one big difference, the Aqua Terra came with a date window.
Isn't it odd that the Railmaster failed due to a lack of date, but the same "flaw" is a defining characteristic of the Speedmaster?
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Very nice Richard. It shows how marginal the decisions must be in deciding what makes it in to full production. On the contrary, I really like the yellow/black prototype.
Congrats on the Bees, by the way!
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Lavaine wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:28 pm
Like the Autavia it failed to impress customers who’s preference was for the Seamaster Aqua Terra. Visually similar but with one big difference, the Aqua Terra came with a date window.
Isn't it odd that the Railmaster failed due to a lack of date, but the same "flaw" is a defining characteristic of the Speedmaster?
The problem for the Railmaster was it’s price point, which was similar to the AT. Perhaps customers thought they were getting more for their money with the AT and ignored the key element of the Railmaster, the anti-magnetic qualities. The Railmaster anti-magnetic dials are 1 mm thick, as opposed to the usual 0.4 mm. The dials also have amazing luminescent markers for improved visibility, great tool watch.
Richard

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:10 pm Very nice Richard. It shows how marginal the decisions must be in deciding what makes it in to full production. On the contrary, I really like the yellow/black prototype.
Congrats on the Bees, by the way!
Thanks, coincidentally a few folk have nicked named the yellow/black prototype the BEE.
Richard

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I guess the Speedy had no competition within its own brand stable.
Richard

thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’ve been enamored of the Moon watch for years, and even saved to buy one. I’ve since redirected my interest, in part, because the Speedmaster Professional does NOT have a date! I like its story, history, and the overall look. I have little use for a chrono and I want a date. :) Also, the watch is rather large; I have not yet tried on a Reduced. Ah, well.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

It’s interesting to see these “failed” watches. They all seem appealing to me to varying degrees. The marketplace can be fickle. I’m not above fickleness myself. :)
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:50 pm That Autavia is a real beauty! Was there ever a thread on that Worldtimer prototype? I’d love to hear more about it.

Any chance we can get a few close up pics of the watches, or at least the two I reference? :lol:
As promised:

540E8808-324A-45E5-8A49-E4B050C8A76B.jpeg

7F13D2B6-1162-4D75-B419-AE113375C50B.jpeg

93142789-E36E-48B1-B57B-64011FB0E1E2.jpeg
Richard