The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:01 pm Mikkei4, yes Abridge on Friday, a combo of poor swing, followed by attempted tweaks and a tougher than usual course.

Cranfield today, warmed up on the range first, put in descent efforts with the driver, putted well and had some luck too.

Regards Steve
Thanks for replying Steve. I've never played Abridge but it's been an Open Qualifier course so no surprise that it was a tougher course. Enjoy East Sussex.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Fabulous afternoon of extremely non-competitive golf with four good old mates. We played on a lovely nine hole Parkland course and it was just delightful to be back on the course again after so many years.

I was really pleased to hit a driver straight down the fairway on the first, and managed to get bogey on the first two holes. Sadly, things went downhill and I carded double figures on the monster par five (580 yards) where I had a meandering tour of an adjacent fairway and some interesting bits of greenery. Didn’t manage a par but ended up with four bogeys and the “shot of the day”. On the last hole, a short par-4, I had a shortish pitch in over a greenside bunker, landed it 3 feet from the pin and managed to 3 putt from 10 feet. Had it not been for that wretched long hole and some pretty atrocious putting, I might have broken 50. Such is life.

I will get better, but it was just brilliant to be back out there. Why didn’t I do this years ago?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

^^^ Glad you are enjoying your golfing Steve.
I often think the same, why wasn't I playing golf years ago.
Hopefully we'll stay injury free, and have many years of enjoyment.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by CHZacc »

Captainsday-2021-08-14-21-35-40.jpg
Having taken early retirement last September and joining my local golf club, it's starting to pay off :D . Won our recent Captains Day. Had a gross of 84 (nett 63) 7 pars, 1 birde, 7 bogeys and 3 double bogeys . Won me an M1 Motocaddy . Informed had to go home and change into shirt/tie and jacket to attend prize giving and also prepare a speech :shock: Cut to 18 now but have more or less played to that past few rounds so happy enough
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C700 Grande Rapide ETA 7750
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

CHZacc wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:12 pm Captainsday-2021-08-14-21-35-40.jpg
Having taken early retirement last September and joining my local golf club, it's starting to pay off :D . Won our recent Captains Day. Had a gross of 84 (nett 63) 7 pars, 1 birde, 7 bogeys and 3 double bogeys . Won me an M1 Motocaddy . Informed had to go home and change into shirt/tie and jacket to attend prize giving and also prepare a speech :shock: Cut to 18 now but have more or less played to that past few rounds so happy enough
Looks like everyone played to their handicaps there. Impressive scoring.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:16 pm I'm after a bit of advice on shoes.
Back to this, I can now add a comment. I bought a pair of Callaways a few weeks ago. They were half price in a sports store sale. Absolutely no problem with them on the course yesterday.

I’m intrigued to hear that Skechers do them, however. There is a Skechers store in one of the malls in Norwich, and they said they didn’t do them. I must go back in and give them a b***ocking!
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:48 am
CHZacc wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:12 pm Captainsday-2021-08-14-21-35-40.jpg
Looks like everyone played to their handicaps there. Impressive scoring.

Regards Steve
I'm not wishing to rain on anybody's parade or offend anybody as that is not my intention so I'll say "Sorry" now just in case.

Everybody on that list has not "played to their handicaps". Every score shown has played under the handicap, some well under their handicap with the winner playing 9 shots under a handicap of 21 (If I've read that list correctly) and the 7 handicapper playing to a scratch handicap.

"Playing to your handicap" in Stableford format should give a score of 36 points, 2 points per hole or a nett score of course par in Strokeplay.
Those are high scores but they are not "playing to handicaps".

Judging from the other scores either weather conditions, course set up, competition rules, the present leniency (IMO) of the WHS Handicap Index calculation and/or generous course slope ratings or everybody playing out of their skin on the same day provided opportunities for high scoring (e.g. a 7 handicapper scoring 43 points, someone off 28 scoring 38 points).

At the 2 courses I'm involved in and through conversation with friends at other courses I perceive an overall general increase in the Stableford points scoring and a reduction of nett scores in Strokeplay. IMO this is due to the initial effect of the generosity of the new WHS HI system and/or course slope ratings. It'll take a while for this to reach reality with the length of time dependant upon how often each individual enters a proper card.
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by CHZacc »

No offence taken here. I agree with you 100% on the new WHS as i had been given a generous handicap by it due to the fact that my best 8 scores out of the last 20 where somewhat skewed due to the fact i hadnt played for a few years and was rusty ( i used to play of 14 ish). Given that and the fact i had a very good round , ie , par at index 1,2,3 getting 4 points at each (chipped in from side of green on 2 of those) and was sinking everything from 15 feet. Course is Lisburn G.C where a certain David Feherty holds the course record.
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

Amor Vincit Omnia

Talk about catch 22! :shock:

I’m trying to garner information about local golf clubs with a view to joining one at some point. The place where I am having lessons and using the driving range was an obvious one to start with.

In order to join, you have to be a member of another club if you’re coming from a different part of the country, or else your application has to be supported by three members. I don’t know any. All sounds a bit “secret handshake” to me. You have to have a handicap and if you don’t, then you need a lesson with the pro who will sign off your application form if they think you meet the standard. Then you have a 30 minute interview with the captain. As a visitor/non-member you are not allowed to play the course unless you are a member of another club and can produce a handicap certificate. So they wouldn’t let me play there, and therefore I have no chance of meeting anyone who could support my application. The level of frustration must be quite similar to that felt by some people contributing to the Rolex thread.

Fortunately, I see that there are other clubs that are easier to join. Not to mention a bit cheaper as well. The place I played yesterday is really nice and friendly, though it’s a good half hour drive. I’m looking for somewhere that has a decent senior section so that I can find regular people to play with when I start to improve a bit.
Steve

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

^That's how it was in the "old days" as well when the Club Captain was invariably Colonel Fortisque-Smythe. Then golf went out of fashion with the young, the old boys began to pass away and most courses realised they had to make membership a bit easier and topical.

Either the course you are trying to join never emerged from the late Colonel's era or the increase in membership caused by effect of first COVID lockdown has them reverting to the old days.

If it's the course closest to where you live then maybe continue to try to join it because it'll be good for practice time and you won't be put off by travelling time during the winter period. Otherwise join elsewhere that's seems a bit friendlier and cheaper to become a member of a course and gain a proper handicap.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Reading your post Steve, I was quickly thinking something similar to this;-

"The level of frustration must be quite similar to that felt by some people contributing to the Rolex thread."

It almost sounds like its easier to buy a Rolex, as long as you have the funds and are not fussed by which model you get.

I'll get my coat. :escape:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Original plan for today was to be playing a course I had not played before. Sunday, Monday and Monday night brought heavy rains to New England the result of Hurricane Henri, We decided to call the course prior to venturing out for the 1 1/4 hour drive. Good thing as they were closed this morning due to flood conditions. We opted to go to our home course instead.

I was feeling pretty good and was off to a great start going birdie, birdie on the first 2 holes and another birdie on the 7th hole. Everything just seemed effortless. After 8 holes I was even par with a par 5 remaining.

Then my phone rings.......

Although all is good now, we had a dog emergency at home so I had to leave! Fortunately I was only 20 minutes away, but it it sure killed the round.

Hopefully I can get that rhythm back on Thursday (fat chance). It was just one of those days where everything was falling into place including the fortunate bounces.

That's golf.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

CHZacc wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:22 pm No offence taken here. I agree with you 100% on the new WHS as i had been given a generous handicap by it due to the fact that my best 8 scores out of the last 20 where somewhat skewed due to the fact i hadnt played for a few years and was rusty ( i used to play of 14 ish). Given that and the fact i had a very good round , ie , par at index 1,2,3 getting 4 points at each (chipped in from side of green on 2 of those) and was sinking everything from 15 feet. Course is Lisburn G.C where a certain David Feherty holds the course record.
Lovely looking course, exactly the style that I prefer although I'll play on any. Sounds like you made the most of the 2 shot'ers and thus scored well.

This WHS really is nuts at the moment. I played a non-competition round last Friday getting 22 shots on a 137 rated course and birdied a 2 shot par4 hole .... getting 5 Stableford points ! The scores in our 4ball ranged from 32-38 on a course that before WHS was on average a below-par/below handicap scoring course.

On the Saturday I played a Club round, scored 37points and came 4th. The winner scored 42 points (26 on the front 9) with HI of 38.4, playing handicap of probably 37. Despite a low-ish slope rating this course is not overly easy and again before WHS an average winning competition score was probably 38-39, whereas it's now 39 upwards.

Was the intention of WHS and slope ratings to make players feel happier with their performances by increasing the quantity of under handicap scores rather than creating a World-wide "level-playing field" for golfers at whatever course they play at?
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

I’ve also noticed that the new system has definitely resulted in higher average scores…….people with high handicaps are getting ridiculous scores. The system seems to rely on people,putting a card in pretty much every round. This is clearly not happening and I think people are protecting a high index. The result (for me at least) means that there seems very little point in entering competitions. What’s the point if I’m entering cards regularly,am playing well and manage to score 37 points when you have people with indexes in the high 20s banging in scores of 40+ with several pars & birdies? They are clearly not high 20s players. There is a word for it.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by CHZacc »

Our Handicap Sec. is very good and will cut people for general play. Members are expected to return all cards and tbf almost all do. We are lucky to have 15-20 members from juvinille up to more mature players who are scratch and in 10 cases in the -ve handicaps who regulary play regional (UK) and international competitions so they are quite strict on cards being submitted even if your just playing casual. But as you say, this new system will take a while to level out as before it came in 40 points and you where in the hunt for 1st place, where as now it's not even getting placed . Also, our club has started to have divisions for players in some of the comps we run ie; handicaps upto 10 , 11-20 and 20- which seems to have better results to leveling out the players until things get settled down
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606