LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Kip »

Had a grand round today. The weather was most cooperative with a slight breeze and temps in the mid 70's. Mostly sunny and low humidity didn't hurt either.

The course we played is some what open but has several water hazards to deal with. If you throw in the bunkers that were still full of water from the heavy rains of the past few days it could have been really interesting. Fortunately I didn't have to deal with any bunkers today.

The real challenge was the greens. They were quite erratic. Some were fast and others very very slow. Can't say I have run into this much difference between greens before. It certainly challenged the putting skills. I shot an 85 with 4 shots lost on the greens due to speed differentials. Had one downhill putt, about a 20 footer, that stopped 8 feet from the hole. :shock: The normal speed of these greens probaly would have had that putt 6-10 ft past the hole.

Anyway, I was pleased that I was finally hitting my irons pretty good again. It makes the course a lot shorter when you can do that. Wsa also plaesed to avoid every hazard today.

Highlight of the day was just missing a hole in one. A 148 yard par 3 shot that rolled up nicely and lipped the hole ending up 18 inches away. I am missing closer!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Good stuff Kip.

I had a below average round today, trying out a few things, mainly alignment of club face and curing my slice, best to do that on the range !
Highlights were a 30 ft putt from off the green, with a few breaks and slopes to negotiate and a 3 Hybrid out of the rough from 210 yds, which I managed to find the green.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Even though I’ve been playing very steady and improving rounds of golf since early July (averaging around 39-40 Stableford points or mid-80 shots) for some reason I wasn’t expecting too much of my performance today in the monthly Medal competition.

Maybe that was due to the 4 times reduced WHS HI as a result of the recent performances or maybe I was just trying to eliminate any self-imposed expectations after the handicap cuts.

The practice green showed up the slowing effect of grooming/verticutting and sanding maintenance that had taken place on all the greens so this just added to a feeling that scoring wasn’t going to go that well today.

The front nine finished 1 over handicap, pretty much in line with what I was expecting and I just couldn’t force myself to hit the putts firmer to get over the effect of the greens maintenance. A decent few holes on the back nine courtesy of firmer putts gave an 18hole score of 2 under handicap, a nett 67 (gross 85).

Potentially another (small hopefully) HI cut coming.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Really enjoyed watching some of the Solheim Cup last night.

Very poor decision though to award Nelly Korda the hole after Sagstrom picked up and conceded Korda's putt after the ball stopped on the edge of the hole. Apparently she didn't allow enough time for the ball to drop....even though it wasn't even overhanging the hole in any regard and wouldn't have dropped in a month of Sundays.

Anyway hopefully no more controversy like that and more good golf over the next few days. I actually enjoy watching women's golf slightly more than the mens, far more craft and less of the booming drives. No Bryson hitting a 9 iron to a 200 yard plus par 3, as he was doing yesterday!!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 am Really enjoyed watching some of the Solheim Cup last night.

Very poor decision though to award Nelly Korda the hole after Sagstrom picked up and conceded Korda's putt after the ball stopped on the edge of the hole. Apparently she didn't allow enough time for the ball to drop....even though it wasn't even overhanging the hole in any regard and wouldn't have dropped in a month of Sundays.

Anyway hopefully no more controversy like that and more good golf over the next few days. I actually enjoy watching women's golf slightly more than the mens, far more craft and less of the booming drives. No Bryson hitting a 9 iron to a 200 yard plus par 3, as he was doing yesterday!!
Golf has plenty of rules, sometimes they' can punish you and sometimes they can reward you. Players, whether amateurs or pros, should know those rules to make the most of any situation and that situation is covered by a Rule. I've not seen a very close replay but from what I have seen on TV there is a portion of the ball overhanging (even though it would have needed a tornado for the ball to move any more) and Sagstrom picked her opponent's ball up before the allowed and ruled 10 seconds were up. So the rule was broken and this time it punished Sagstrom and Europe.

For me a fundamental non-rule is that you should never never ever touch your opponent's golf ball, clubs or other equipment whatever the situation is (unless it's their provisional ball and they have told you it's OK to pick it up because they've found their 1st ball). In matchplay or social golf verbally tell your opponent that it's ok for them to pick up their ball but don't pick it up for them.

While we're mentioning rules I continued to be surprised by the number of players that do not know basic golf rules. These are as essential for your golf as learning how to hit a decent drive or chip and putt well. There are some excellent videos from YouTube, Golf Channel and others but just make sure they relate to the latest rule iterations.

I agree with you regarding Ladies vs Mens pro golf. Their swing tempo is smoother and the distances hit are a bit closer to what us amateurs can achieve although the contact of club and ball when seen and heard up close is still very impressive as is the accuracy.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:16 am
Thegreyman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 am Really enjoyed watching some of the Solheim Cup last night.

Golf has plenty of rules, sometimes they' can punish you and sometimes they can reward you. Players, whether amateurs or pros, should know those rules to make the most of any situation and that situation is covered by a Rule. I've not seen a very close replay but from what I have seen on TV there is a portion of the ball overhanging (even though it would have needed a tornado for the ball to move any more) and Sagstrom picked her opponent's ball up before the allowed and ruled 10 seconds were up. So the rule was broken and this time it punished Sagstrom and Europe.

For me a fundamental non-rule is that you should never never ever touch your opponent's golf ball, clubs or other equipment whatever the situation is (unless it's their provisional ball and they have told you it's OK to pick it up because they've found their 1st ball). In matchplay or social golf verbally tell your opponent that it's ok for them to pick up their ball but don't pick it up for them.
Mick, I don't fundamentally disagree with anything you have said. In the spirit of sporting fairness though, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

This photo shows how much of the ball was overhanging the hole

Capture.JPG
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Indeed ^^^^
Rules are Rules but they need to be applied in the spirit of the game. In the case above they clearly weren’t and it was a ridiculous decision.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^
Maybe they need VAR ?

According to reports it was the referee for that game that called the error / rule break so he/she had no leeway and there is no spirit of the game or sportiness in the rule to apply as it then would become totally subjective and open to even more discussion, arguments and emotion. As village has written "Rules are rules".

I believe the rule states "overhang" not a "percentage" or "majority" of the ball overhanging or proximity to the hole and 10 seconds wait is allowed once the player reaches the hole. Unfortunately it was picked up after 7 seconds so wrong even if Sagstrom meant well. I would bet that she and others involved yesterday will never do so again. Some lessons in life are not learnt easily.

There are rules in golf and every sport where the application of them in certain situations could be called unsporting, stupid, ridiculous and every other similar word. They can only be applied as is stated at the time it happens.

A month or so ago "in a sporting manner" on the 16th hole I gave our Pairs opponent the benefit of them breaking a rule that everybody should know (dropping from a penalty area) and let them play their incorrectly dropped ball, mentioning it only after the completion of the hole, which by the way they won by the score of the person that dropped the ball incorrectly. We lost the game on the 4th extra hole so I will never do the same again "in the spirit of the game".

Some lessons in golf are not learnt easily.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

After two 2’s in the first 6 holes including a lip out to 12 inches to win the nearest the pin I actually was foolish enough to think I might score well today
Normal service was soon resumed and I returned home planning the for sale ad for my clubs and power caddy

Why do i put myself through it :(
Cheers now, Paul
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Very much Enjoyed the Solheim Cup yesterday.
Watching matchplay, made these pros look human on the golf course, Duffed shots out of bunkers and the rough, terrible putts, the ability to miss the green from 125 yards etc.
I was coming on to bemoan the standard, but I checked myself and realised, I only normally watch tournaments on Tv. Which are highlights of the best shots that have just occured. So in truth it was nice to see the real time shots for once, and no doubt, there will be more coming, when the two men's teams collide.

Can't wait for the Ryder Cup !

With regards my own game, I'm hitting the driver and irons as well as I ever had, but I must tidy up my short game and course management, as from 30 yds in I'm taking too many shots.
Putting is ok, so it's the chipping where I'm struggling.
I did try a chipper, but I try not to use it, as it's as unreliable as my wedges and irons. And hasn't got the feel.
I'm going to try laying up to 60 or 100 yrds next time out, as at that distance I'm pretty confident. With my Lob and pitching wedges.

P.s.
My friend just played The London Club.
He was blown away by it, and highly recommends it, if you get the chance.
Unfortunately it was on a work day, so I didn't get the chance to go this time.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Yes the Solheim Cup was a gripping watch, the US really came back strongly and you started to wonder if it might slip away from Europe.

Matilda Castren had a gutsy win over Salas that got Europe finally over the line. If the Ryder Cup is anything like this in two weeks team then we are in for another treat.
Patrick

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Did you ever have "just one of those days"?

Perfect weather... a new course for me but played with one who was familiar with it so no worries. Course was in exceptional condition.

Start off with an excellent drive. Hit my approach shot perfectly to the center of green. Then things went south..... the ball took a weird hop and went off the back left side into the rough. No worries... a little chip and a putt and we will be good.

This is when I discovered that the best part of my game....the short game... took the day off. Horrible chip and then a 3 putt for an opening double.

I hit 12 of 14 fairways and my long woods and iron game were pretty good. I never found the short game at all. I couldn't hit a wedge of any caliber to save my life! My putting distance control was good, but couldn't read a green... not once. No breaks at all unless it was a bad one.

Good friends.. good weather... excellent course, but the game...just one of those days.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Its great to hear everybody's exploits on, and off, the Golf Course, but you know what?

This thread is missing something. Another dimension, perhaps? We all like photos, especially lovely green countryside type photos.

How about a photo or two of your Golf Courses?

A picture paints a thousand words, don't you know.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Ah, Guy, even as the noob on this thread I know that we’re all too focused on the golf to start whipping phones out. In fact, at some courses if you are even seen in the vicinity of a mobile phone you are likely to be cast into outer darkness.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

A nice,hot,sunny day & a course I hadn’t played before.

It appears (touch wood) that my lessons continue to translate through to my on course play. Iron play today was fairly consistent as was the chipping,pitching and putting. My driver definitely wasn’t working today so I put it away and relied on my irons. Won my match 6&5.
Hopefully this carries on and I can start to get my handicap back to where I think it should be (currently 17 and should be 13/14).
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....