The Perfect Size - FOR YOU?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: The Perfect Size - FOR YOU?

Post by timor54 »

The dial to case size ratio is very interesting.

My Black Bay 58 has a dial diameter of about 28mm which for a 39mm case is fine for me.

Now what interests me is the C63 Sealander GMT that has external dimensions, from the CW website, almost identical to that of the BB58. I’ve attempted to estimate the C63 dial diameter by measuring the case/dial ratio on a screen and I get a dial diameter of about 31mm, which is a lot of dial for a 39mm watch.

Is there a C63 GMT owner that can measure the dial size to confirm this?
Tim
bwedlund

Post by bwedlund »

For me it is 42mm, but with a short lug to lug.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

This has been a fascinating read with regards to peoples perceptions :thumbup:
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
I agree. It's all about perceptions, to you, because that's all that matters, and ratios. I've reread this thread and found a number of the comments really interesting. In the past I was happy to buy watches online without be able to try them on. So far I seem to have been lucky, I'm happy with what I've bought, but I could have got my fingers burnt. I'm not sure I'll ever buy a watch again without being able to try it on; I think it's only then that you can assess how the marriage of all these variables looks on YOUR wrist.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

welshlad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:36 pm For me, the most important single metric is dial size (excluding any rehaut or internal bezel).
This is something that I must admit I hadn’t considered in any great detail, but the more I look at it the more I think you’re right.

I think I was edging towards it when I made my point about dial to bezel ratio being important, and not liking tiny dials with great big wide bezels. I shall have to get the tape measure and the calipers out later and check a few measurements.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^
Dials are smaller than you think. I bought a Calvin Klein infinite for very little money. ETA 2824. They obviously gave up on automatics and just do quartz now. It's 42mm with a thin bezel, so dial is at least 38mm. Looked massive at first, but no problem now I'm used to it.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:03 pm
welshlad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:36 pm For me, the most important single metric is dial size (excluding any rehaut or internal bezel).
This is something that I must admit I hadn’t considered in any great detail, but the more I look at it the more I think you’re right.

I think I was edging towards it when I made my point about dial to bezel ratio being important, and not liking tiny dials with great big wide bezels. I shall have to get the tape measure and the calipers out later and check a few measurements.
Interesting. The result did in fact bear out what I was expecting to find. None of the bezels on my watches is particularly wide, but even so the ones with movable or numbered bezels have smaller dials. Easily the biggest dial among my watches is the MeisterSinger Metris. It’s a 34.5 mm dial in a 38 mm case.

As you can see the polished bezel is very narrow, and the rehaut is absolutely vertical. So the dial goes right to the edge. This is perhaps what prompted me to say, on the day it arrived, that it felt more like 40 mm than 38 mm. It just looks bigger.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

^^^ I also checked and my Metris is both the largest and smallest watch in my collection. I was surprised as to how relatively small the dials are on my dive watches; even including some jumbos like a Seiko Turtle and Oris Aquis :-k
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia

timor54 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm ...like a Seiko Turtle and Oris Aquis :-k
Two of the culprits I had in mind when I said that I disliked watches with huge bezels and small dials! :lol:
Steve

5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

timor54 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:22 pm The dial to case size ratio is very interesting.

My Black Bay 58 has a dial diameter of about 28mm which for a 39mm case is fine for me.

Now what interests me is the C63 Sealander GMT that has external dimensions, from the CW website, almost identical to that of the BB58. I’ve attempted to estimate the C63 dial diameter by measuring the case/dial ratio on a screen and I get a dial diameter of about 31mm, which is a lot of dial for a 39mm watch.

Is there a C63 GMT owner that can measure the dial size to confirm this?
Check the C63 sealander thread for some great pics comparing dials...but pretty much the C63 39mm has an almost identical size dial to the C60 42mm at about 33mm.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

5oclockhero wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:10 pm
Check the C63 sealander thread for some great pics comparing dials...but pretty much the C63 39mm has an almost identical size dial to the C60 42mm at about 33mm.
Thank you, I’d missed those posts.
Tim
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

iain wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:45 pm Don’t get fooled by wrist photos which make a watch look oversized. Here’s a typical wrist shot of one of my larger watches. In this photo it appears to overhang the wrist and looks a little too big.

But then when you see it in a mirror from the kind of distance most others will view your watch it’s perfectly normal.
Probably one of the best pieces of advice in this thread for those of us that spend too much time gazing at our wrists weighing up the difference a mm can make. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

40mm seems to be a sweet spot for me.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I have about 8" wrist. For me i'd say 42 or 43mm
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I picked this up from another thread on this forum
5oclockhero wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm For the size obsessed this is possibly the definitive guide...
https://timeandtidewatches.com/sex-powe ... ects-life/
Very interesting reading and relevant to this thread.

In my case, using the articles calculations...
The flat of my wrist is wrist diameter 19.5cm x 10 = 195mm / 3 = 65mm
Therefore...
The watch case size would be 60% - 75% of the flat of the wrist = 39 - 48.75mm
The Lug to Lug length would be 75% - 95% of flat of the wrist = 48.75 - 61.75mm
So taking an average of those sizes, I get a watch size of 43.875 and a L2L of 55.25
I said my ideal watch size was 42mm diameter and an L2L of 50mm for my 19.5mm wrist size