Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Vehicles for Adventure

Post by Thermexman »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:53 pm
Thermexman wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:48 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:04 pm

What do flashing blues mean?
The flashing blue lights atop the Paramedic car.
In conjunction with the siren, they’re known as Blues & twos. (Two tones or nee nahs).

A69D3E33-97F9-4D06-9E16-BB03D19275A7.jpeg
Ahh, that makes sense now. I misunderstood and thought the traffic signal changed from green to flashing blues. Now I feel like an idiot, having missed the obvious! :lol:
Don’t beat yourself up. It’s my odd humour, it confuses people all the time. :thumbup:
Steve.
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

No, I didn't get to fly a Spitfire! It may only be a humble Chipmunk but the fact that it belongs to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the view when strapping in was of a Spitfire and Hurricane (unable to post photo) made the hairs on the back of neck stand up.attachment=1]52F572ED-EF03-4D58-B511-204C79237794.jpeg[/attachment]
86D1FEB4-3467-4C75-A17F-3D3875923E50_1_201_a.jpeg
Attachments
52F572ED-EF03-4D58-B511-204C79237794.jpeg
Gordon
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by ciclismosam »

nordwulf wrote:It may be a good idea to get something small, light and used as your first motorbike. It will hurt less (physically and financially) when you drop it. And you will drop it as a new rider. Adventure bikes are cool but usually also have a high center of gravity. When they start to tip over, it can be tough to control 500 lbs of top heavy bike.

Start with something like a 250-350cc as a first bike. Learn what kind of riding you will be doing and go from there. The desert is different story. I have toured California, Nevada and Arizona but you better are prepared when you take an adventure bike off-road.

I had a Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 in 2005. About 100hp and pretty quick, even loaded up with luggage. Took her on a trip from Michigan to Cape Breton in Canada. Even on paved roads, it still was an awesome adventure riding 4500 miles in 2 weeks.
https://nordwulf.wordpress.com/2005/07/ ... sa-part-1/

I also had a V-Strom DL650 which is a bit lighter and not as fast. Still plenty of hp but a bit easier to handle when you go off pavement. Lots of great adventures with this bike as well.

Really great bikes, affordable and reliable. It is not uncommon these go 100K+ miles with just maintenance and no major repairs.

Some great advice & background experience, looks like you’ve had done great adventures yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

GTC854 wrote:No, I didn't get to fly a Spitfire! It may only be a humble Chipmunk but the fact that it belongs to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the view when strapping in was of a Spitfire and Hurricane (unable to post photo) made the hairs on the back of neck stand up.attachment=1]52F572ED-EF03-4D58-B511-204C79237794.jpeg[/attachment]
86D1FEB4-3467-4C75-A17F-3D3875923E50_1_201_a.jpeg
Ok that look so cool! The spitfire, along with the SR-71 Blackbird is my favorite aircraft. What an experience that had to be!

Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Dickchins wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:18 pm
I drive an estate car (maybe referred to as a station wagon..?), which isnt very offroad but gets to 60mph in under 5 seconds and fits my 8 1/2st dog in so itll do for me!
I'm sorry, but this is completely unacceptable. You CANNOT post that you have a sub 5 second estate, and then not share a picture (or at least tell us what it is)! I wish we got more estates in Canada. If they were available here, I likely would have bought the estate when I bought my Golf R. Manufacturers think every North American driver wants an SUV. I'd take a wagon every time over a comparable SUV.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Ha! Fair enough mate!

Ive no pictures that I can find and im stuck at work at the mo, but its the Skoda Octavia VRS. Has the winter pack and factory "black pack" (bigger wheels, twin pipes, and 230bhp as standard.
Its the Golf R engine in, thats just been detuned to 230bhp so I remapped it back to how god intended and its now 310bhp (just under). No engine mods needed other than air filter and whatever the tuning guys did!
Not really an adventure vehicle, but it fits all the camping gear, mahoosive dog, bikes, and kids. And does it at warp speed!

Itll do for now!!!
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Ok that look so cool! The spitfire, along with the SR-71 Blackbird is my favorite aircraft. What an experience that had to be!

[/quote]
It was quite a day and one I will not forget. In those days the Memorial Flight use the Chipmunk to allow new pilots to build 'tail dragging' experience before flying the Hurricane (which is of course a single seater). Once they built up Hurricane hours they transitioned on to the Spitfires. One of them told me of the intense responsibility he felt when getting into the Hurricane for the first time and the relief he felt on landing it without a hitch.
I remember seeing the SR-71 at Farnborough Airshow - think it was 1974 - when the aircraft broke the record for a transatlantic flight. It was travelling so fast that it flew right across England to Holland to enable it to slow down enough for landing back in the UK.
Gordon
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Dickchins wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:21 am Ha! Fair enough mate!

Ive no pictures that I can find and im stuck at work at the mo, but its the Skoda Octavia VRS. Has the winter pack and factory "black pack" (bigger wheels, twin pipes, and 230bhp as standard.
Its the Golf R engine in, thats just been detuned to 230bhp so I remapped it back to how god intended and its now 310bhp (just under). No engine mods needed other than air filter and whatever the tuning guys did!
Not really an adventure vehicle, but it fits all the camping gear, mahoosive dog, bikes, and kids. And does it at warp speed!

Itll do for now!!!
Definitely a little jealous of your estate. I'd love to have that extra space. The Octavia is a nice car. We had a 4 door Octavia TDI hatchback rental when we went to Iceland. I really liked the sedan body style with the convenience of a hatchback. That, and the diesel went forever on a tank of gas.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

That Spitfire is the sexiest aeroplane ever.

We sometimes have them flying around where I live, and the noise alone makes you smile.

My dad still gets excited by them as he can remember them fighting in the sky's over Portsmouth during the war, and instead of being in their air raid shelters they used to sit on them cheering every time a German bomber was shot down. He says the thought of roar of the neighbours cheering still sends goose bumps up his arms.
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side