Spring bar tweezers

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Spring bar tweezers

Post by kiter65 »

Can anyone recommend a decent spring bar removal tool, tweezer/clamp type, had a quick search on net and there is a big price range. Not looking to pay bergeon price but don’t mind paying a few quid as long as they are decent or if anyone has a bergeon one they would sell, thanks :D
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Spring bar tweezers

Post by Bident »

I really like the Horofix tweezers, very similar to the Bergeon but cheaper (although still about US$90). I bought mine from Esslinger.com at the link below:

https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-spring-bar-tweezers/

It comes with two extra tips (one per side) and an Allen wrench like tool to change them.

If you scroll down you will also see Horofix makes a version where the tips curve down, called "ergonomic tips", for the same price. I've no experience with this version so can't comment if it makes any difference. Also, you can see they sell the Bergeon for US$150 in the same section of the page.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
John
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Cheers John
Like the look of the pliers type :thumbup:
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

kiter65 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:15 pm Cheers John
Like the look of the pliers type :thumbup:
I have a cheapo pliers type I bought from Amazon. It's actually served me well, but I would like to point out the tweezers type makes it a bit easier to fit the second endlink on the watch without having to remove one bracelet end from the clasp as it provides more space for the tool to wrap around the bracelet. On the other hand, I do have one watch where the spring bars are quite tight, and the tweezers never seem to get enough leverage/purchase, so I use my pliers which work every time.
Best regards,
John
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I use a pair of cheap spring-bar pliers like this-

The tool itself is quite utility- there's not much to make a hash of, but the critical piece is the quality of the tips. I change out the cheap tips for Bergeon ones which gives you the utility of the tool but with high tool-strength quality tips that are fine enough to get at most spring bars but strong enough to not deform or break and all at a good price The tips that come with the cheap pliers tend to be made of soap/cheese/jelly <your similie goes here>.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Now there's a plan, cheers Rich :thumbup:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

richtel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:18 pm I use a pair of cheap spring-bar pliers like this-

The tool itself is quite utility- there's not much to make a hash of, but the critical piece is the quality of the tips. I change out the cheap tips for Bergeon ones which gives you the utility of the tool but with high tool-strength quality tips that are fine enough to get at most spring bars but strong enough to not deform or break and all at a good price The tips that come with the cheap pliers tend to be made of soap/cheese/jelly <your similie goes here>.
I think I need to do that. I struggle with cheap tweezers, but the full cost of the Bergeon tool is rather a lot.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I bought the Horofix pliers, same as shown in the picture above. Not worth the $90 I paid and they appear to be the same as the ones you can find on eBay for $10.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Richard I have both the Bergeon 6825 and 7825. I think that the 7825 are easier to use. So even if not getting the Bergeon version, I would get the style of the 7825.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I too have 6825 style (an ebay cheapie) with genuine Bergeon tips, As Rich says the chocolate tips are absolutely useless. The (mostly slight) issue with the pliers is that you usually have to separate the bracelet at the clasp to reach comfortably, so if I were investing again I would also go 7825. You might as well buy the genuine article in this case as the tips cost as much as the whole tool! TBH, I find myself using the ubiquitous 6767F more often than not, it's enough to get the job done in most cases though the pliers can make it easier to get a bracelet back on.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I only have experience with the Bergeon 7825's as I bought them for my Explorer and I wasn't putting cheap ones near it for the sake of a few quid. They're easy to use, especially considering I hadn't even changed a bracelet over before. I had more bother taking the strap back off it with the 6767. I'll be cutting notches in it before it goes back on.

I've seen some wild prices for the 7825's but you shouldn't have to pay more than £100/£110 including VAT from either of two suppliers (not sure if it's against forum rules to name them).
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Bungle-ator wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:15 pm

I've seen some wild prices for the 7825's but you shouldn't have to pay more than £100/£110 including VAT from either of two suppliers (not sure if it's against forum rules to name them).
Just checked at Cousins and the good news is these have dropped in price considerably since I last looked. I'd say at this price the 7825 is the one to go for. I may have to upgrade.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^
The 6825 is still £145.00.
Do you find the 7825 as effective?
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Cheers chaps, thanks for all your input, I’ve had a moment of clarity, my watch buying days have come to an end for the foreseeable (unless a 14060m sub turns up :lol: ) So was thinking to start investing in some more expensive strap options. Considering I intend to be swapping straps on my Rolex, Omega, Tudor and Bremont watches why am I looking for a cheap option. I will be looking at the Bergeon range, now the research for the best one/price begins :D
Thanks again to you all for your suggestions, it’s great how a few suggestions can focus the mind :thumbup:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

One other option to bear in mind is a quick release system, such as the one CW use on all their straps which save the need for tools.

Even so, you still need to remove the existing strap of course.