The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm Blimey, we're slow enough without me walking 280 yds (I wish) back to the tee.
I think the friendly rule is a bit leanient, meaning if I hit it 280 and don't find it, I would be playing my 3rd from 280 yds ahead of the tee.
I think someone made us play what they called "Stroke and distance" on a society day and we've stuck with that ever since.
But I couldn't make head nor tail of the official rules.

Regards Steve
Steve,

You shouldn't be having to walk back - if there is ANY possibility that your ball is lost then a provisional ball should be announced and played after your fellow players in your tee-time have played their first ball.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm Blimey, we're slow enough without me walking 280 yds (I wish) back to the tee.
I think the friendly rule is a bit leanient, meaning if I hit it 280 and don't find it, I would be playing my 3rd from 280 yds ahead of the tee.
I think someone made us play what they called "Stroke and distance" on a society day and we've stuck with that ever since.
But I couldn't make head nor tail of the official rules.

Regards Steve
"Friendly" option is not a rule. It is something that could be used and agreed informally within a group of people IF they wish to retain pace of play maybe on a busy day on the course when they are just out for a round of golf that is non-competitive.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Thanks for the replies.
So in summary, it appears someone made up the rule we use, of dropping and taking 2 penalty strokes ?
I'm a bit of a legend, when it comes to spotting and finding balls, so it's a pretty rare occurrence.
The problem we face is when one of us, slices our tee shots into the woods, then hits the provisional massively left.
Zig zagging, which not only slows things down, but is tiring.
That does happen quite often at our level !

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:43 pm It makes sense, Steve. If you think your ball might be lost you can hit a provisional third from the tee. And then pick it up if you find your original ball.

When I played at Pitlochry in the 80s (lovely little course) the first five holes were all uphill with an out of bounds down the right. Being a bit of a banana slicer I got very used to playing provisional third shots.

I went to the range again the other day and was hitting reasonably straight with that driver I got from you. The final drive of my lesson last week was straight over the marker and felt pretty long.

“That one carried about 240”, she said.

“I’ve never hit a ball that far in my life!” I replied.

“You just did!” :shock:
240 Carry!
Absolutely no chance whatsoever Amor Bryson Omnia!!! She obviously fancies you! If you only allowed a 35 yard roll out that means you hit it further than the average for the US pga seniors tour! So that's better than langer or montgomerie!
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

stefs wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 am 240 Carry!
Absolutely no chance whatsoever Amor Bryson Omnia!!! She obviously fancies you! If you only allowed a 35 yard roll out that means you hit it further than the average for the US pga seniors tour! So that's better than langer or montgomerie!
You are of course absolutely right! I suspect that either her spatial awareness or my hearing was at fault there. Clearly nonsense as you say. I was down at the range today and took careful note of the distance markers. My best shots with the driver seemed to be carrying something over 150, which to be honest I would be very pleased with. Main thing for me to focus on at the moment is consistency, getting it straight rather more often and not worrying about the distance.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Steve
The way I am playing I think I would swap my driving dross for a straight 150 yard carry!
I played the 2 tough courses at the warwickshire last week. Day 1 driving far too short but in play. Good wedge game so scored ok with 37 points
Day2 driving was an utter disgrace. Lost a miilion golf balls, gave up playing on 16th and was convinced that was me finally selling my clubs to stop putting myself through the torture 3 games out of every 4. Hate the game! There is nothing more frustrating or less relaxing than a game of golf!
Cheers now, Paul
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

240 carry is eminently possible...you don’t have to be a pro. On a good day I can carry that distance.

^^^^^^ I’ve played the Warwickshire.... :thumbup: Nice venue.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

village wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:52 pm 240 carry is eminently possible...you don’t have to be a pro. On a good day I can carry that distance.

I agree, if the ball speed is in excess of 140mph then 240 carry is achievable.
I hit a 300yd total a few weeks ago, the ball set off at 159mph.
I've not been able to replicate that again though, since then I've also been hitting some big distances with my 3 wood, but as I can hit my 3 hybrid around 200 yds, I stick with that, as it goes where I aim it, on a more consistent basis.
Luckily my range has the tracer, so each hit is logged and I can look back at the data.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:23 am Thanks for the replies.
So in summary, it appears someone made up the rule we use, of dropping and taking 2 penalty strokes ?
I'm a bit of a legend, when it comes to spotting and finding balls, so it's a pretty rare occurrence.
The problem we face is when one of us, slices our tee shots into the woods, then hits the provisional massively left.
Zig zagging, which not only slows things down, but is tiring.
That does happen quite often at our level !

Regards Steve
Hi Steve,
This is my understanding of it - The 2 penalty shots was not "made up" by someone but was created by the controlling golf associations (R&A, USGA, PGA etc) to allow any golf course to use as a local rule if they wish to, e.g. to speed up pace of play by reducing search times or similar. Each individual course can decide if they want to add it to their own local rules. The local rules will be printed on the reverse of the score card so if it's not on the card then that rule can't be used for a competitive round or any from which official handicaps will be calculated.

If your group want to use the 2 penalty shot in rounds purely amongst yourselves that's down to you as far as I'm aware. However you should not use any resulting handicaps when playing in competitive rounds outside of your group.

There are plenty of Youtube videos regarding this and other rules and any Pro should be able to answer questions about rules incidents, even if it's after the round. I wish some of the members of my course would improve their basic rules knowledge as some have weird ideas about what can be done as I discovered when playing against them in recent club knockout games and I had to inform them of their errors. I dread to think what they are doing in the Monthly Medal and Stableford competitions.

As before, if anybody thinks I have it wrong or have other incidents for discussion then I'll always welcome education re. golf rules because there are some that benefit rather than penalise.

Best of luck Steve when you play that full course - Is it somewhere nice?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 pm
village wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:52 pm 240 carry is eminently possible...you don’t have to be a pro. On a good day I can carry that distance.

I agree, if the ball speed is in excess of 140mph then 240 carry is achievable.
I hit a 300yd total a few weeks ago, the ball set off at 159mph.
I've not been able to replicate that again though, since then I've also been hitting some big distances with my 3 wood, but as I can hit my 3 hybrid around 200 yds, I stick with that, as it goes where I aim it, on a more consistent basis.
Luckily my range has the tracer, so each hit is logged and I can look back at the data.

Regards Steve
Sorry, can we go back to what your handicap is please?
Stableford points 40 and above, 300 yard drives, 159mph ball speed.
What's your swing speed to achieve the above?

Some of our single figure or plus handicappers don't achieve 300 yard drives consistently, not that that is the only factor to gain single figure handicaps but it certainly helps.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Mikkei, that's as clear as I've seen it explained so thanks for that.

I'm not sure where we'll be playing yet, probably Toot Hill or Abridge.

Regarding my Handicap, my official Handicap before joining this club (Par 64) was 28.
That was worked out on the MyOnlineGolf app, inputting all my previous rounds.
I was averaging 36 over par.
Since then I've inputted the scores at my club, even though it doesn't have a slope rating (I made it up based on other courses) and that bought it down to 22.
It's an easy course and playing it weekly, means we know the greens well and the areas of least trouble. Hence the big Stableford scores.
I have always had a big drive, I was all arms at first, and I'm quite a big fella so had some power.
I've got a better technique now, with a bit of tilt and body turn, but I still have a big slice, in my bag.
My irons are probably a bit longer than the average, but inconsistent.
So although I've been playing well lately, it could quite easily go to pot.
But a few more YouTube videos will sort that out.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 pm Mikkei, that's as clear as I've seen it explained so thanks for that.

I'm not sure where we'll be playing yet, probably Toot Hill or Abridge.

Regards Steve
Always glad to help as I'm likely to learn also and glad that it made sense.

I played Toot Hill several times when I lived in Hertfordshire and always managed to mess up the last 2 holes.
For some reason I never played Abridge, which is a bit of a shame as in the past it staged some Open Qualifier rounds so it must be decent.

Best of luck wherever you play and it'll be interesting to hear how it goes.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Seems like my lessons are starting to have an effect on my overall game. I went out yesterday in 44 and back in 40 for an 84 which scored me 38 points. I only lost one ball which was a bit unfortunate as it landed on a sprinkler head and bounced into a horrible clump of clover....I missed 3 birdie putts and an eagle putt during that round so it could’ve been better!

I won’t be able to play now for almost 2 weeks so hopefully this will carry over to the next round.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Sounds good, Andy.

I had a much better session on the range this morning. Concentrated on the coaching points I had been given and just tried to hit them straight with all the clubs, not worrying too much about length. The result was a much lower proportion of tops, slices and shanks then I had on Monday, when I was getting a bit frustrated. A much greater proportion of the shots went in approximately the right direction and flew reasonably well. With the last couple of dozen balls I tried to simulate what you might do on a course: one drive, one iron or hybrid shot, one short pitch and so on. After all, you don’t hit 20 consecutive driver shots on a golf course.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Must get to the range for awhile to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Played the same course twice this week. Shot the identical score of 86. Adequate, but not good. My irons have been horrible from the fairways. I don't think I hit more than 4 very well over the past 3 rounds. So bad today I took to hitting 3 and 5 woods by choking down on them. Chipping and putting have saved my butt, but the irons are costing me several strokes. :explode:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.