The watch weigh-in

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

The watch weigh-in

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Two things got me thinking about this. Firstly, the unveiling last week of the new superlight C63 Sealander Elite. I am so impressed with that watch and can easily see one worming its way into my collection if and when Mr F sees fit to introduce a blue dial. [-o<

Secondly, one of the resident macho men on a different forum was sounding forth about the weight of watches, claiming specifically that large, heavy watches were de rigueur for real men who wanted to maintain a masculine appearance. When I told him that my Cartier Tank was listed as 59 g (it’s actually lighter), he went off on one, saying that it was effeminate rubbish basically. My honour was saved by a female member who said the Tank looked bloody sexy. Anyway, we agreed to differ.

So having a spare hour I thought I would weigh the various items in my watch box and see what sort of range I had. It has never occurred to me to do this before, even though I have a nice small digital kitchen scale.

I know that, on bracelet, the C60 GMT I once had came in at around 200 g. I’m sure that is by far the heaviest watch I have ever had, and it certainly did feel heavy – walking around with the better part of half a pound of watch on your arm!

Here goes. Watches on bracelets first, because they are obviously heavier:

Speedmaster 148; C65 TD 148; Ulysse Nardin 142

Watches on straps:

Orient Mako 99; DBR1 92; C70 Ascari COSC 87; Eterna Kon-Tiki 20 79; MeisterSinger Metris 73; C5 Mk1 71; Cartier Tank 56.

The Eterna (bit of a 70s lump, in a nice way) is the only vintage that comes in over 50g. The others range from 26 to 42.

So two questions. Firstly, do you prefer lighter or heavier watches? Secondly, what do you think (or know) are your lightest and heaviest watches?

For me, the three on bracelets are all very comfortable, though if they were much heavier they probably wouldn’t be. And at the other end of the scale, I really don’t mind how light they are. One of the delights of the Tank is that once it slips under a cuff you are pretty much unaware of its presence. One of my grails is the Piaget Altiplano and I don’t imagine there’s much weight in that one! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: The watch weigh-in

Post by gannet »

Heavy watches to me just end up annoying me, especially in hotter weather.

My trident is on the heavy side for me...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

I never look at the weight of a watch when buying and to be honest I really cannot perceive a physical effect when wearing a light watch versus a heavy watch - I seem to be desensitised from the actual weight. I have some 70s watches where their weight would be measured in feathers and some really heavy watches (my DSDB weighs about 7kg!!) and I would have to look under my cuff to remember which I have on!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Where bracelet watches are concerned I am minded of Goldilocks, preferring something that is neither too light or too heavy. Just right does it for me. :)

Ideally in the region of 115g-155g. Albeit at the heavy end of the scale, balance is key. Probably the reason why I no longer wear my Speedmaster on its bracelet. I just can’t get it to sit and stay where it should on the bracelet.

Yes I did already have a list of the weights of my most worn and favourites (and of a few others, which reminds me why they are not in the most worn or favourite category). :shock:

Keeping it to the #GODO watches that I put in my recent SOTC thread:

All on their Bracelet
DJ - 90g
Exp - 103g
Exp II - 119g
SPB197J1 - 138g
GS - 143g
MG - 153g

I don’t think it’s necessarily just the weight of the watch that may put me off - more so the size.

I don’t pay much attention to the weight on a strap, although it is noticeable that they tend to be a lot lighter than on a bracelet. My heaviest on a strap watch is a Reverso at 131g.

Asking for a friend - is your macho man on the other forum one of those small or average wristed folks, who labour under the misapprehension that wearing a big watch makes their wrist look larger; when the reality is quite the opposite... :problem:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 pm Asking for a friend - is your macho man on the other forum one of those small or average wristed folks, who labour under the misapprehension that wearing a big watch makes their wrist look larger; when the reality is quite the opposite... :problem:
I wouldn’t know, Neil – I can’t recall seeing any wrist shots, but I wouldn’t be surprised! I don’t think I’ve ever quite come across anyone on a forum quite so obsessed with his own masculinity.

I’m quite surprised by how light your Rolexes on bracelets are.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:30 pm
nbg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 pm Asking for a friend - is your macho man on the other forum one of those small or average wristed folks, who labour under the misapprehension that wearing a big watch makes their wrist look larger; when the reality is quite the opposite... :problem:
I wouldn’t know, Neil – I can’t recall seeing any wrist shots, but I wouldn’t be surprised! I don’t think I’ve ever quite come across anyone on a forum quite so obsessed with his own masculinity.
Good grief...you don't half get 'em :roll:
Sounds to me like someone that needs to make a statement to make up/compensate for the size of their manhood :loser:
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

Umm, not an issue i have considered in the past. I am now going to have to get the bathroom scales out and weigh my self with different watches just too see if they really do make a difference. I have a couple of 50mm Beasts, but never considered them heavy, and i am a 12 stone weakling wet through LOL something to while aaway the quiet hours :lol:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Well my heaviest by some margin is my Aquatimer which weighs in at 150g on its lightweight rubber strap. When the bracelet I’ve ordered for it arrives it will weigh as much as a small child.

My other bracelet watches and my Bremont Alt1 ZT on leather all weigh in around the 125g mark, give or take.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I have never considered weight until you raised it Steve, to me the dimension most important is lug to lug:height which I prefer to be over 4:1. Interestingly, on a bracelet that doesn't seem so noticeable as I tend to wear a little tighter so the watch sits lower, "into" the wrist. Of course, I do have some (eg G-Shock) where that is out of the window.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
downer

Post by downer »

I reckon my heavyweight champ is my PO at 178g, although the new-kid Sinn UX may give it a run for its money but I have not got around to weighing it. My lightest watch will be the C63 Elite when it arrives.

Initally, the PO feels heavy but after a few minutes it's not any kind of issue because it is very well balanced and sits well on my wrist. My Speedmaster is not so great on the comfort front (if I'm being very picky) as it tends to slide around. I sometimes wonder if exhibition case backs cause more slide?
Richard
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just one. I was surprised by the lightness of an eterna dress watch I have. It's on a bracelet but feels so light. Other than that, I can't say I have been surprised by the weight of a watch.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Definitely the heaviest I have is the C40 Speedhawk on a bracelet. It weighs in at 210g.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

downer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 pm Initally, the PO feels heavy but after a few minutes it's not any kind of issue because it is very well balanced and sits well on my wrist. My Speedmaster is not so great on the comfort front (if I'm being very picky) as it tends to slide around. I sometimes wonder if exhibition case backs cause more slide?
this is the key to me. i can go from a pretty heavy watch (the U1 on a bracelet) to a small vintage watch (seawolf or omega deville) without worrying about weight. but some watches just sit top-heavy and that bothers me far more than the actual weight. i know some people will only wear the U1 on a nato because they feel like it rides better on the wrist that way.
the "g" is for Greg...
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

A good fit makes all the difference that’s for sure. I think my doxa weighs in at around 1/4 ton but because the bracelet is so good it’s still quite comfortable. That said the lighter and slimmer the watch is the better as far as I am concerned
Hence I have ordered the new elite. It ticks damn near every box for me and if you compare it with the market and I have it looks exceptional value. I also love the crown technology used.
A big heavy watch that you are constantly aware of does nothing for me. Give me an altiplano over a zombie basher anytime
Cheers now, Paul
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I had my C60 Lympstone on this morning, and found it felt heavy. This has been since wearing the Tudor BB58.
I'm now wondering, how the Sealander elite may feel, I imagine very comfortable.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39