The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by magicman »

Visited the range twice today, it paid off, as I had a cracking round this evening.
Got 47 Stableford points, didn't score on the 18th but shot a 77. Our little gangs course record, it's a par 64.
The YouTube tips are working for me !

AVO, that trip to St Andrews, sounds fantastic.
I've never seen a pro in action, but it's definitely something I will do in the future.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

magicman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 pm Visited the range twice today, it paid off, as I had a cracking round this evening.
Got 47 Stableford points, didn't score on the 18th but shot a 77. Our little gangs course record, it's a par 64.

I've never seen a pro in action, but it's definitely something I will do in the future.

Regards Steve

47 points????
A drop in handicap due then! :lol:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 pm Visited the range twice today, it paid off, as I had a cracking round this evening.

Regards Steve
42 points last week.
47 points this week by shooting 77 on a par64 without scoring points on the 18th?
Think you're playing off the wrong handicap and/or you should be giving lessons rather than watching YouTube for tips.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Shooting 13 over par is never shabby. Well done!!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

47 points= total bandit!

Off to the Warwickshire for Sunday and Monday this weekend.
Way I am playing i may not get 47 points for the two rounds combined! At least I will have comfy new golf shoes. Bought the footjoy hyperflex boa yesterday. They are very nice
Cheers now, Paul
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

stefs wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:06 am 47 points= total bandit!

Off to the Warwickshire for Sunday and Monday this weekend.
Way I am playing i may not get 47 points for the two rounds combined! At least I will have comfy new golf shoes. Bought the footjoy hyperflex boa yesterday. They are very nice
The Warwickshire is a good place for a golf break with 2 very different courses that are more than "resort" courses. If you haven't been before I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A golf joke from another forum...

One evening, after the honeymoon, Tim was cleaning his golf clubs for his Saturday game.
His wife was standing at the bench watching him. After a long period of silence she finally speaks.

"Honey, I've been thinking, now that we are married I think it's time you quit playing so much golf. Maybe you should sell your clubs and cancel your membership at the golf club."

Tim gets this horrified look on his face.

She says, "Darling, what's wrong?"

He states, “For a minute there you were sounding like my ex-wife.”

"Ex wife!", she screams, "I didn't know you were married before!"

He replies, “I wasn't.”
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

"Hola"

Scored 40 points again today.
It's not my fault, honestly.
The self appointed Captain of our gang has stated that as our course doesn't have a slope rating, we can't adjust our handicaps based on our scores there.
Our local rules apply, I'm off 24 based on scores made on all other courses I've played and getting cut for winning, So I take that.
I average 36 over for all the rounds I've played in my life, away from our course, so 28 Is probably where I was at before my recent improvement.
He also won't set his handicap lower than 18.
So rather than him getting cut if he wins, ours go up :? I would be happy to get down to 18 and beyond, so I can't figure out his problem.

I'm not going to fight him, because he's hardwork and it doesn't affect anyone us currently.
The issue is when we play society days away from home, I would like to play with a fair handicap, but until I work out a rating for our course, it's not doable.
Any suggestions for a resolution are welcome.

Obviously 42/47/40 points gained in my last 3 rounds proves my handicap needs adjusting.
As I believe playing to your handicap, shouldn't be a weekly occurance.
I heard 1 in 8 times is average, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My other playing partner, who was the most experienced and best player among us, has fallen away, and had decided to get some custom fitted clubs, if your thinking of doing the same, the lead time is 10-12 weeks here in the UK, so if your thinking of doing it, be aware.
Hopefully they will be worth the wait and he will see some improvement.

As you can tell from the above, I'm heavily into and enjoying my golf at the moment, hopefully for many years to come.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Where are you playing Steve? Can’t understand why it wouldn’t have a slope rating. Also do i remember it being a par62? Very unusually low
Cheers now, Paul
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^It's Cranfield golf club, also known as Golf Kingdom, Whalebone Lane, Romford.
Par 64/4260 yds. Hence the low scoring on strokeplay and high on Stableford.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:04 pm ^^^It's Cranfield golf club, also known as Golf Kingdom, Whalebone Lane, Romford.
Par 64/4260 yds. Hence the low scoring on strokeplay and high on Stableford.

Regards Steve
There's a couple of websites (swingbyswing and bluegolf) that list this course as having a slope of 110/113. However it's not listed by England Golf so not sure how the 2 websites have a slope rating for it but maybe your gang could agree to use this slope when playing Cranfield?

You could look at England Golf's new on-line Handicap scheme for non-club members to see if it might suit your circumstances. It wouldn't solve the problem when playing at Cranfield but would enable you to obtain an official CDH number and then also a Handicap Index by inputting your card scores when playing at other courses. It costs £40.

If you joined that, to get a HI quickly you and others could do an initial 3 rounds at Hainault or other reasonably priced slope-rated courses close by and input your scores into the EG on-line scheme. You might need to play with and have the scores agreed by somebody that already has a CDH and HI (I'm not sure as I haven't read about the scheme in full).

Today I matched your 40points stableford score off a playing h'cap of 19. Steady golf with 42 shots on each 9 that included 7 pars and 2 birdies on a par69 course. My HI (19.6) is a bit high at present as my golf during the previous 2 years was very erratic so the 8 best scores in those 2 years was fairly poor. It's been getting much better and more consistent after buying a fully custom fit set (except 3wood and driver) last October.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Is the CDH the same as the USGA GHIN system in the USA?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

It’s good for the self confidence to keep scoring 40 something points but it clearly indicates that your handicap is completely wrong. If you are playing regularly on a course that doesn’t have a slope rating and is only Par 62 then it must be excluded from the Golf England courses because it doesn’t meet minimum requirements.
The suggestion above regarding non members is good but once you obtained an initial index it would have no bearing (and wouldn’t be adjusted) when you played at Cranfield.
Perhaps what you could all do is revert to the old style of handicap system just for Cranfield? If you’ve all kept your cards for the last few rounds then you could go back over them and adjust accordingly. If not just do it going forward. Based on your last three scores I would estimate that the old handicap system would have pegged you to around 18 as you would have been cut based on improvement and exceptional scoring.
Your ‘captain’ who refuses to let his handicap drop below 18 needs to be spoken to. He is effectively cheating and artificially maintaining a higher handicap. The idea of raising your handicaps when he wins is laughable.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

village wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:12 am It’s good for the self confidence to keep scoring 40 something points but it clearly indicates that your handicap is completely wrong. If you are playing regularly on a course that doesn’t have a slope rating and is only Par 62 then it must be excluded from the Golf England courses because it doesn’t meet minimum requirements.
The suggestion above regarding non members is good but once you obtained an initial index it would have no bearing (and wouldn’t be adjusted) when you played at Cranfield.
Perhaps what you could all do is revert to the old style of handicap system just for Cranfield? If you’ve all kept your cards for the last few rounds then you could go back over them and adjust accordingly. If not just do it going forward. Based on your last three scores I would estimate that the old handicap system would have pegged you to around 18 as you would have been cut based on improvement and exceptional scoring.
Your ‘captain’ who refuses to let his handicap drop below 18 needs to be spoken to. He is effectively cheating and artificially maintaining a higher handicap. The idea of raising your handicaps when he wins is laughable.
Some good points, thanks for those.

I've told him, I will be cutting myself and if I go below 18 and he refuses to follow suit, then I will no longer play for beers etc.
Although he too has got a higher handicap of 20 if he removes this course from the calculator, so hence the current ongoing argument.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Kip wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:47 am Is the CDH the same as the USGA GHIN system in the USA?
Yes Kip, same thing, your unique id number for the countries golf association.