Second Hand for 50 Grand - TV Programme

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Second Hand for 50 Grand - TV Programme

Post by JAFO »

Another watch and handbag show on 5 last night featuring Xupes, who sell on eBay. I bought a watch from them on eBay, terrific experience. One of the watches they bought was a Rolex Daytona Paul Newman. I don't know if it's the same watch, but there's one on eBay now at just under £250k. Interesting programme. Their watchmaker is a 26 year oldy lady, amazingly.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Second Hand for 50 Grand - TV Programme

Post by Thegreyman »

I happened to chance upon that programme too, it seemed to be an almost identical show to the million pound pawnbroker show on itv recently that only ran for 3 episodes.

There was also the Welsh lad who inherited his grandad’s Rolex. Just a working class guy who bought it back in 1963 and worn it regularly. Turned out it was a rare Explorer dialled Sub and was worth about £150k.

The show featured Xupes which is a business dealing in 2nd hand luxury items. It rings a bell, I may have seen their website in the past.

It’s on Channel 4 so would be on catch up I imagine if anyone wants to watch.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I really do struggle to see how easy these watches are to sell for these vast prices. They were ready to reject the Welsh watch as not genuine until they came across references to the misprinted "L" - then all of a sudden it was worth a fortune. It still looked like an old well-worm watch to me.

I am not sure if the Daytona on eBay is the same watch or a different one, but it's priced at just under £250K. Seriously, how many buyers are in the market to pay that sort of money for that watch. It becomes more and more like the art world, doesn't it?

Having said that, you watch programmes like this and wonder whether there is an point in buying anything other than a Rolex, if a Rolex comes with guaranteed value increases. Why buy any other watch that in 10 years time has depreciated to such an extent it's hardly worth having it serviced, when you could have bought a Rolex and it's supposedly worth twice as much as you paid for it, or even more. (with the advantage of 20-20 hindsight). It's rather like Archie Luxury was right in being dismissive of pretty well most wristwatches. And even he got out of Rolex and into PP at seemingly the wrong time, unless it's all part of his method acting performance.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 am
There was also the Welsh lad who inherited his grandad’s Rolex. Just a working class guy who bought it back in 1963 and worn it regularly. Turned out it was a rare Explorer dialled Sub and was worth about £150k.
One just sold at Sotheby's for £327,600 :shock:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction ... less-steel

Granted it was in what looked to be excellent condition.

There are a few COMEX submariners coming up at Christy's and Sotheby's in the next week or so. Will be interesting to see what they go for.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

JAFO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:23 am I really do struggle to see how easy these watches are to sell for these vast prices. They were ready to reject the Welsh watch as not genuine until they came across references to the misprinted "L" - then all of a sudden it was worth a fortune. It still looked like an old well-worm watch to me.
Easy. It’s all about rarity and originality that has not been messed about and touched up. Everything has to match up with what is known about watches from a particular batch of reference numbers, that date the time of production. That there are so many variations of dials and bezel inserts over the life cycle of a particular model is because IIRC, at the time these valuable vintage models were produced Rolex didn’t always produce the dials and inserts in house, therefore leading to variations of the style of printing.

The danger is that the unwary can end up buying something, that an expert subsequently checks outs and breaks the bad news that it’s value is say only 50% or 10% of the amount paid.
JAFO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:23 am I am not sure if the Daytona on eBay is the same watch or a different one, but it's priced at just under £250K. Seriously, how many buyers are in the market to pay that sort of money for that watch. It becomes more and more like the art world, doesn't it?
There are at least three on another forum that I am a member of. They are experts on vintage Rolex. I imagine that worldwide there is only a small pool of such folk, with the expertise to correctly identify what is before them, sometimes buying for their own collections, but also (as in the art world) buying on behalf of clients who are seriously rich and don’t know what to do with their money.
JAFO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:23 am
Having said that, you watch programmes like this and wonder whether there is an point in buying anything other than a Rolex, if a Rolex comes with guaranteed value increases. Why buy any other watch that in 10 years time has depreciated to such an extent it's hardly worth having it serviced, when you could have bought a Rolex and it's supposedly worth twice as much as you paid for it, or even more. (with the advantage of 20-20 hindsight). It's rather like Archie Luxury was right in being dismissive of pretty well most wristwatches. And even he got out of Rolex and into PP at seemingly the wrong time, unless it's all part of his method acting performance.
Anything is worth what someone will pay for it. However there is a world of difference between what drives the collector market for specific vintage Rolex and what drives the market for current (or recently discontinued) Rolex models that are produced in large numbers.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Interesting comments, all. Thanks for the detailed responses.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I live in a completely different world....not sure if it’s real life or just one of those so called reality tv programs that are all made up for tv that I’ve heard about :lol: one thing I know is I’ve had a look at their website a few times before but won’t be bothering anyone :thumbdown: