Purchase From Northern Ireland

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Purchase From Northern Ireland

Post by JAFO »

Not a watch - some stationery.

I just bought some stationery on ebay. The description said Ireland, UK - so I assumed NI. Anyway it was the cheapest I could see. It arrived today, and I went to leave some feedback - but I then realised that within the price ebay had added VAT to the purchase, as they do when I buy from China. I have asked the vendor if they are in NI or the republic, but I assume from this that NI counts as being still part of the EU for VAT purposes.

Is that right. Maybe the vendor just shows a net price knowing that ebay will add on VAT.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Purchase From Northern Ireland

Post by 0uatiOW »

NI is part of the UK, so if the seller is in NI most probably you’re simply paying UK VAT.

The lower price you see is probably their export price for sales outside the UK.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Purchase From Northern Ireland

Post by JAFO »

It turns out the company is in Dublin, but have a warehouse in England, and they shipped from there. I think eBay were a bit misleading calling the location Ireland, UK. Anyway, eBay charge me the vat on behalf of the EU vendor, and that's what they do with Chinese imports.

Still the cheapest price for what I ordered.

It's stopped me buying cheap stuff from Ali Express, as I am pretty sure that UK customs would charge VAT plus the £8 handling fee, which is just pointless for stuff that only costs a few pounds.