Watches and politics

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Watches and politics

Post by Richard D »

‘Watches and politics’ in the same subject title, oil and water comes to mind.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Richard D wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:53 am ‘Watches and politics’ in the same subject title, oil and water comes to mind.
Well it would do. But the explanation given by the OP in his posts is that the thread isn’t actually about “watches and politics”...

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

strapline wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm Is there a link between the two? Perhaps it's not politics, more the approach to how you lead your life. How you view things in general.

What are your thoughts? And remember, it's just a bit of fun. :lol:
I've reiterated a number of times this post is not about politics, but it isn't being picked up by all. When I reply to a thread I always go back to the OP to make sure I've understood what the thread is about. In fairness I probably may a mistake putting the word politics in the subject header. You live and learn, eh.

D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

nbg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:11 am
Richard D wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:53 am ‘Watches and politics’ in the same subject title, oil and water comes to mind.
Well it would do. But the explanation given by the OP in his posts is that the thread isn’t actually about “watches and politics”...

Neil
First impression.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I thought this through and decided that this thread is going very much along the lines of “What does your watch say about you?” That has been done a few times before, but it’s always an interesting thread to revisit.

So my current watch buying, and to some extent my current collection, is based on a few simple notions: quality; looks; left-field character; function; size; avoidance of repetition.

Quality: speaks for itself. Back in the early days I used to hunt around, particularly the vintage watch shops looking for bargains. I don’t do that anymore, and I tend not to take too much notice of things like the Bargain Hunters’ Thread. As immortalised in the famous Downer’s Rules, it’s only a bargain if you wanted it in the first place. I’m probably something of a brand snob as well, deep down.

Looks: I prefer slightly dressy looks, even in what purports to be a tool watch. Although I have a couple of C70s, I tend to avoid colourful dials though I have a bit of a passion for blue ones. Red, green and orange wouldn’t get a look-in with me. So, heading towards safe looks, but not by any means ultra-safe.

Left-field character: difficult to define, but basically I’m less likely to be interested if it is something that everybody is wearing and/or clamouring for. My last two purchases have been a single-hander and a rather extraordinary GMT. I certainly have one watch that is pretty much universally popular on every platform I visit, in other words the Speedy Moonwatch. But it’s an icon so I don’t care. I try not to follow the herd.

Function: I have the odd piece with decent WR but in general I’m not a great fan of dive watches. Far too ubiquitous and therefore decidedly not left-field enough. Plus I don’t really like the look. My best WR at present is my single-hander, bought specifically as a holiday watch. I quite like chronographs and have three of those, and I quite like the GMT or world timer concept. Apart from that I tend to avoid toolish things, on the grounds that they might actually give people the impression that I enjoy doing jobs. I like watches that look happy strolling along a Mediterranean promenade at sunset! Basically I’m a lazy git and a bit of a sybarite.

Size: my perceptions have altered over the years, and I’m happy to wear what I might term medium-large watches, though 42 mm could be considered an absolute maximum for me and it has to be the right watch. Height is an issue and I prefer watches to be as slim as possible. That said, for the right watch I will make an exception, as long as it’s not a huge slab-sided case. As discussed in a recent thread, I quite like lighter watches, though three of my bracelet watches do weigh in at over 140 g.

Avoidance of repetition: I have been very careful in recent years to aim for a certain variety in my watch box. Apart from my four Christopher Wards (I have owned up to 8 at a time) I have tried to avoid brand repetition, and my “modern box” has one each of: Omega, Cartier, Ulysse Nardin, MeisterSinger and Orient. The watches themselves comprise: three chronographs; a retro style diver; a more traditional cheap diver; a single-hander with good WR; a fascinating and dressy GMT; a gold tone dress watch; and a dressy rectangular classic.

I’m perfectly happy for people to have boxes full of the same brand and the same style/colour if they wish. I just decided it wasn’t for me.

So what does my collection say about me? Exquisite taste, obviously. :lol: A liking for stylish things and a desire to be different, mitigated to some degree by a slightly cautious approach. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

"What does your watch say about you?" is where I would have to come down since I have no interest in politics anyway.

Half or so of my collection is geared towards working in an environment where I wear Hi-Viz clothing and steel-capped boots so a reasonably rugged and practical watch with decent WR is appropriate. Divers happen to have that covered pretty well so I have a few of those.
What I like best about what I do is the variety of tasks I get involved with. And variety is what I like my watch collection to have. And again since divers are popular of late, there are plenty to choose from.

I appreciate under-stated style and I like to use good quality things but I dislike extravagance. I also have an appreciation of historical connections and what we learn from them. I like to think I don't follow the herd, but I am not stubborn about it: sometimes the herd is right.
I think my watch collection reflects all of that.

In another way, we ARE the choices we make. When I choose a watch, am I looking in the mirror?
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Interesting, Chris, enjoyed your thoughts. You mention a 'dislike for extravagance', yet I think this hobby of ours often leads to extravagance. It obviously depends on person's definition of extravagance. To some, having more than one watch, full stop, would be an extravagance. To others, spending thousands on any mid to high end watch would be a total extravagance; a mobile phone or cheap watch is perfectly capable of doing the job.

Even though SCUBA diving occupied a good portion of my life, I only have one diver at present and, the more I think about it, that may not change. As my appreciation for watches increases, and as I learn more about this great hobby, I can see my tastes changing. As I get older I see me looking more at three hander-type- affairs with nice degrees of finishing. Trying to find that balance between smart and casual. In recent years I've enjoyed looking at and buying watches that are little off the beaten track. Looking for less tool-type watches may make me consider smaller case sizes. At present anything below 40mm seems tiny to me.

I think I see me becoming a little conservative in my tastes, my daring years are behind me. I don't think I'd probably ever venture beyond black, silver, white and blue where dial colours are concerned. I think I will always probably try to seek out watches that are a little different, that maybe don't have a cult following. I just think there's so much great choice out there in terms of manufacturers and models. Who knows which of the watches doing the rounds today might become icons/stars of the future? So, hidden away in what I've said, I see a bit of a liberal approach to my watch buying habits and tastes, but I think the more traditional/conservative is going to appeal over time. Time to start saving for that PP perpetual calendar. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

^^ ^^
I guess I should define my concept of "extravagance", Des.
For me it's the "just because you can" thing. If a PP perpetual calendar is something special to you, go right ahead, and you'll get no negative vibe from me. If you're just showing off then there is a frown coming your way.... :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.