Hack for bezel insert removal

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Hack for bezel insert removal

Post by Bident »

This past November, I purchased a "beater" watch from Long Island Watch, an online retailer here in the USA, primarily to try my hand at regulating. Marc Frankel, the founder of LIW has earned a well deserved reputation for outstanding customer service. My watch, the ISL-03, is one of many Seiko SKX homages Marc makes, and featured a ceramic, lumed bezel insert. Last month I noticed some of the lume on the bezel's numerals were flaking off. I emailed Marc last week as the problem continued to get worse, and he not only said he would send me a new replacement, but when I asked for an upgrade to the sapphire version (which won't have any risk of lume rubbing off) along with payment for whatever the cost difference might be, he simply said he would send me the sapphire insert at no additional charge. Three days later, I received the new insert.

Old bezel with flaking numbers (easiest to see flaking at 30 to 40 minute markers on bezel):
IMG_6431.jpeg
New sapphire bezel:
IMG_6983.jpeg
IMG_6987.jpeg

In addition to operating his online retail site, Marc makes YouTube videos on the watches he makes and sells, and also has a series entitled "Watch & Learn" where he demonstrates all things watch related, including modding. I had never replaced a bezel insert before, but knew the basics from watching Marc and others on YouTube over the years. Late last year, Marc posted a new Watch & Learn video on an exceptionally easy way to remove a bezel insert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zDht9pl5U

Well, it could not have been easier. I recommend this method to anyone who would like to change their bezel insert. Dynacraft Golf Grip solvent is indeed odorless, says it's non-toxic, and is reusable. I simply poured the solution I used back in the bottle with a funnel.
IMG_6980.jpeg
And...the finished product:
IMG_7008.jpeg
IMG_7027.jpeg
Best regards,
John
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Hack for bezel insert removal

Post by JAFO »

That's super lume on your new bezel :D

Can you advise what you used to stick the new bezel back with please?

I have a bezel I need to replace. I actual used some nail polish remover to get the old one out, (used by Dan Dodson on "watch me with watches"), but I haven't got an adhesive sticky tape ring, and I can't see the right size on eBay. 37.5mm. I do have some hypo cement I could use.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Hack for bezel insert removal

Post by Bident »

JAFO wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:25 am That's super lume on your new bezel :D

Can you advise what you used to stick the new bezel back with please?

I have a bezel I need to replace. I actual used some nail polish remover to get the old one out, (used by Dan Dodson on "watch me with watches"), but I haven't got an adhesive sticky tape ring, and I can't see the right size on eBay. 37.5mm. I do have some hypo cement I could use.
The new bezel insert came with a double sided, circular shaped tape (3M brand) that fit the bezel insert perfectly. I'm not sure if Long Island Watch sells it separately as a search on their website yielded nothing, but perhaps Amazon?
Best regards,
John