“Collections within Collections”

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

“Collections within Collections”

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

In a recent thread I wrote this as part of my watch buying criteria:
Avoidance of repetition: I have been very careful in recent years to aim for a certain variety in my watch box. Apart from my four Christopher Wards (I have owned up to 8 at a time) I have tried to avoid brand repetition, and my “modern box” has one each of: Omega, Cartier, Ulysse Nardin, MeisterSinger and Orient. The watches themselves comprise: three chronographs; a retro style diver; a more traditional cheap diver; a single-hander with good WR; a fascinating and dressy GMT; a gold tone dress watch; and a dressy rectangular classic.
To be fair, I think I might have given the impression that avoiding repetition was a very conscious strategy. In truth, I think it was a little more haphazard; it sort of came about that way and has evolved into a nice little collection of mainly very different watches. Apart from the four CWs, you might spot a little predilection for blue dials. But apart from that, they are mainly pretty different. A bit of a Rag, Tag and Bobtail group.

Now, I must stress that there are absolutely no rights and wrongs in this; how and what we collect is a matter of personal choice. I certainly notice reading through the forum that some members have considerable collections of watches from a single brand. Almost without exception these are part of a wider collection, hence the idea of a “collection within a collection”. Sometimes when looking at SOTC threads, I see boxes of very similar looking watches. Quite often these are dive watches, some of them from well-known makers, and occasionally little collections from micro brands and even kickstarters.

I thought it might be an idea to get some of these “collections within collections” together in the same place to celebrate their homogeneity, and perhaps prevail upon their owners to take us through the different watches and explain the rationale behind their collection.

Just an idea...:D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: “Collections within Collections”

Post by ajax87 »

I like this!

The best I can do is a sub collection of all the sizes of mk3 C60 available: 38/40/42 in the guise of the GMT, Sapphire and Abyss. No real rationale in this sub-collection, as I didn’t set out to do this. I just bought the 3 at different times because I liked how they look.
Even though they are in the same collection within CW and have basically the same case, they are each very unique in their intention and design.

But what I’m really waiting for is for Gary (gaf1958) and Chuck (Thunder1) to chime in...

8393F044-0961-4105-9702-713724283C63.jpeg
5CD3D3E7-F876-431F-B956-B7412C88ACF0.jpeg
06C40F25-93C8-46FF-9A56-633C6E53DF0F.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
Stif
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

An interesting question. I’ve not really planned building my collection as such but have just seemed to have randomly added watches that have appealed when funds allowed.

I have bought watches I thought I would like but then looked very similar to something else in my collection. Black divers being an obvious one. When I have done this I have then always selected to wear the watch I preferred and found the other never had a look in so was eventually sold on.

Where I now have what could be considered a collection within a collection, such as two Bremonts, or two IWC’s. They are actually very different watches so pass my ‘not too similar’ test.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ Good point, I never really thought about it but maybe subconsciously I also have a “not too similar test”. My sub collection works because even though they’re all C60s, they are about as dissimilar as you can get within the collection.

And I recently sold a Tissot black dial chronograph, telling myself it was too big at 45mm, but maybe also a little bit because it was too similar looking to my Speedmaster?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Objectively I can subscribe to the notion of a 'Collection within a Collection' on several fronts;-

My Elliot Browns; 5 x Canford, 4 x Bloxworth, 3 x Holton, 1 x Tyneham and 1 x Broadstone.

Then there's my 'one each' of Drakens; Tugela, Peregrine, Kalahari, Tugela 2.0, Benguela, Tugela 3.0 Shaka.

How about a 'Battle of Britain' Collection?

Consists of; CW C4 & W7 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, C5 BoB LE, C8 Al Deere, probably ought to include the C9 Me 109 SPC LE. Then from GasGasBones a 6B MkIII 'Scramble'.

Over time I've had a variety of pairs of watches i.e. C60 Trident Mk2 SH21 white dial LE and black dial / red bezel 1 of 32.

There have been others . . . .

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

For me I collected watches of all sorts (and variety is the cornerstone of life in general for me) until I got to understand what I enjoyed the most about the watches I'd chosen.
And per my SOTC, I have a sub-collection of three I guess bigger investments that reflect what I now understand as my kind of watches, what's hot, what's not. So I enjoy those not just for what they are but what I learned along the way. Both sides of the brain satisfied. And Holy Snagglepots, Batman, I am enjoying those! When you look at them just as three watches they are that mythical three watch collection although it wasn't really planned that way as such.

The COOL thing is many of the watches I learned from are now my wear-to-work-in-steelcaps watches and I enjoy a different part of the journey at work every day. So that is its own sub-collection if you like. And I wouldn't be where I am now on the journey without them. The BB58 Blue makes me appreciate the C65 Trident Diver all the more, it really does. Just one example.

A couple of more dressy pieces are their own collection, at least in my perception. I will wear them less, less "call" for them I guess, but they have their place for sure.

Now I have a solid, working and rotating collection that I enjoy, there is this: areas to be explored. There is a fascination with vintage pieces that I want to dabble in although there is MUCH to be learned first. That will also be its own thing.
The other thing is that all my watches are different brands. I think there is something good to be found in developing an interest in one brand and the story of it. Which one is a slam-dunk and this forum has the name on the top of it. CW are really on a roll. Sapphire, SC, C63 just recently.

The "Collections within collections" notion is one with many faces. Good subject!
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I think that for many of us it is quite natural to end up with “collections within collections”.

Personally I have never been drawn to the concept of trying to have as wide a range of brands and styles, with minimal duplication, to end up with a collection where a fellow collector may comment “ah that’s a rounded collection, all bases covered”. I know what I like, and what I don’t like and certain brands and styles are of limited or zero interest to me.

I would far rather just have the styles and brands that I like, at different price points, even if that means I have ended up with a majority of dive and sports style watches, usually worn on a bracelet.

As far as consciously putting together a mini collection of a particular style, I did come close with Speedmasters, having four at one point and having worked out the further three I wanted to add. I changed my mind, sold a couple and now have two (one I will never sell and one I will get around to selling).

I have though ended up with a mini collection of three manual wind, round cased, small seconds watches. However in buying them, there was no attempt to put together a small seconds collection.

I took these pics last year, as I had intended to do a write up of a small collection of small seconds! :)

I had tried on Nomos watches a few times and thought I needed something dressy, as an alternative to my RG Reverso. Ended up buying a 35mm Ludwig. Ruled out the Tangente as I didn’t like the lugs. Ruled out the Orion, as it didn’t sit well on the wrist.

Next was the 38+mm Moser Endeavour. Another watch I had tried on and decided that if I saw one at a good price I would buy. The attraction was an independent, under the radar brand that few had heard of, albeit more known now than in 2016 when I bought mine, where the level of finishing was on a par with stuff costing far more (and where you actually owned the watch, rather than just looked after it for the next generation! :silent:). Whilst the specs typically indicate the power reserve to be 72 hours, it will run for 90.

I had previously bought a Pinion Atom39, so was aware of the quality. For some reason I thought that I ought to try the 42mm Pure. My reasoning being it was larger than I would normally choose for a non twisty bezel watch, so could I use it as a proxy, to see if I would get on with something like a 42mm PAM. Well lovely watch, but I don’t really wear it. Still helps to explain why I haven’t sold a steel sports watch on a bracelet and bought a PAM.
EB23EA47-B721-4885-8D1B-EDC54FDD5143.jpeg
22EE7340-8DFE-4400-B99B-4DF76ADC9348.jpeg
061B809B-BC39-4FBB-A637-4652C74D145C.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

^^^ wow, beautiful watches Neil, the Moser being my pick of the bunch. I've been an admirer of them for a while but unlikely to own one, the dial just shouts quality and depth!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I have 5 watches in my collection, but still have a collection within a collection. I consider it so anyway! They are my 2 CW GODO watches that get most of the wrist-time - the Sandstorm chronometer and the C63 auto white dial. A perfect pairing, and would be my collection of two should I ever be forced in that direction.

Edit : I truly hope I never get forced in that direction! :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

If I randomly apply a count of 5 or more for a collection within a collection, I can report a “sub-collection” of CWs, one of divers (no surprises there), one of GMTs / Worldtimers, one of chronographs & one of Bremonts.

I have been contemplating having a chronograph week, but perhaps this could be extended to a series of “collection weeks”.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

0uatiOW wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:44 pm I have been contemplating having a chronograph week, but perhaps this could be extended to a series of “collection weeks”.
That wouldn’t work for me, as I tend to single out a watch and wear it for several days, even up to a week at times.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

I'd not really considered that different lens way of looking at the collection, but there's definitely "the divers" (an overwhelming percentage of the collection!), "the Omegas" and "a pair of Halios Seaforths" being the only duplication.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Soporsche wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:49 pm ^^^ wow, beautiful watches Neil, the Moser being my pick of the bunch. I've been an admirer of them for a while but unlikely to own one, the dial just shouts quality and depth!
Thanks Stephen.

I bought it from another forum. One of those occasions of “buy the seller”. A longstanding reputable member, where I had previously seen the watch in his SOTC. The watch had previously been owned by other reputable members.

A few more pics to show the dial (the sculpting on the sides of the case and lugs are also a key feature for me). Not really a #GODO, but seen in a few different settings.

On the way to lunch (on the last time I sat on a train to London) :(
469B3C18-2D9F-44AA-B202-6FA808637197.jpeg
Risking it outdoors at the local duck pond :)
58651AE1-E0C5-40B7-B8B3-E7740C49D275.jpeg
A touring weekend :lol:
7F91317E-0C7F-427F-8992-E98A3A54C680.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

missF wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:42 pm
Edit : I truly hope I never get forced in that direction! :lol:
I also truly hope that is never the case for either of us!

While I'm here: Now Neil, you are saying that Moser had been flipped at least 3 times? Still getting my head around that. Their loss, your gain I guess. Pure Class. Enjoy in rude good health!
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

nbg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:36 am Thanks Stephen.

I bought it from another forum. One of those occasions of “buy the seller”. A longstanding reputable member, where I had previously seen the watch in his SOTC. The watch had previously been owned by other reputable members.

A few more pics to show the dial (the sculpting on the sides of the case and lugs are also a key feature for me). Not really a #GODO, but seen in a few different settings.

Neil
Spectacular Neil, good to see it out and about too. The case sculpting is a form of art on these, also the Fumé dials they are also known for are what really drew me to the brand initially, theres a great articleonline about thow they were developed (an accident).
'The Buy the Seller' point cant be underestimated, its just too tempting to chase a deal and I have been guilty of this over and over. It takes some discipline but makes a huge difference in the real quality of what you receive. Thankfully I have had a few great experiences of this recently (particularly Datejust for Mrs S and the incoming), it has really hammered it home to me, just took longer than it should!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands