A day being surprised by watches - Part 2

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

A day being surprised by watches - Part 2

Post by Noush »

Back in to the city today. Purpose: to get to the bottom of the mechanical chronograph subject discussed elsewhere.
In the first "instalment" I concluded with the bombshell that the Tudor BB58 Black was an excellent watch but not MY excellent watch.
So, has a "collection replacement" been identified? Yes. Patience, my Grasshoppers. Guesses will not be responded to :)

Anyhow, the name of this game was to somehow find a Moon-watch substitute for significantly less money that somehow maintained that Quality Toolwatch character but had its own identity. Prime candidate: Longines Avigation Bigeye in original award-winning black dial. Had to be tried on-wrist as, by the numbers, it is marginal for my skinny wrist. No avoiding that a 7753 modded specially for Longines by ETA with column wheel/vertical clutch and 66hr PR doesn't make for a small watch. And just the kind of movement I was looking for.
Turns out not a problem, absolutely FINE on-wrist. And that legible but eccentric Bigeye is balanced beautifully by those big pushers that are a tactile wonder. Loved it, even more so than the Moon-watch, honestly. L688.2 is not a match for a 3861 for sure, but at 40% of the price, SORTED.
They also had the new petrol blue titanium version- lighter, prettier, silicon balance spring (L688.5) with upgrade to 5 year warranty. But it's 28% dearer and I preferred the tooly-er (is that even a word?) vibe of the black one.

While I am in the Longines Boutique, I ask have they a Heritage Classic sector dial watch to try? Yes they did. I have bemoaned elsewhere here about the cross-hair line running "through" the Longines at the 12. Something you can't un-see? On wrist, insignificant. Freaking Fabulous watch.

Back to the Omega Boutique I visited last time. I had been more than impressed with the 41mm AT silver-white dial with orange accents last time. I still am. I wanted to look more at other colour ways in a new context this time. But you know what? It's in the same "GADA that dresses up nice" user-space as my Formex Essence 39 and for me doesn't really offer more than that watch apart from its stellar movement. And I already own the Formex.
Whilst there I had to try a 300M or two. Lovely watch but this one is just a bit too big for me. And for my fingers the grip on the bezel kinda awkward.

Last stop. JLC Boutique. My grail brand, Watchmaker's Watchmaker, The Great House, all that stuff. Tried a Reverso, a Master Collection Calendar, a Polaris. Couldn't get excited, not for the money anyway. Perhaps there is a pattern here? Last stop brings "disappointment"? Was I expecting too much?Dunno.

I hope folks enjoy again this watch adventure story. And especially for those dealing with lock-downs and the like something to go with until your own adventures re-commence.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: A day being surprised by watches - Part 2

Post by Lavaine »

L688.2 is not a match for a 3861 for sure, but at 40% of the price, SORTED.
Don't undersell the L6888 movement. Whether automatic or hand winding is better is an argument for the ages, but a column wheel is unquestionably superior to a cam actuated chronograph. The fact that Longines has fitted it to a watch at this price point is nothing short of great value.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.