LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Kip »

mrpatate212 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:42 pm
My plan is to find some time this year to commit again and try to play 1 course per week, and add a driving range training session also every week. The goal is to try to get a 10-12 hcp in about 2 years, at least just enough to be starting at the white tee at my home course.

I also think I'll get an appointment with a Clubmaker at the French Basque Country, and do a fiting of the whole bag. I think I then will start to break the bank with the irons as I've always wanted a nice and beautiful muscleback set, and the latest Miura offering is just gorgeous (and maybe a 3 wedges set, and/or a nice putter...). Let's see what happens and if it will make the 10 hcp goal a bit more difficult...
When I finally took up golf, about 20 years ago, I set a goal of getting good enough to play with anybody without totally embarrassing myself. That is all I really wanted. I soon discovered that embarrassment looms over every shot! :lol:

After a few lessons I started playing with a friend of mine who set me on the path of learning the rules and club selection etc. I then decided that a 10 handicap was a reasonable goal. My first full year I was playing to about a 25 so had a long way to go. I attended a couple of golf schools, but more importantly started hitting the range twice a week and playing 18 holes 3 times a week.. It took me 4 years but I did reach my goal of 10 and actually got as low as 9.1 and stayed in that range for several years. As my practice and playing diminished and as I aged a bit, my scores and handicap started inching upwards, but I found I was enjoying the game more. I currently play to a 12/13 but only play 2 times per week and the range is probably 1 per month average.

My point is that if you have the time and the desire to put the work in, get fitted clubs and play in a league or some sort of competitive environment you can achieve your goal. If you are blessed with some natural ability and good flexibility (I have neither) you might even surpass your goal.

I cannot stress enough how important the short game is along with course management. If you make a bad shot, take your medicine and figure out what to do to minimize the damage. Master the short game. It will save your butt. I carry 4 wedges. Most of my pre round practice is spent with wedges and putting. Learn the putting drills. Practice the drills. Practice distance control. Learn to read the greens.

The saying about driving for show and putting for dough is not a misnomer.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Kip wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:12 pm
When I finally took up golf, about 20 years ago, I set a goal of getting good enough to play with anybody without totally embarrassing myself. That is all I really wanted. I soon discovered that embarrassment looms over every shot! :lol:

The saying about driving for show and putting for dough is not a misnomer.
An interesting post, Kip. I just highlighted a couple of things there.

On your first point, that sums me up pretty well at the moment. I would like to be able to play a good standard of social golf and acquire some consistency. I did play many years ago, but very badly and with rotten clubs. Acquiring some decent clubs, in particular a good set of irons, combined with using the driving range regularly and taking lessons, is certainly improving my play.

The point about going out with someone who is pretty good is also a valid one. I’m playing with a friend tomorrow though not on a full course. His club has a number of practice holes which members can just turn up and use with a guest. I think Keith played off single figures at one time, but like as all he is getting a little older and hasn’t been well, but I still think he has a reasonable handicap. He’s a great all-round sports coach (taught me most of what I know about coaching hockey and cricket) so I’m sure that playing with him will benefit my game enormously.

Last point: yes I agree, but would point out that driving is not entirely for show. If you don’t get the ball in play from the tee you are always going to be struggling. We worked pretty much exclusively on this during my lesson yesterday. I’m reasonably okay with the irons but my problems are off the tee and on the green. I definitely need a better putter and a lot of practice on the green.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:48 am
Last point: yes I agree, but would point out that driving is not entirely for show. If you don’t get the ball in play from the tee you are always going to be struggling. We worked pretty much exclusively on this during my lesson yesterday. I’m reasonably okay with the irons but my problems are off the tee and on the green. I definitely need a better putter and a lot of practice on the green.
The driving for show is more a reference to those who quest for distance and can do little else. I play with guys who easily out drive me by 40-60 yards. the problem is that is the best part of their game. Yo can beat them in close.

I agree that keeping the ball in play off the tee is a stroke saver.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I notice from looking back at my stats that greens hit in regulation are more important to my game than fairways hit. It is true that they are somewhat linked but that isn't always the case. I can hit plenty of fairways but my score suffers when I don't get the greens in regulation.

While I agree it really boils down to practice, I would add that it is really good deliberate practice with an end goal in mind for every session that makes the most difference. I see plenty of guys at the range just bashing balls around with no plan or goal. Deliberate practice with a long term goal marked with short term milestones is the most effective. This is where having a coach can be very helpful.

As far as getting out of trouble - my golf coach always used to say, "The smart play is always the right play." When you are in trouble the strokes can add up quickly if you try to be too fancy or try low percentage shots that aren't in your bag to begin with.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia

Bought a new putter today. I got fitted for it in the pro shop and sunk four in a row with the one I ended up buying. I did a few holes with my mate who plays off 13 and almost matched him on the greens. Still lousy off the tee, though! :lol:

Still, if I can improve the putting I can take several strokes off a round eventually.

My mate reckons I’m a bit impatient and want to see measurable progress immediately. He’s right of course. I…must…persevere.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:22 pm

My mate reckons I’m a bit impatient and want to see measurable progress immediately. He’s right of course. I…must…persevere.
It is frustrating…..you are always keen to see the progress in lessons translate to the course but in reality it takes a while. Good that your putting has taken a big step though :thumbup:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Cheers, Andy!
Steve

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Just a quick review of my golf break to East Sussex National.

Simply put it was fantastic, really beautiful courses, really hard too, a great hotel with good food and facilities.
And an absolute bargain at £150.
For 1 nights stay, dinner, breakfast and a round on each of the courses.

Only let down by my poor performance on the East course on day 1.
But I managed a decent round on the west course on day 2.

I can't recommend it enough, loved it.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

Excellent, Steve. Glad you had a great time!
Steve

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:02 pm Excellent, Steve. Glad you had a great time!
Thanks Steve

What style of putter did you go for, I use a mallet style, which I can also fish the ball out of the cup with, when it eventually goes in.

It's quite amazing to think, even when I'm putting well, it around a third of my round in putts alone.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

Yep, I bought a mallet style. It’s a Wilson, and they were among the cheaper ones – prices went up a bit steeply after that. But on the indoor putting mat in the shop I sank four in a row from about 10 feet.

Out on the course we played the three practice holes (two shortish par 4s and a par 3) twice around. Because no one else was using it we took three balls each and counted the combined strokes for each hole. I received five strokes per hole combined and managed to halve a couple. So in the end it was a bit like playing a full 18 but without the variety. Two putts with each ball on each green would obviously have been 36; I took 47. A few three-putts but also a couple where I just needed the one. I was pleased with that. Played a few nice pitch shots too, but was dire off the tee!
Steve

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:15 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:02 pm Excellent, Steve. Glad you had a great time!
Thanks Steve

What style of putter did you go for, I use a mallet style, which I can also fish the ball out of the cup with, when it eventually goes in.

It's quite amazing to think, even when I'm putting well, it around a third of my round in putts alone.

Regards Steve
Steve,

Not actually telling you off here but using your putter to remove the ball from the hole could damage not just your putter head/face but is also likely to damage the edge of the hole.

Not the best way to retrieve your ball from the cup.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 pm Just a quick review of my golf break to East Sussex National.

Simply put it was fantastic, really beautiful courses, really hard too, a great hotel with good food and facilities.
And an absolute bargain at £150.
For 1 nights stay, dinner, breakfast and a round on each of the courses.

Only let down by my poor performance on the East course on day 1.
But I managed a decent round on the west course on day 2.

I can't recommend it enough, loved it.

Regards Steve
It's good to hear that East Sussex continues to be a great place for play and stay.

How did your scores compare with your home course?
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Hi Mikkie

Yeah, in hindsight it's not only potentially damaging, but a bit lazy too.

My first round in the East course was really bad, pretty much slicing everything into that long rough. So plenty of lost balls.
Also the greens were of a completely different standard to those at my home course. Much harder to read and really fast, so even near misses, ended up being difficult to put in next shot.

The west course was very similar, in the respect of the rough and wooded areas, but I played it much better and putted well.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:29 pm Hi Mikkie

Yeah, in hindsight it's not only potentially damaging, but a bit lazy too.

My first round in the East course was really bad, pretty much slicing everything into that long rough. So plenty of lost balls.
Also the greens were of a completely different standard to those at my home course. Much harder to read and really fast, so even near misses, ended up being difficult to put in next shot.

The west course was very similar, in the respect of the rough and wooded areas, but I played it much better and putted well.

Regards Steve
Steve,

Thanks for taking my putter comment so graciously.

Re. East Sussex, it's always had 2 relatively difficult courses with plenty of rough or trees to capture loose shots. I haven't played there for some years but I remember them as 2 high quality courses requiring straight hitting, concentration and a good short game to achieve decent scoring, hence the interest in your opinion.

Playing such courses will undoubtedly help your golf so keep at it.

regards,

Mick.