Watches in bed

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Watches in bed

Post by strapline »

I like to wear a watch in bed with good lume so I can read the time when I wake during the night or in the early hours before I get up. This obviously means I need to wear a watch which I can see overnight, and not every watch I’ve owned has been great in this regard.

It was this quote by Ian that got me round to thinking, has this question been addressed on this forum: Do you wear your watch/watches in bed? It must have been asked, maybe multiple times. I've seen a couple of posts of late that show that a few people do. As much as I love watches this is a no go for me. They are always taken off and placed by the table at the side of my bed. I like to wear bigger, tool-type watches, and want to limit the risk of any serious facial damage to myself or...er...a third party. Perhaps if I wore a small, thin dressy affair; but I still think it would be a no. At the end of the day, literally, I like to sever the relationship only to reacquaint it the following morning, choosing a watch befitting my mood.

So...do you? If you do would it seem odd not to? Tell us a bit about your rationale one way or the other. Maybe there's a hilarious story in there?

NB. I am not compiling any dubious database here, your info will not be shared with any third parties. This post strictly adheres to GDPR guidelines :lol: :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Watches in bed

Post by scooter »

I do not feel the need to wear a watch in bed so never have.

Can't recall ever been interested in the lume of a watch either.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have slept with a watch on my wrist on occasions, most usually when camping or staying in hostels on a hike. Generally speaking I don’t. I take my watch off and put it on the bedside table. At home I have a radio controlled alarm with a very good display.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Well seeing as my quote started this, I think you know my answer.

I don’t have any hilarious stories though, it’s just something I’ve always done. I sold my white face MK2 trident as the silver hands made it impossible to see in low light in the early morning before daybreak but after the lume had faded.

I have read about people taking them off and accidentally leaving watches in hotels, so at least I don’t have that worry.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Nope, tried it, couldn't get on with it.
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Sometimes.

1. When staying away from home.

2. When sleeping in our guest bedroom, after a late night of refreshments, to ensure that I don’t disturb or annoy Mrs nbg.

On other occasions I take my watch off and put it on the floor, by the side of the bed. I don’t put it on the bedside table.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I love reading the time from the watch on my wrist so I’d never settle for handing over time keeping functions to a bedside clock! I love the lume on the C63 auto. I don’t sleep well, so love catching the glow from my watch at points throughout the night
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

No side splitting anecdotes from me, I’m afraid. I rarely wear a watch in bed but when I have I only wear my beater
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

scooter wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:30 am I do not feel the need to wear a watch in bed so never have.

Can't recall ever been interested in the lume of a watch either.

scooter
Same.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior

Post by EcosseOz »

Absolutely do, 365 days (366 in a leap) a year, have done since I was in my early teens, so going on doing so for nearly 40yrs. Never been as issue, as a watch wearer its a natural thing to do IMHO.
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Mostly I do and always when travelling. At home usually a beater with good lume. Occasionally I can't get on with it if I have a restless night and have to ditch, then I have to be careful as cats can and possibly deliberately will disturb my bedside table....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Usually only when traveling, but even then not always.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

iain wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:43 am Well seeing as my quote started this, I think you know my answer.

I don’t have any hilarious stories though, it’s just something I’ve always done. I sold my white face MK2 trident as the silver hands made it impossible to see in low light in the early morning before daybreak but after the lume had faded.

I have read about people taking them off and accidentally leaving watches in hotels, so at least I don’t have that worry.
Hope you didn't mind me quoting you, Ian, it could have been from a number of posts of recent. And, incidentally, if I had your El Primero I might never take it off, certainly when staying in hotels. :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

It’s gonna be a hard no from me. I take it off for bed no matter what.

I had a Fossil watch that I loved when I was around 13 or so that I wore day and night, 24/7 for a whole year. Then one day I was playing basketball with a friend, and he blocked me hard on a dunk attempt. I fell to the concrete and shattered the crystal. I threw it away and didn’t wear a watch again till I was an adult. Never slept with a watch on again either.

BTW, I was probably less than 5ft tall at the time trying to dunk on a 7ft rim, which I couldn’t reach even at that time. It was a very ill advised dunk attempt. Though I’m pretty sure I still won the game.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I don't wear a watch in bed, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I know I would whack myself in the face with it at some point during the night or whack it on the bedside table. Secondly, it gives the skin on my wrist a chance to rest and recover from the previous day. If I wore watches 24/7 I would get all sorts of rashes on my wrist within a couple of days as the skin would never get a chance to breathe.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr