In the Spring a young man’s fancy...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

In the Spring a young man’s fancy...

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

...lightly turns to thoughts of...

...WATCHES?! :megaeek:

It always seems to be around this time of year. Somewhere between March and May my wallet begins to itch and a distinctive little voice in my head says “You need to buy a watch!”

Last year I sold a few and I only bought one – my MeisterSinger. It almost didn’t survive the winter; I wasn’t in a very good place for a while and I couldn’t get on with it. I needed to see time moving rather than standing still. However, we are heading rapidly towards summer, the sun is shining (at least today), the days are getting longer and might even start to get warmer at some point! It is back on the wrist with a vengeance, and I am loving it. It’s almost a year since I bought it, and I hadn’t bought any watches for 18 months prior to that.

I’m not really sure I want to sell anything at the moment, and I’m not 100% sure what I really want to add to my collection. I have been experiencing an urge to revisit Nomos; I had a lovely Tangente for a few years and rather stupidly sold it when I bought my Cartier Tank. On the other hand I might take a look at the new releases that are likely to be coming up at some point from CW and see whether or not one of those takes my fancy.

Of course, I may do nothing at all. But I do have this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that I ought to be buying a watch. :lol:

It probably won’t be over 40 mm in diameter and it almost certainly won’t be a diver or a flieger type watch. I don’t think it will be a chronograph either. And I’m not keen on military. Something simple, perhaps a bit left field, not necessarily dressy, something of an all-round watch. Preferably slim and light, and certainly good quality. Budget is not a particular consideration, though I probably wouldn’t want to go over £2k.

Dials? White on white is a no-no, though a white dial with suitably contrasting hands is a possibility. I like blue dials, as you know, but I already have a few of those. No green, orange or red, please.

Play Mystic Meg. Bat it around. A lot of you old lags know the kind of thing I’m into. I don’t normally approve of these “Help me choose my next watch” threads, but just for a change...
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: In the Spring a young man’s fancy...

Post by timor54 »

Still looking for gold with black dial?
8E7BA307-FE3E-46C1-96DF-DA4ED8D01270.jpeg
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ thanks for the suggestion, Tim but I’m not enamoured. I think I’ve gone off the gold/black idea anyway, but that cities ring would have me going insane – I just don’t understand it at all.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

It was a slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion.

Yet, 40mm titanium case, solar powered, radio sync’d world time with perpetual calendar; all for c. £300. What’s not to like :lol:
Tim
downer

Post by downer »

As I know you like a good statistic I thought I'd have a look at my own acquisitions - to see if I am also inclined to Spring purchases...

Screenshot 2021-04-16 154134.jpg

Apparently not - although May is a danger month.

As for a suggestion, I still wonder if your Meistersinger will cut the mustard as a true traveller, so perhaps a GMT of some sort?
Richard
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Some variations of this are quite nice, maybe a little dressy or the 38.5 mm Omega AT.
Tudor-Glamour-Double-Date-Automatic-Mens-Watch-M57100-0001-42-mm-Silver-Dial.jpeg
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

Soporsche wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:04 pm Some variations of this are quite nice, maybe a little dressy or the 38.5 mm Omega AT.
Thank you, Stephen. That is probably the nicest looking Tudor I have ever seen – would certainly bear looking at.

Edit: too big for a dressy watch.
downer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 pm As for a suggestion, I still wonder if your Meistersinger will cut the mustard as a true traveller, so perhaps a GMT of some sort?
Thank you for the graph, Richard – that’s one that even I can understand! :lol:

Regarding your comment about the MS, that has been at the back of my mind also. Whilst I think it would be a fantastic watch for a lazy, laid-back beach holiday, there are other circumstances that I foresee when it might not quite cut the mustard, as you say. I did try a GMT, as you know, but it was a little bit on the large and heavy side for me. What I would really like is a true GMT with independently adjustable hour hand, but I have a suspicion that my stated budget probably wouldn’t come anywhere near one of those. Unless any wise people out there know differently?

You sold that Zürich Weltzeit, didn’t you?
Steve

StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm That is probably the nicest looking Tudor I have ever seen – would certainly bear looking at.

Edit: too big for a dressy watch.
36 and 39mm versions available but I think sans small seconds. Have to say its also one of my favourite Tudors and I first saw it on this forum I think. I've never owned one.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

StrapMeister wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm For your consideration....
Thanks, Nigel. Some rather nice watches there. I do like the two Seikos; The one with the PR looks rather like a GS without the price-tag!

The Longines...no. Great company that makes some lovely watches, but those mixed metals put me off, steel and gold.

Nomos – I’ve never been a particular fan of the Club, always felt it looked a bit of a plain Jane. I have always liked the Tangente, and of course I had one, but I would probably go for the smaller 35.5 mm version again. With the long lugs it was a very nice size, and the lack of any significant bezel made for quite a large dial anyway.
Steve

downer

Post by downer »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm
You sold that Zürich Weltzeit, didn’t you?
Yup. Ultimately, I found the hands a little skinny, but otherwise, a great watch with a lovely movement. 40mm if I remember rightly.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

downer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm 40mm if I remember rightly.
I believe so. I tried one on at Salon QP a few years ago. Beautiful watch.
Steve

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Considering the requirements, I wonder if hanging around to see what the Sealander turns out to be might be an option?

I’m not sure what constitutes a ‘military’ watch- there seem to be design cues of the ‘dirty dozen’ in many dress watches which has had me looking several times at the Broadsword. If it wasn’t for the HMAF lettering it might come across as a good do-anything watch, especially with a different strap.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I am certainly in no hurry, so waiting around to see what comes along will not be a hardship.

Military is perhaps a rather broad church to try and define, but I know what I mean by it. The Broadsword is certainly an example; I’ve never really seen any watch by Bremont that I’m especially keen on.
Steve

kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Thought it was just me getting itchy... first thing I did after work Monday was call an AD to see what was on offer. Not much help with any suggestions Steve, not very dressy but have you thought about a NF, not sure if that’s your cup of tea but it’s a good all rounder :?