Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by magicman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:55 pm
magicman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:04 pm ^^^It's Cranfield golf club, also known as Golf Kingdom, Whalebone Lane, Romford.
Par 64/4260 yds. Hence the low scoring on strokeplay and high on Stableford.

Regards Steve
There's a couple of websites (swingbyswing and bluegolf) that list this course as having a slope of 110/113. However it's not listed by England Golf so not sure how the 2 websites have a slope rating for it but maybe your gang could agree to use this slope when playing Cranfield?
I think they could possibly be off the back of me making a rating up and putting it into MyOnlineGolf and the Golfshot App.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Any handicap system is only good if you post all scores to get a true measure of your skill level and insure fair competition.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 am Lesson booked for next Tuesday! :D :D :D
How did you get on ?

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

magicman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:28 pm How did you get on ?
Pretty good, Steve, thanks for asking. The pro was happy with my grip, set up etc. from the beginning and I was soon hitting the ball reasonably well, but a bit inconsistently. Concentrated on full swing, using 7 and 5 irons, finishing up with the driver. These clubs are very different from the things I was using 30 years ago, and they are really nice to hit. The pro is a young lady (VERY young, early 20s) and she was excellent. I will certainly book another lesson with her in the next couple of weeks, but I will also go back to the driving range and I’m playing pitch and putt with some friends on Friday, which will be a good opportunity to work with the short clubs. So yes, pretty happy.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^That's good Steve
I'm glad the clubs are working for you, I had another decent round today, scoring 36 Stableford points.
And shooting Net level par strokeplay.
I couldn't break 90 on that course a month ago , now I'm on 4 in a row sub 90 rounds.
We're going to play a big boys course next week, so perhaps I'll come back down to earth with bump, when faced with par 5s, trees and par 72s.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Actually had a good weather week for golf. managed to avoid all the afternoon thunderstorms.

The same can't be said for my game. On Tuesday, things started okay, but on the third hole my timing and rhythm went back to the clubhouse. I did manage to end the front 9 with a 43 even though I was constantly scrambling. Then it got worse. I played my match and was soundly beaten after putting up a very very ugly 46. The match was over after 6 holes. :(

Played on Thursday at a different course. Things did not start well and seemed tp be a continuation of Tuesday. The first five hole were as bad as I have ever played as far as ball striking but somehow kept myself competitive although I was 7 over after 4. All turned around on the fifth hole, a par 5 480 yard hole, after 3 very poor shots and still being 89 yards from the flag. On my fourth shot I picked my landing spot and by some miracle hit a perfect gap wedge. The ball rolled over the 2 undulations on the green, gently turned and dropped into the hole. :shock:

That one well executed and very, very lucky shot seemed to bring back my rhythm and timing. Although my putting was a little off, it was good enough and I managed to pull out an 83 for the round playing at 2 over par for the last 14 holes.

Funny how one shot can boost your confidence and elevate your game. I guess that's why we love this bleeping game. :lol:

Now to see what next week brings....
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Lost my Sombrero today, and struggled to hit the ball well.

I have a question, I have looked at the rules but I'm still confused.

I hit a ball off the tee into the light rough, but couldn't find it, so I dropped a new ball and hit it.
How many shots had I taken ? I thought 4 but reading the rules, I couldn't confirm that.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I “think”...

If you return to the tee you can play your third shot. One shot penalty.

If you take a drop and play the ball from a point near to where the ball was lost but no closer to the hole, I think that’s a two shot penalty and you are playing four.

Someone please correct me if that’s wrong.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^ I do think, you've got that right Steve.
Makes sense because if you played the 3rd off the tee, it could be in the same spot where the first one was, then you would be hitting your 4th. There's a lot of clover on our course at the moment, do it's easy to lose a ball in there.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

It makes sense, Steve. If you think your ball might be lost you can hit a provisional third from the tee. And then pick it up if you find your original ball.

When I played at Pitlochry in the 80s (lovely little course) the first five holes were all uphill with an out of bounds down the right. Being a bit of a banana slicer I got very used to playing provisional third shots.

I went to the range again the other day and was hitting reasonably straight with that driver I got from you. The final drive of my lesson last week was straight over the marker and felt pretty long.

“That one carried about 240”, she said.

“I’ve never hit a ball that far in my life!” I replied.

“You just did!” :shock:
Steve

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:09 pm Lost my Sombrero today, and struggled to hit the ball well.

I have a question, I have looked at the rules but I'm still confused.

I hit a ball off the tee into the light rough, but couldn't find it, so I dropped a new ball and hit it.
How many shots had I taken ? I thought 4 but reading the rules, I couldn't confirm that.

Regards Steve
My understanding of the rules is that you have no option with a lost ball other than going back to where you last played from (the tee in your case) and play a 2nd ball thus it'll be your 3rd shot.

The R&A created an opportunity for golf courses to have a local rule where you could do what you have described for Out Of Bounds balls only. I've yet to know or play any course that has placed this option into their local rules. If you do play a course that allows this "local rule" my understanding is that it should be for OOB balls only and in this case you would play your dropped ball from the edge of the fairway not "from a point near to where the ball" entered the OOB, at the cost of 2 penalty shots.

So how much of a "friendly" game were you playing? For example our course's rough is so high and thick that in non-competitive games some groups play cursory look (about 1minute) for a lost ball and if not found then drop a ball at the fairway edge for 1 penalty shot, but this has to be agreed by all before any tee-off and the card cannot be used for handicap purposes.

I repeat that this is my understanding of the existing rules so I'm happy to be educated if somebody else knows otherwise or is proficient in the Rules.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Further to the above....

If you can't find your ball within three minutes, it is lost. Because it is lost, you must return to the spot of your previous stroke and play another ball for one penalty stroke (see Rule 18.2b).
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Blimey, we're slow enough without me walking 280 yds (I wish) back to the tee.
I think the friendly rule is a bit leanient, meaning if I hit it 280 and don't find it, I would be playing my 3rd from 280 yds ahead of the tee.
I think someone made us play what they called "Stroke and distance" on a society day and we've stuck with that ever since.
But I couldn't make head nor tail of the official rules.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

The rules tend to make you think!

If you lose a ball (which includes if not found within 3 minutes) then you must take stroke & distance I.e return where you took the shot from ,drop a ball and play the shot again.This is the same for a ball that goes out of bounds unless your club had initiated the local rule mentioned above. My club did do that for a short while after the tee sheets were hammered after COVID relaxation to speed up play but have since rescinded it.
There is no provision for dropping a ball near to where you lost the ball under the Rules unless the lost ball is known (or virtually certain to be known) to be ‘lost’ within a penalty area eg water hazard.In that case you drop a new ball as per the rules and take the relevant penalty. If you are playing a social game however there is nothing to stop you agreeing amongst yourselves that you can drop a ball to keep the pace of play up.
The thing to do is take a provisional ball if you think your first shot is likely to be lost...unless the original ball is known to be in a hazard in which case you cannot take a provisional. In that situation you take the appropriate action depending on the hazard OR can take another shot from the same place but that ball becomes your ball in play under the stroke & distance rules.

Clear? :lol:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm Blimey, we're slow enough without me walking 280 yds (I wish) back to the tee.
I think the friendly rule is a bit leanient, meaning if I hit it 280 and don't find it, I would be playing my 3rd from 280 yds ahead of the tee.
I think someone made us play what they called "Stroke and distance" on a society day and we've stuck with that ever since.
But I couldn't make head nor tail of the official rules.

Regards Steve
Steve,

Stroke and distance is what we've been talking about, i.e. if you have lost your ball then your only option is to return to where you last played the lost ball with a 1 stroke penalty.

The 1 penalty shot is the "Stroke" and going back to where you last played the ball is the "distance". This is the loss of "Stroke and distance" for losing your ball and what it means - if you are doing anything else then the rule has been mis-understood, mis-interpreted or I'm mis-understanding what you're saying.