LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

The Golf Topic

Post by Kip »

I know we have many golfers here so it seemed like a good idea to have a place to talk about your game or perhaps the latest tournament.

How are you playing?

What's your handicap index?

Played any interesting courses lately?

What brand/type clubs/ball do you use?

How much do you play?

Strictly social or a league/tournament player?

Any hole in one's or Eagles?

Lowest score?

You get the idea.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
Has
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by magicman »

Hi Kip

As I'm a bit obsessed with the game at the moment, I'll go first.

I'm currently playing the best golf I've ever played. Still extremely average, but enjoying it massively.
This season, following the opening up of the courses in the UK, I joined a local club.
It's very cheap and only a par 64.
But I can play anytime and the Toptracer range is fantastic.

So as I decided to up my game this year, I bought the Callaway edge set of clubs from Costco's.
They've improved my Yardages by 10yds on the irons and plus 30 on the driver.
I decided to look into the balls I use too, I was a cheapo, found ball/lake ball user, but as those ran out I tried the Kirkland balls from Costco. I hadn't lost them all, when I asked a pro for some advice.
He said these balls were ok, but the QC wasn't very good, and the inconsistency would add shots to my rounds.
As I was gaining on my playing partners and scores were close, if my ball choice saved me one shot a round, I'd be happy.
So he recommended Tietlist, as they are the only company who make and QC their own balls.
Not the ProV's as they would not help my slice, with there superior spin.
So I tried Trufeel, I highly recommend them for distance and straight flight and forgiveness.
I've won 3 in a row since.
It's difficult to get my true handicap , with the new system and my home course, not having a slope rating, but I play off 25 currently.
I'm hoping to get that down, this year, with practice and my new extra desire for the game.

I try to play twice a week, with 2 of my oldest friends, and it's great to get out for 3-4hrs, catch up and it's very competitive at the moment.
We're playing Stableford and I'm averaging around 35 points.

Never been close to a hole in one, only really started hitting greens in regulation this year.

I've always been a good putter, my average is under 2.
But it let me down this week after fitting, one of those fat grips.

We've been playing for around 6 years now.
I've visited Dublin, Prague, Southern Spain and Portugal. Some beautiful courses, but previously I didn't have the appreciation for them, just hacked around them. It was more about the lads holiday.
We did have a trip to Benidorm (Spain) booked, but we had to cancel.
So we're doing a few, One nighters in England.
Where it will all be about the golf.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Not a bad day today. Great weather and got in 27 holes. I managed to win my match as well. Shot 83 and then a 41 in match play. Only 1 double and 2 birdies on the day.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Michigan has a shorter golf season; sometimes the snow isn’t even totally gone here until April. I used to golf maybe 25-30 times per year, until I moved to Florida in 2016. Great weather year round, I’d get to golf so much!

I golfed 2 times in the last five years in Florida. I spent too much time either at the gulf coast beaches or Disney :lol:

I just moved back to Michigan, and have a tee time in a couple weeks for my first golf round since 2018 (I have to plan it ahead to coordinate someone watching my 2 kids under 2yrs old...)

My wife likes to golf with me. At my best my handicap was about 15. I’ve been golfing for nearly 20 years, played on the high school varsity team. Though I’ve never been that great. I still enjoy it thoroughly.

I use a set of callaway big Bertha irons about 20 years old, and a newer adjustable weighted Callaway driver. I’ve never managed to shoot in the 70s for 18, my best being an 81 about 6 years ago.

Below is a picture of a memory of a good day 9 years ago. This was my tee shot on a 260 yard par 4. I tapped it in for eagle :D

Then later that day I met the woman that would become my wife :thumbup:

583441EB-9006-423E-A3C6-6689E966727D.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I'm in.. :D

How are you playing?
Bloody rubbish most of the time and getting worse all the time it feels like. Did have 9 holes last night and hit it ok for a change. 4 over

What's your handicap index? Sadly now upto 14.5. Lowest I ever get to was 8.3

Just my club and a couple of local ones. Prior to you know what the last biggie was the two main courses at woburn. We were gutted as both courses were in truly terrible condition! Greens were ok but fairways were just missing :(

Taylormade M1 driver, RBZ 5wood, Calloway rescue and Taylormade M4 irons. The balls vary on how I am playing!

How much do you play?
2x9 midweek if I can and full round at the weekend

Half and half with mates as guests or club comps

For over 30 years I have played with my 3 best mates all between 8 and 14 handicaps and not one of us has yet seen the little ball drop.
Eagles ...plenty but not for ages. When I was younger, slimmer and more flexible I could reach a lot of par 5s in 2. Those days seem long ago now sadly

Lowest score?
69 gross which was level par. Very proud of that fact

next game..Saturday morning. please golfing gods, be kind this week!
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

First, Congratulations to Phil Mickelson on his PGA Championship Major win this past weekend!

Really enjoy golf however I absolutely love fly fishing so minimizes how much golf I play as the seasons overlap

When I was a member the best I ever got to was a 13 handicap. I play to a 24 now (would be my estimate). I am HORRIBLE off the tee but have a strong short game and putter.

Blessed with incredibly scenic mountain golf courses proximate with Priddis Greens G&CC (LPGA major host course), Kananaskis Mount Lorette course and Greywolf Golf Course being my faves

Most of my golf rounds are work related (fundraising tournaments) and play a couple of rounds with buddies

I'm a Callaway loyalist with my X16 irons being a few years old. Driver is a Callaway FT5. I like and use the Kirkland Signature Golf Balls (2 piece)

My favourite club? 60 Degree Lob Wedge

I am an above average putter and my Ping Anser 2 will the only putter I ever use!!!

Hole in one playing with my manager !: 153 yards, wind behind me......with a pitching wedge

Lowest score? 79. figured out how well I was playing, got in my head and doubled the last three holes in or would have been even better
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Hello there

I've got 2 rounds booked.
One on Friday at Bentley Club, Brentwood, Essex, and one on Monday at my home club.
The Friday game is a freebie, because I've won 3 in a row.
I've bought a chipper, for around the greens. So hopefully that will tidy up my short game.
I did try with standard clubs, but kept getting it wrong, so one of these quite controversial clubs is now in my bag.
Oh and I must thank my wife for giving me up for 2 days.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I used to play a fair bit when a teenager, never had an official handicap, but it must have been about 12-18. Since going to university I have only played about 3-4 times per year since. I'm probably currently roughly a 24 handicap (hard to say as I play so seldom).

The last couple of years I have gone a few golf trips with friends so recently starting to play slightly more often. We've been to Slaley Hall and the Belfry (didn't play the Brabazon, the other course was quite disappointing), Tenerife a couple of years ago was fun. Next year we are off to Vegas for a friends 50th, playing a few games including Las Vegas National GC which I think has hosted PGA tour events. I've also played Gleneagles, the Dukes in St Andrews, Meldrum House, Archerfield and a few other decent course in Scotland over the years.

My driver is a Wilson (I think, it's in the car boot atm), I use a Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 5 wood, Taylor Made M6 irons that I recently bought, as well as an Odyssey O Works Versa Fang Superstroke putter (I think that's what it's called, what a mouthful).

Balls - I use whatever I find when searching in the rough for my own wayward shots, aim to finish at least even for balls on a round!

I just really play socially with 3 other friends.

I have never had a hole in one, probably 12 inches is the closest I've got. I've had only 2 eagles (a fluke **** approach shot that I thinned but it went in the hole and a few weeks ago, drove a 240 yard short par 4 and holed the putt).

My best score on my homes course as a teenager I think is 74 (it was a par 68 or so iirc), I have had a couple of other rounds around high 70's on tougher courses including the course local to me now in Edinburgh on a day when I beat a friend scratch who was a 6 handicapper, I didn't play that well tee to green but had my best ever putting round holing about 12 single putts (that has never happened again!).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

The **** was for the word "mis hit", obviously when strung together our forum software thinks it is something else :shock:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

Great idea for a thread.

I currently play off 15 and am a member of a course in Bromley, South East London. I played to a decent standard as a junior and used to play in competitions for my old club (West Malling, in Kent) but when I went off to university I pretty much gave up the game due to lack of money and a mode of transport.

I got back into golf about six years ago after meeting a girl, now my wife, whose family has a time share on the Gleneagles resort in Scotland. We were going up there for a week every year and I started to get the itch to play their glorious courses, so one year I finally bought myself a cheap set of clubs and booked a round. Suffice to say, after more than a decade out of the game, I was appalling, but I’d caught the golf bug again and ever since then I’ve been having regular lessons, joined a club and got my handicap back.

I recently treated myself to my first ever set of custom fit irons (Cobra King Forged) which I’m excited to collect at the weekend before they make their debut in a Texas Scramble event on Monday. Then I’ve got our annual trip to Gleneagles coming up in August, where they’ll get a proper outing.

In terms of the best courses I’ve ever played, aside from Gleneagles it would be two other Scottish courses - Cruden Bay and Murcar, both in Aberdeenshire. Littlestone, down on the Kent coast is a fantastic track too.

Oh, and I’ve had one hole-in-one, back when I was about 16 years old!
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

I have been playing for about 40 years. I started when I was 11.

How are you playing?
Not as well as I am capable. I haven't had time for much practice lately.

What's your handicap index?

Currently playing to a 9.2. I hovered around 0-1 when I was in high school and after. I stopped playing competitively and haven't been able to dedicate the time to get it back down.

Not really. Have been hitting the local spots only.

I play TaylorMade Tour blades. Nike driver, TaylorMade 3 wood. TaylorMade TP5 balls.

How much do you play?
Right now 1 per week.

Now almost exclusively social.

Never had a hole in 1 but I have had several eagles and a couple of double eagles.

Lowest score?
70. 2 under par in a tournament. FYI I came in second.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

rkovars wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:07 pm
Never had a hole in 1 but I have had several eagles and a couple of double eagles.
That's impressive....holing your 2nd shot on a par 5. We call a double eagle an albatross on this side of the pond :)
Patrick

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

OMG who decided to start this? Kip, you should know better!

We could go on for years and all the non-golfers will start complaining, getting royally fed up with all our boring golf stories, our constant re-telling of near misses, of that 1 good shot in 100 that will get us back playing again in 2, 3 or 7 days.

I know Steve’s area a bit having lived in East London and also from when I lived in Hertfordshire and queued up a few times at 0500 on a Summer Saturday morning to play a round with my mates at Hainault Golf Club – I must have been totally mad as I had better courses closer to me but then you have to be a bit mad anyway to play golf. I can also vaguely remember visiting a golf shop in Whalebone Lane.

If Hainault is in the lower level of courses played then I’ve also been lucky to play at numerous superb courses in UK, France, Spain, Portugal and Las Vegas. Fortunately my trips to Woburn have been better experiences than stefs (Paul) so I look to play there a few times each year. Like a couple of others on here I’ve been lucky to stay and play at Gleneagles (King’s Course), sadly just once but I loved it.

I live in Berkshire now, about a 15-20mins drive from the CW Showroom in Maidenhead. A couple of years ago I noticed that there were a few golfers on the Forum and emailed CW suggesting an open morning at the Showroom for 12-20 forum members followed by lunch and 18holes of golf at 1 of the local courses that I was willing to arrange. Unfortunately it never got beyond a couple of emails but maybe something to re-consider sometime when we’re back to a fully open life?

I’ll try not to bore you with my own golf (in)expertise – just 3 eagles in umpteen years, a nett 60 round playing 9 under handicap, a few club trophies. Equipment is fitted Mizuno irons and hybrids, Srixon balls, soft insert putter. I’m considering looking at same brand replacement 3wood and driver this season.

If any Southern based (Kent, Essex, Hertforshire, Berkshire, London etc) Forum member golfers want to discuss maybe meeting up for 1 or 2 x 4balls sometime this summer I’d be open to suggestions and willing to travel.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:19 pm
rkovars wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:07 pm
That's impressive....holing your 2nd shot on a par 5. We call a double eagle an albatross on this side of the pond :)
:thumbup: I have heard that before!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Won my 4th game in a row today.
The chipper worked well, but the Lob wedge was performing perfectly, some Phil Mickelson type play around the greens.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39