The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^I had a game yesterday late afternoon and edged it on the last hole against a couple of friends. The short game was also in decent order including a pitch stone dead for a birdie (not something I do very often) but I don't think quite up to your Leftie standards Steve.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

My last round was on Thursday. Not at my home course, but one we play a couple times per season.

It was a terrific weather day and overall a decent round. I was just frustratingly inconsistent. I was excellent on the Par 3's and 5's but struggled, for some reason, with my iron shots on the par 4's. Short game was the savior. My home course is having water issues so is a bit raggedy at this [point. It was nice to be playing on greens that were rolling true.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I just upgraded my golfshot app, to pro version.
Only $30 or £22 for the year.
I used a Garmin approach watch before, but the golfshot app is far superior.
Loads of useful features, best of which for me, is the Stableford score calculator.

It really is all you need to navigate the course and keep score.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

I have a Samsung phone so Golfshot is not an option. I have used 18 Birdies and found that to be very good. However, the past few years I have just gone with a Garmin golf watch and a range finder. I find between the 2, I get more than enough information.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Just got home from a game.
Was 8 points down after 6 holes, but turned it round to win 4 in a row.
Didn't cost me a penny, free round and losers bought the beers.
So a good day out in the sun.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Well done Steve.

Do you play strictly Stableford, modified or adjusted (with handicap) Stableford?

We use match play in my league.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Thanks Kip

I believe we play, adjusted. We just call it Stableford, I hadn't heard of the other variants.

Normally, I score well early in the round, and fade. But the opposite happened today.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Kip wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:13 pm Well done Steve.

Do you play strictly Stableford, modified or adjusted (with handicap) Stableford?

We use match play in my league.
Kip,

I believe that CSA is not widely used (or at all) at golf clubs within UK, I've certainly not known it at any of the clubs I've been at.
It's straight Stableford here and with the recent introduction of WHS I've been seeing and hearing some ridiculously high points scores, well into the upper 40s and too many over 50 for this current situation to be realistic ! So maybe we should be using CSA for a while. :D
The problem is that WHS is confusing lots of players as it is so CSA would only increase the moans and groans.

Hopefully handicaps will settle down during this year if players put cards in for every round they play and thus return handicaps and scores to reality.

Sounds like Steve's enjoying his golf at the moment - he'll be wearing out his new clubs soon with the number of times he's playing. :D Well done.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Bought some nice shirts on the sale rack at American Golf today.
Sold a few old clubs to my mates Dad, and bought some lottery tickets with the money, my local course is currently closed, if I win the big prize, I'm buying the club.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Tried picking up golf last year (mostly driving range) but got out for a very rare game on an actual course today with my father in law. Only managed 12 holes as the course was fully backed up but I was Even after 5 holes and I'm taking that as a massive victory!

Ended up +8 after 12 so not terrible. Got to work on my short game.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

sproughton wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 pm Tried picking up golf last year (mostly driving range) but got out for a very rare game on an actual course today with my father in law. Only managed 12 holes as the course was fully backed up but I was Even after 5 holes and I'm taking that as a massive victory!

Ended up +8 after 12 so not terrible. Got to work on my short game.
That's pretty good for not playing much. Start playing more and thinking and your game will go to crap. :lol:

I just got back in after 27 holes. Although rain was predicated, the weather was perfect. It was a rare consistent day. I shot 41 and 39 and then won my match play 4-2 while shooting a 40. I even climbed a couple spots in the standings as a result.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Tough scoring round yesterday. Not my home course, but not one I am a stranger to. Greens were extremely hard and difficult to hold with approach shots. The greenside rough was thick, tall and wet. I Had a hard time adjusting and lost several strokes due to poor chipping greenside. :(
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I played last night. My friends kept the card so I don't know exactly what I scored, around 82 I think on a relatively modest par 70 course. I was quite happy with how I played but my main feat was get a par on all of the par 3's (4 of them) that I'm sure I've never done before. I didn't actually hit any of the 4 greens but got up and down every time. The short game was, on occasion, pretty good although always room for improvement.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Good morning, had a good 9 holes yesterday, unfortunately the other 9 were shocking.
Screenshot_20210606-110007.png

P.s. if anyone in Essex/London is in need of a full set of clubs, I've now got a full spare set including bag, PM me if interested.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^PM sent. I used to play casually when I lived in Scotland, but haven't played for many years. Thinking of getting some lessons and finding a local club, as some of my current colleagues play and it would be a great way to maintain contact with them.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)