Today's Battery Changes

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Today's Battery Changes

Post by JAFO »

So today, I visited my local market, to get a battery changed. I just hadn't been able to shift the case back at all - I watched the expert, and he had a tool similar to a case press, that unscrewed the case back, rather than a Jaxa. He obviously put it back on tight as well, as I still can't shift it. I intended to use this watch when @MissF suggested we wore inexpensive watches for a while - but I couldn't as it wasn't running. So it's running now. It's also now on a CW camel strap, which goes very well, replacing a cheaper watch gecko strap. This watch was the one that helped me appreciate how well brown straps go with blue watches.

Then this afternoon I decided to try to change some batteries on my wife's watches. So frustrating. Very hard to get snap-on casebacks off. One came off with a case knife, but 3 needed a jewellers screwdriver, and a lot of pressure. Fortunately, I had all the right batteries. Then I could only snap one case back on by hand, and I had to use a case press for the other three, I thought I had damaged one of the crystals, but after a very close inspection, it appeared there was an unremoved film on the front - so in the end a successful result.

Here's the blue watch anyway.
Roatary1.jpg
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Today's Battery Changes

Post by H0rati0 »

The right tools make all the difference. Trying to do the job with improvisation usually turns out more expensive (damages) than investing in the correct tool, or going to a professional. No shame in admitting you are not equipped 8)
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I've got the tools, but not the knack and sufficient experience with them yet. Anyway these weren't expensive watches, so good practice.

I just can't move that screw in case back with a Jaxa wrench though. I can some. The watch guy must have screwed them in very tightly with his jig. And those jigs are rather more expensive than a Jaxa wrench.

I don't think I will be taking a mechanical movement apart any time soon though. Changing a battery is about the limit.

Mind you, I do have a quartz that needs a new movement so that would be a new movement, a hand lifter tool, and a hand setter tool, and swap the dial on to the new movement. I might try that.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

JAFO wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 pm I watched the expert, and he had a tool similar to a case press, that unscrewed the case back, rather than a Jaxa.

Roatary1.jpg
Did it look like this? Best case tool I ever invested in. Of course this is overkill for most, but over the years it has paid for itself many times over.

Watch case opener.jpg
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

JAFO wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 pm I've got the tools, but not the knack and sufficient experience with them yet. Anyway these weren't expensive watches, so good practice.
There are tools and there are tools. If you can't move that case back then I would suggest you do not have the right tools. Of course, investing in the right tools may make no sense when you use them only occasionally.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@kip

Yes. That was the sort of thing the professional chap had. I saw some like this on eBay but wasn't completely sure it was the right tool, and it would be a lot to spend on the right tool, and even worse if it wasn't the right tool. It certainly turned the case back with no difficulty.