Thoughts on microbrands

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Thoughts on microbrands

Post by ajax87 »

^^^Very well said, Des. I do want to touch on one of your points...
strapline wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 pmI do not feel the need to think that a version of my watch went to the moon, that Brad Pitt wears it, or that the brands logo is displayed on Formula 1 cars etc. None of these type of baubles increase the pleasure of my wearing my watch or, more importantly, in choosing to buy it.
This might be my Omega fanboy-ness talking, but I wouldn’t place the Brad Pitt or F1 car branding anywhere near the same plane as the moonwatch thing. Yes Omega uses it as marketing similar to the others, but it is also a very important and cool piece of history. Something no micro brand can offer.

I have one micro brand watch, a Shinola, which offers a good vfm in my opinion with great specs. Furthermore, I’m supporting a small business local to me, which makes me happy.

I have another pre-ordered (an RZE) which appears to absolutely knock it out of the park spec-wise for the money. We shall see how the quality feels once I take delivery here in a month or two :)

I’ve also found with these two micro brands that their customer service is much better and feels more warm and friendly than any other brand I’ve dealt with.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:13 pm ^^^Very well said, Des. I do want to touch on one of your points...
strapline wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 pmI do not feel the need to think that a version of my watch went to the moon, that Brad Pitt wears it, or that the brands logo is displayed on Formula 1 cars etc. None of these type of baubles increase the pleasure of my wearing my watch or, more importantly, in choosing to buy it.
This might be my Omega fanboy-ness talking, but I wouldn’t place the Brad Pitt or F1 car branding anywhere near the same plane as the moonwatch thing. Yes Omega uses it as marketing similar to the others, but it is also a very important and cool piece of history. Something no micro brand can offer.
No problem, Alex. And of course, it's some of these achievements over time that give certain brands their heritage. I like the idea of a bit of heritage myself; I also like a lot of what some of the older, more established watch brands have to offer. But, heritage aside, some of the better microbrands are doing really good stuff. And, with a lot of these smaller companies your money often goes a lot further. I also like the fact that you can get a lot closer to the individuals that may have designed or made your timepiece.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:13 pm This might be my Omega fanboy-ness talking, but I wouldn’t place the Brad Pitt or F1 car branding anywhere near the same plane as the moonwatch thing. Yes Omega uses it as marketing similar to the others, but it is also a very important and cool piece of history. Something no micro brand can offer.
+1 to this. However, I'm not an Omega fanboy. ATs, POs and the hundreds of special edition SMs don't interest me all that much.

As well as being a watch enthusiast...I'm a complete Apollo fanboy, and totally happy to own the nearest thing I'll ever get to a piece of kit that went up there! :thumbup:

It's so cool it's got frost in its knickers! 8)

Oh, and I wouldn't mind the Walter Schirra FOIS as well!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

strapline wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:47 pm
No problem, Alex. And of course, it's some of these achievements over time that give certain brands their heritage. I like the idea of a bit of heritage myself; I also like a lot of what some of the older, more established watch brands have to offer. But, heritage aside, some of the better microbrands are doing really good stuff. And, with a lot of these smaller companies your money often goes a lot further. I also like the fact that you can get a lot closer to the individuals that may have designed or made your timepiece.
100%, you definitely pay for that heritage. And you’re right on the last point; I was pleasantly surprised when I contacted RZE about my order recently, the owner Travis responded to me almost immediately.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:49 pm Oh, and I wouldn't mind the Walter Schirra FOIS as well!
I like that one, but I’m more of a first watch worn on the moon speedy pro handset kind of guy!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Good conversation and thoughts around this..
I should clarify that I'm not a magpie and do qualify my potential purchases extensively before making a decision. However, I have consistently experienced less joy than anticipated in my microbrand watches after the honeymoon period than some of my 'established brand' watches. Its not about Brad, Mr Beckham, or $XXXm marketing budgets. Aesthetic, quality and association with history, Motorsport, Automotive history do frequently tickle my watch fancy.

History/heritage must play a part for me and many others who obsessively strap historical obsolete tech to our wrists, its clearly an individual emotional decision.
If you put 2 absolutely identical watches next to each other (case, dial, movement, materials, finish, manufacture facility, location) but one was logo'd from new company 'V9 watches' of Switzerland at £800 and the other was historic watchmaker 'BigSwissBrand' at £1200, I would nearly always select the brand with the history/story/heritage... to many this would seem ridiculous for essentially the same item but the sum of components can make a different whole.
Big exception would be CW, no long history, heritage story etc and I currently own 11 so maybe they excel at the quality part of the emotional equation.. I do also have a couple of new/startup/microbrand watches that are long term keepers.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

+1 to this. However, I'm not an Omega fanboy. ATs, POs and the hundreds of special edition SMs don't interest me all that much.

^^^Well said Steve, and as much as I am enjoying my new AT, I don't consider myself an Omega fanboy. I do however give them major props for sticking with the development and ultimate commercialization of the CoAxial movement. It took years to get it to the point it is now, and they stuck with it until they got it right.
I do however, consider myself a huge fanboy of the late George Daniels, so owning a co axial movement will most likely be the closest I will ever get to one of his masterpieces.Who says a micro brand has to be inexpensive. :lol:
In keeping with the thread title....
20200101_032246.jpg
20191231_202511.jpg
Screenshot_20191226-212800_Chrome.jpg
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
Gar787
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

strapline wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 pm What I'm describing is the polar opposite our old notion of watches and the 'watch experience'. Up until 25yrs or so ago if you looked in any watch shop window in the world you saw the same limited number of players. With the advent of the internet that notion has been shaken up completely. I personally think this has been a good thing because, if nothing else, it has given us choice. I think the old notion of watch manufacturing and retailing is a little tired - a bit like some of its output. I also think that without the challenge posed by a competitive market place some of these big brands had got too used to having things their own way.
I enjoyed reading your post, Des. This paragraph certainly struck a chord with me. I still think that, depending on where you go, shopping for watches in the High Street or the shopping mall can be a relatively dismal experience. A countrywide retailer such as Goldsmiths, for example, will not have the same ranges and brands in all of its stores. Here in Norwich you can’t get an Omega or a Rolex, their so-called top brands are Tag Heuer and Longines. We only have one independent where you can buy Omega or Rolex. You can’t buy Cartier anywhere in Norfolk AFAIK. And towards the more “affordable” end of the market, you just get rows and rows of the Usual Suspects. The watches for people with no interest in watches. It’s grim.

So whilst I have not taken the plunge with micro brands, given that we are not calling CW a micro, I do applaud what is going on out there. It all helps towards the democratisation of nice, interesting, quality watches as opposed to the usual herd-fodder available on the High Street or in the mall.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia

watchaholic wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:05 pm I do however, consider myself a huge fanboy of the late George Daniels, so owning a co axial movement will most likely be the closest I will ever get to one of his masterpieces.Who says a micro brand has to be inexpensive. :lol:
Ye Gods and little fishes! I thought for a moment there that you were showing us your birthday presents! :lol:
Steve

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Unfortunately...... I married for love not money ](*,)
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:10 pm I enjoyed reading your post, Des. This paragraph certainly struck a chord with me. I still think that, depending on where you go, shopping for watches in the High Street or the shopping mall can be a relatively dismal experience. A countrywide retailer such as Goldsmiths, for example, will not have the same ranges and brands in all of its stores. Here in Norwich you can’t get an Omega or a Rolex, their so-called top brands are Tag Heuer and Longines. We only have one independent where you can buy Omega or Rolex. You can’t buy Cartier anywhere in Norfolk AFAIK. And towards the more “affordable” end of the market, you just get rows and rows of the Usual Suspects. The watches for people with no interest in watches. It’s grim.

So whilst I have not taken the plunge with micro brands, given that we are not calling CW a micro, I do applaud what is going on out there. It all helps towards the democratisation of nice, interesting, quality watches as opposed to the usual herd-fodder available on the High Street or in the mall.
Thanks Steve, it had me tapping away for ages on the ol' computer this morning. Like I said, I very much welcome the mantle that the 'better' microbrands will take up in the future. But I also know there will be room in my watch box for a little heritage along the way.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I found it extremely interesting reading the latest posts which prompted me to look at my collection to see what I had in the way of micro-brands...
CW apart, I have 2 from Newmark, 2 from Zero West, 2 from PINION and 1 from Marloe, all of which, I have been extremely happy with the quality and finish of the product and super impressed with the Customer Service.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'll come back to the core question of the thread later, as I have several 'Microbrand' watches in my collection, but I thought this article posted by WatchGecko today is topical and offers an interesting insight into Microbrands;-

The best Microbrand watches & ones to watch

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Apologies if this is a little specific, but its been mentioned on here by a few people and I know others have backed it, but has anyone heard from Nardi recently...???

Im not on social media so I dont get updates, but ive had all emails ignored. Ive also been contacted by a pal who has contacted his bank to get the money back as people have reported this now as a fraudulent company???

Im praying its not, but if anyone has any update or thoughts, that'd be great. Im getting a little worried.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Lindsey, I’ve bought many micro-brands over the years and in the cast majority of cases have been very happy, and in some cases pleasantly surprised with them.

My first micro brand was probably the second watch I ever owned - I was 12 or 13 at the time. A friend of my dad “manufactured” watches under the name of Rolma, which was later changed to Adina. They were for the large part, forgettable, but they used decent enough movements in their own cases and dials, with (I think) generic handsets, bracelets and crowns. They’re still around, now run by a son or grandson perhaps.

The point is, microbrands are not a new phenomenon. There have been small, low volume manufacturers around for a long time, dating back to the 19th century, they just didn’t have the easy opportunities for worldwide marketing that the internet provides, so were often only locally known, or at best nationwide. I guess you could also say that all of today’s major players started out as microbrands in their early days. It’s just that back then, they were simply known as watchmakers.

Many of the micro brands, both past and present, were/are built to a price. Some were not. The latter are the ones to look at if you want a watch the you’ll own for more than a few months.

The Summiteer you’ve bought (I think) fits more into the latter category Lindsey. They have purpose built cases and bracelets that both offer hardened materials as standard, so they should continue to look good for much longer. Traska have evolved their designs since they started out and if the first Traska watch I bought (the Freediver) had the same hands as the current model, I’d probably still own it. The movements are all variations on the Miyota 9015; parts are plentiful and the movement is widely serviceable.

I still own a number of the micro brands I’ve bought into - Visitor, DiRenzo and Halios are all examples that come to mind and all have quality manufacturing and/or original design. The DiRenzos are even certified as Swiss Made and are beautiful watches.

Hopefully the Summiteer will live up to the hype for you....
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I welcome the microbrands to the table, and have bought a few of them over the years. All are still working, and I believe all the brands are still operating. There are so many interesting designs out there thanks to the micros. Lately, though, it feels like many microbrands fear being left out if they don’t offer a diver - that’s getting a touch boring.

One concern that does not logically resonate for me is the warranty worry. If the watches are using off the shelf movements generally those movements are durable. If the brand goes under, the movements are still easily serviced because they are commonly available. And how many microbrands offer really long warranty terms anyway? What else in the watch would be a warranty concern besides the movement such that any local jeweler would not work on the watch? Money is precious and not many would willingly throw it away but that warranty concern is not a concern in my view.

I think most of my 30 or so watches are either CW or other microbrands. I’ve experienced lower priced and higher priced watches and find something to like about them all. My newest micro in hand is a Vario Empire; my priciest micro might be my Ming 17.03. I’m looking at several others for something unique to their designs.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair