Thoughts on microbrands

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Thoughts on microbrands

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:22 am There are so many interesting designs out there thanks to the micros. Lately, though, it feels like many microbrands fear being left out if they don’t offer a diver - that’s getting a touch boring.
If you think about the choices that were available to the average watch buyer a few decades ago, and what is available now, the difference is remarkable. Sub 35mm watches (what we would call vintage dress watches nowadays, but they didn’t back then) dominated the market, rather in the way that dive watches appear to have risen more and more to the surface (excuse the pun) in the last couple of decades. Some famous brands have preserved their heritage and reputation by NOT being overly innovative in the stylistic department, nevertheless they have done considerable work on the technological aspects.

It must be quite hard these days to do something really original, and some of the most interesting designs I have seen recently (on this forum, I might add) are by ZeroWest. Another brand that has created some eye-catching designs is Visitor, though I have to say that their designs, particularly for the hands, are a bit jarring to my mind.

But as you say, there are brands who seem to feel they have to produce either a generic diver or a generic dress watch in the style of Daniel Wellington. The market, as you suggest, is probably getting a bit flooded by them. Probably what provokes my typical reaction of: “Yeah…right…diver…next!”

I know I have said this before (sorry) but one thing that does bother me slightly – I’m not sure why - is the apparent lack of longevity in models and ranges from a lot of brands (including CW). Some of the classic designs from the great houses still look as fresh today as they did decades ago, and I suspect they will continue to do so when a lot of the current Here–Today–Gone–Tomorrow designs have been long forgotten.

I have rambled on a bit here, but I think what I mean to say is that Microbrands are fine, possibly for the here and now, but tastes change overnight these days in a way that they would not have, and could not have before the 1990s and the advent of the Internet. Just a personal view, but if I want something with lasting appeal I will probably continue to look towards historic brands and classic designs.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)