LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Kip »

I wish I could drive a ball over 250 yards on a regular basis. My average drive is about 220 yards. I play on courses, and use tees, that are usually about 6100 to 6500 yards. I have never hit a 300 yard drive in my life! Twice I have hit drives over 290, but those were anomalies.

I am content to take what I have, be as consistent as possible and live with my short game. That said, if I can get my iron game improved, I might save 2-5 strokes per round. The game always gives you something and takes something away. That's golf.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:35 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm
Gents, all I can say is that you're playing different golf to me.....driving 300yards onto a green, 2 under for 5 of 9 holes, hitting 13 fairways and just 26 putts, 2 over after 9 holes :shock:
I think I need to start playing tiddlywinks instead of the golf I'm playing.
Mick, as Michael Jackson sang "you are not alone, I am here with you....."

From a fellow hacker :lol:
Agreed :thumbup:
I'll be hacking around 1 of the South East's finest today - I daren't tell you where as they might be reading this and then wouldn't let me play.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Kip wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 am
Then off to my league match...

The sad part was that the league was cancelled after 6 holes due to thunderstorms. I was only 1 over at that point and up 3-1.
Kip, how does the scoring in your league work? I've not previously seen 3-1 used as a score in golf, so presumably based on number of holes won by each player?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Kip »

We play a Match Play format. Handicaps are used and adjusted for 9 holes.

For example: If I am a 10 handicap and play an 8 handicap player you take the difference and divide by 2. This means I would get 1 stroke on the hardest hole of the 9.

If you win a hole you get a point. if you tie (net) no points. Most points in 9 wins the match. You get 2 points for winning the match or 1 for a draw.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Great topic!

How are you playing?
I'm not at the moment - last round was before the pandemic but hoping to get out soon and a golf trip with a long-standing society scheduled for September (Ryder Cup weekend!). Work and lockdown have limited opportunities to play.

What's your handicap index?
Now it's around 18 but in my youth (a long time ago) I was single figures.

Played any interesting courses lately?
Not lately! I'm a member at Wychwood Park in Cheshire which is a great course and very challenging. Last really interesting course (well iconic rather than interesting) that I played was Royal Lytham & St Annes - spectacular.

What brand/type clubs/ball do you use?
Just recently bought a new set - Taylormade SIM 2 irons, driver, 3 wood and hybrids and yet to weald them in anger. I use Cleveland wedges.
I'm 64 now and my club head speed is too slow for Pro V1s and the like - my go to ball is Srixon Soft Feel.

How much do you play?
Outside the obvious last couple of years I try to play once every 2-3 weeks, again work and family limit this. I will retire one day though!!

Strictly social or a league/tournament player?
Strictly social with golf buddies and particularly my two sons, both of whom are considerably better than me! 300+ yard drives are commonplace, especially with my eldest son.

Any hole in one's or Eagles?
Never a hole in one - missed a few by less than six inches!

Lowest score?
I have never broken par, but have come within a couple of shots. I can only dream of that now! I now mainly play Stableford so that one or two disaster holes doesn't ruin the round. Low to mid 30s points with a shot a hole is the norm now, occasional 40+ bandit territory.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

CW257 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:30 pm Great idea for a thread.

I currently play off 15 and am a member of a course in Bromley, South East London. I played to a decent standard as a junior and used to play in competitions for my old club (West Malling, in Kent) but when I went off to university I pretty much gave up the game due to lack of money and a mode of transport.

I got back into golf about six years ago after meeting a girl, now my wife, whose family has a time share on the Gleneagles resort in Scotland. We were going up there for a week every year and I started to get the itch to play their glorious courses, so one year I finally bought myself a cheap set of clubs and booked a round. Suffice to say, after more than a decade out of the game, I was appalling, but I’d caught the golf bug again and ever since then I’ve been having regular lessons, joined a club and got my handicap back.

I recently treated myself to my first ever set of custom fit irons (Cobra King Forged) which I’m excited to collect at the weekend before they make their debut in a Texas Scramble event on Monday. Then I’ve got our annual trip to Gleneagles coming up in August, where they’ll get a proper outing.

In terms of the best courses I’ve ever played, aside from Gleneagles it would be two other Scottish courses - Cruden Bay and Murcar, both in Aberdeenshire. Littlestone, down on the Kent coast is a fantastic track too.

Oh, and I’ve had one hole-in-one, back when I was about 16 years old!
I was a member at West Malling for many years before moving north - happy memories.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

A two day tournament starts today. What do I wake up to? Pouring rain. Oh well, perhaps the the greens will be a bit more receptive. [-o<
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Messed up the 18th hole yesterday, par 3, only needed a 6 to beat my course record, got a 7.

Tried a new alignment method yesterday, learnt from YouTube. Worked great, never hit it straighter.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Continuing my meditative approach to learning golf by only recording pars or better on the scorecard :thumbup: Managed three pars today and at least three of the other holes I lost a ball off the tee :thumbdown:

I need to figure out a way of making my 'miss' less damaging as they'll wreak havoc if I ever try to play and score properly. The course I go to has quite tight, tree lined fairways so it fully punishes wayward drives.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

magicman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am Messed up the 18th hole yesterday, par 3, only needed a 6 to beat my course record, got a 7.

Tried a new alignment method yesterday, learnt from YouTube. Worked great, never hit it straighter.

Regards Steve
Any links to alignment tips would be greatly appreciated
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am Messed up the 18th hole yesterday, par 3, only needed a 6 to beat my course record, got a 7.

Regards Steve
Straighter and 10 yards longer by learning from 2 x YouTube videos - you must tell us which videos.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

sproughton wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 pm Continuing my meditative approach to learning golf by only recording pars or better on the scorecard :thumbup: Managed three pars today and at least three of the other holes I lost a ball off the tee :thumbdown:

I need to figure out a way of making my 'miss' less damaging as they'll wreak havoc if I ever try to play and score properly. The course I go to has quite tight, tree lined fairways so it fully punishes wayward drives.
I wouldn't need a pencil if recording only pars or better :lol:

As an alternative maybe try a round playing each hole plus your handicap ? So if your handicap is 18 play each hole 1 stroke over what the card says, i.e consider a par 4 as a par 5. It reduces the self created pressure when we push ourselves to score each hole to the card par. As confidence and skill grows the pressure lessens and more actual pars should happen but even if you play to your handicap it's 36 points, a decent score.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

The first day of the 2 day club tournament has ended. The weather was great...the game not so much today.

Things started well as I hit par on the first 3 holes. My partner went par, bogey par. We were off to great start. Then the wheels fell off and everything suddenly became a struggle. Scrambling on most every hole the rest of the way. Where did my timing go? :ka: What happened to my partner? :ka: Managed a few more pars, but missed a 4ft and 3 ft. putt for birdies :( that would have helped quite a bit. My partners game was much the same.

Just one of those days.

This tournament is a gross/net best ball per hole. We ended up at net 72 in 10th place 8 strokes off the lead. We plan on doing much better tomorrow...........I hope.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:37 pm
As an alternative maybe try a round playing each hole plus your handicap ?
This sounds like a sensible next step. Don't have a handicap yet as not a member of a club and have tended to stick to 9 hole rounds so far. No harm in having an estimate at a handicap and working from there though.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

The second day of the 2 day club tournament has concluded. Although our play was better than yesterday, so was most everyone else's.

We finished mired in 10th place although we did play at 5 under par today. Two bright spots was a 50 foot double breaking uphill putt to for a birdie after a crappy approach shot. The other was a difficult downhill breaker for a par save. My partner missed an eagle by about 1/1/2 ball turns after a tremendous 2nd shot on a par 5 from a fairway bunker.

No money won but it was great fun this weekend. No lost balls but did need to retire 2.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"