How important is Power Reserve to you?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

How important is Power Reserve to you?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have never owned a watch with a Power Reserve meter. Nor have I owned a watch with a SH21 movement. I must admit it is something that has never bothered me in the slightest. I have a watch winder but I don’t use it very often these days.

My current wearing habits generally mean that I have the same watch on for perhaps three or four days, sometimes even a week or more. I never follow a rotation. Very rarely do I wear one of my “main” watches for just a day. If I’m currently wearing a manual winder, I just wind it every morning; if I’m wearing an auto I just wear it. When I decide it’s time for a different watch it goes back in the box and runs down, to be reset at the next appropriate juncture. I couldn’t even tell you how long some of my watches run for, from fully wound to stopped.

So I guess that Power Reserve would be relatively low on my list of priorities. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: How important is Power Reserve to you?

Post by timor54 »

Are you talking about length of power reserve or a power reserve indicator?
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

timor54 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:27 am Are you talking about length of power reserve or a power reserve indicator?
Sorry, Tim. Should’ve made that clear.

Yes, I mean both.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A power reserve indicator is probably one of my favourite complications.

It reminds me of a fuel gauge on a vehicle and that being mechanical a watch needs human intervention to sustain power.

I love the way that the indicator ebbs and flows and wouldn't have bought my North Flag without it.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Power reserve used to be important to me until I had half a clue. A 72 hour power reserve on my first auto was a bit of a pull but considering it was my daily wearer it was somewhat pointless.
I've an SH21 manual wind and the 5 day power reserve is a waste of time as it doesn't really handle things very well after day three and starts to run amok.
My explorer only has a two day reserve and it's just fine. I don't mind resetting the time on it after I've not been wearing it. That said, I'd expect the newer Rolex movements fare better than the SH21 when left alone for a few days so I would probably really appreciate the 5 days on it.

Filed as unimportant.

Edit: I've just read other posts.... Not generally interested in power reserve indicators. Just more mess that's not needed. I'd only accept it on a Chopard Miglia
downer

Post by downer »

The actual amount of PR on a watch is not too important to me, particularly on an automatic, because once I start wearing it the watch will run until I stop wearing it.

For a manual wind (which are not my favourite) I prefer a longer PR as I often forget to wind them. In this situation I can imagine a PR indicator would be useful.

Autos with PR indicators could seem a bit unnecessary, although as scooter says, they do provide visual interest and I do like the feature on my C65 SH21.
Richard
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I quite like a PR indicator, I think it's a very useful complication and I wouldn't mind betting that they've been in use for quite a long time. More importantly, I think, they can make or break a dial. They can add to or take away from the dial aesthetic. The Tudor NF is a good example of this; personally I think it works well but I have heard some corners be far less generous in their assessment of it. A good PR indicator probably appeals more to me than a day/date complication.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I like the PR indicator on my North Flag. I value it as a sedentariness gauge.
Tim
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I like the idea of it and sometimes i like the way they are done on a dial but have no real use as rotate watches too often to worry about how long it will last. I still cant get why the ones on GS's are upside down (the indicator moves upwards as the power goes down)
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Not at all. I’m the same in that I’ll wear a watch for a couple of days and then it’ll go back in the box to run down.

That said, I feel like I’m an outlier when it comes to certain features on watches. There’s aspects mentioned in every review I read which are clearly important to huge amounts of people, but which I never think about. Accuracy is one. So long as the watch performs roughly within its specified tolerances, I couldn’t care less if it gives me +2 seconds or +15 seconds a day. Lume is another thing I never consider. But each to their own!
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

The now standard 36 hour power reserve is fine by me I tend to wear my watches at random so I accept they'll need a wind when I pick one up (which often makes me wonder if I need an automatic mechanism!) I have one with a day-date which i keep on the winder and turn it on a few hours each day only because resetting the day and date is a bit of a pain. But overall I'm happy with the 36 hours offered by nearly all the manufacturers as a minimum. Power reserve. Indicators seem a bit pointless and certainly I can't see the purpose of one on an automatic watch if its a daily wear.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

I'm reading 'The Watch' by Alexander Barter formerly Southey's Deputy Head of Watches Worldwide.

In it he writes that Jaeger-LeCoultre in the early 1950s introduced a model called the 'Futurematic' which dispensed entirely with manual winding, which at the time was a bold move as much of the criticism of early automatic watches from the 20s and 30s was the inability to be topped up with power if required.

The addition of a power reserve to the dial was to allay the users' concern that the watch might stop without warning.

I have a Seiko 5 auto that doesn't have a manual wind but no power reserve and it's never troubled me.

My C65 SH21 does of course and I bought it partly because of the power reserve display and actually, if I'm honest, partly also for bragging rights that it has that function!
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Not at all for me from an indicator perspective, as long as an Auto/Manual has enough power to run through a day and is still going the following day (often in the afternoon/evening) then I'm all good. I typically wear for a few days and back in the box to run down.
From a dial design aesthetic, they can really add to the interest on some watches and are nice to see/have though. Actually to flip this, if not a balanced or well executed integral part of the design then they can spoil an otherwise attractive watch.

In short, not necessary but quite nice to have if its a cohesive design.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

As many of you already know, I'm a big fan of a PR indicator on many watches..within my collection, here's two excellent examples of it..
GO PanoReserve-65-01-02-02-04(1).jpg
Seiko Flightmaster(2).jpg
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Until you asked this question, a power reserve indicator, was not on my wishlist, as I like a plain watch.
But it did get me thinking and searching.
Has anyone come across a power reserve indicator using the 4th hand (think GMT) with 60 hrs of power marked on the fixed Bezel.
Now that may just tickle my fancy as I like the look of a GMT but don't use the function.
If it doesn't exist I think it should.
Maybe the engineering isn't easy or possibly.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39