The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Mikkei4 »

Played a Pairs Matchplay round yesterday and (in total contradiction to my previous comments on here about my golf) played well at 11 gross over par (80 on a par69 course) hitting 9 pars. Bemused how ultimately we managed to lose the game :o :shock:
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:13 pm
magicman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am Messed up the 18th hole yesterday, par 3, only needed a 6 to beat my course record, got a 7.

Tried a new alignment method yesterday, learnt from YouTube. Worked great, never hit it straighter.

Regards Steve
Straighter and 10 yards longer by learning from 2 x YouTube videos - you must tell us which videos.
Here's a couple, I try to avoid anything over 10 mins.
First us the alignment tip, I used to pick a mark on the ground and stand square to it and the ball, used this tip and my aim improved massively.

The second is the magic Elbow, that got my Yardages up.

Regards Steve

https://youtu.be/vZCZFlF2AXw

https://youtu.be/iL9WmQ7KsmE
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 pm
First us the alignment tip, I used to pick a mark on the ground and stand square to it and the ball, used this tip and my aim improved massively.

The second is the magic Elbow, that got my Yardages up.

Regards Steve

https://youtu.be/vZCZFlF2AXw

https://youtu.be/iL9WmQ7KsmE
Weird re. the alignment tip - Without seeing that youtube video I starting doing that alignment procedure yesterday to spot a point closely ahead of the ball that it should travel over (swing permitting) - it worked really well so it's worth trying this if you are consistently hitting off line.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

sproughton wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 pm The course I go to has quite tight, tree lined fairways so it fully punishes wayward drives.
I've played several courses in Herts and in a few weeks due to play at Essendon which has 2 decent courses if you've not played there.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

^^^Aldenham is where I've been playing. They have 27 holes and I've stuck to the 9 hole to date.

My 'form' of a couple of weeks ago has completely deserted me so I'm off for a lesson tomorrow to figure out what's going on. We have a big company golf day at Goodwood in a couple of weeks and if I can avoid humiliation I'll be happy!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Went out this morning planning on playing 27 holes. :D

The first 18 was okay. A bit erratic wit the irons, but managed to recover consistently with the short game. Only hit 1 par 3 in regulation. :censored:
as I seemed to develop a case of the pulls on the others. Escaped with an 84 which is livable, especially with the inconsistency.

Had lunch and was about to tee off for my league match and was rained and hailed out for the second week in a row. :(

I can't complain as I played 36 over the weekend and will be playing 18 again on Thursday. Slowly getting that lost rhythm back. Now If I could only fix my iron issues.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

What is it about a driver that instantly turns my game into absolute garbage?

Teeing off with it on front nine and scored poorly (6 over handicap), left it in the bag on the back nine and scored 10 points better than front nine (4 under handicap).

Club, different swing, wrong tee height, in my head ????
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The driver is a difficult club to hit consistently well. If you are in trouble frequently off the tee it costs you strokes. Try using a 3 or 5 wood off the tee instead.

I play frequently with a guy who doesn't even have one in the bag. The most he uses on a par 5 is a 4 iron. He simply chooses course management over his skill set. He does carry a 3 wood but mostly uses a 5 wood or hybrid off the tee.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Kip wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:30 pm Try using a 3 or 5 wood off the tee instead.
Yep, already been doing that for past year or so with an adjustable 3wood that's set to 13degrees so plays like a 2 wood to give me decent length off the tee. That's what I reverted to on the back nine.

But I noticed during the last game often I end up with around 200-215yds to green-centre which is 20-25 yards beyond longest hybrid distance so end up relying on good short game. As good as that is it still costs 2-3 shots per round. Hence my search for that additional 20-30yards off the tee on the longer holes.

I think a lesson with my current driver and possibly a fitting with a recently released driver.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:52 pm Club, different swing, wrong tee height, in my head ????
You probably aren't too far off here. We tend to get it in our head that we have the 'big stick' in our hands and over power the swing. Many things can be going wrong. An old golf coach made this suggestion for consistency that has stuck with me through the years. Put a box around the ball in your mind. Once you step into the box your plan should be set and you should turn off your brain. No more planning. If you are still thinking about the shot at address then you are dooming the shot. It helps.
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:52 pm But I noticed during the last game often I end up with around 200-215yds to green-centre which is 20-25 yards beyond longest hybrid distance so end up relying on good short game. As good as that is it still costs 2-3 shots per round. Hence my search for that additional 20-30yards off the tee on the longer holes.
What distance are you averaging off of the tee with the wood?
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

This was from October of last year but still relevant. We tend to compare our game to the pros even if a little subconsciously but forget that what we see on TV are only the very best and very worst shots. This article has some really good take aways that we should all remember.

From 5 yards out only 3 in 4 make it within 3 feet.
At 150 yards only 3 in 4 hit the green. Still very good but not the impression you get when watching.
At 150 yards only 2% hit it within 3 feet. They only hit it within 24 feet 50% of the time.

I would like to see this from the tee to fairway too.

PGA Stats
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^
You are probably correct about thoughts of needing to “smash the big stick” which ends up over-doing and speeding up the swing with a driver.

I’m not a huge hitter so average length off the tee with the adjusted 3 wood is around 200yards as it’s normally straight down the fairway centre. It’ll be about 20yards behind playing partner and peer driver shots.

Previously 200yards was the carry distance of my driver shots, rolling or bouncing additional yards to bring more greens into the range of various clubs.

Both hybrids still have up to 2 degrees adjustment available that could give the required additional distance but equally could make them less easy to hit off the fairway and also affect the gapping across the set of clubs.

So it looks like I need a ball fitting session, a club set gapping session, a lesson or 2 to improve striking a driver before a fitting session for new matching 3wood and driver. :D :lol:
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

rkovars wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:50 pm This was from October of last year but still relevant. We tend to compare our game to the pros even if a little subconsciously but forget that what we see on TV are only the very best and very worst shots. This article has some really good take aways that we should all remember.

From 5 yards out only 3 in 4 make it within 3 feet.
At 150 yards only 3 in 4 hit the green. Still very good but not the impression you get when watching.
At 150 yards only 2% hit it within 3 feet. They only hit it within 24 feet 50% of the time.

I would like to see this from the tee to fairway too.

PGA Stats
I never beat myself up over a duffed or short chip, topped driver or shanked iron as I've seen plenty of pros do exactly those same shots in various competitions, so I can play just like a professional golfer :)
The poor shot that does annoys me is when my putt doesn't get up to or beyond the hole as it needs to be "up there" to have a chance of going in.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:59 pm

I never beat myself up over a duffed or short chip, topped driver or shanked iron as I've seen plenty of pros do exactly those same shots in various competitions, so I can play just like a professional golfer :)
The poor shot that does annoys me is when my putt doesn't get up to or beyond the hole as it needs to be "up there" to have a chance of going in.
Not to mention putts with break. Amateurs miss on the low side more than 70% of the time. We tend to not read enough break!
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:51 pm So it looks like I need a ball fitting session, a club set gapping session, a lesson or 2 to improve striking a driver before a fitting session for new matching 3wood and driver. :D :lol:
A lesson with a competent pro and some time spent on the practice range would be money well spent!
Jack London