The world of mechanical chronographs

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: The world of mechanical chronographs

Post by gaf1958 »

Another left field option Chris ; a pre-owned Zenith. The good old El Primero movement is very thin. My old hand wound El Primero was thinner than many of my three-handers and gorgeous to boot. You’re getting a quality brand, but look around and they can be had for good prices - you just have to ignore the hopefuls who think their Zenith has retained 80% of the new price, as it hasn’t. It’s a fickle world and if a brand deserves better retained value, it’s Zenith, but sadly not. This one was 40mm and only 11.5mm thick. Yes really!

Another option is to look at vintage chronos from the late fifties and the sixties - before they became blocky and large in the seventies. This Continental with a Venus 88 inside is a petite (although largish for the time) 37mm with a case depth of 13mm, although it’s less than 10mm without the acrylic crystal. Get it serviced, wear it worry-free...

Or save up and buy that Speedmaster and love the damn thing to bits... Image
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Thanks for chiming in Gary. i was getting a bit concerned - a chat about chronographs and "Where's @gaf1958"? :)

Umm, yeah. 2 gorgeous pieces you present there, no risk at all. As I look at that Zenith today, just wow. And wow again.
It's a world I don't feel well equipped to understand, much as I take your point very much on board.
I will have to take a look around that world to see where my comfort level is. Understanding the piece, the ownership proposition, the seller and so on.
Consider the jaw suitably dropped and the eyes opened however.

At this moment in time with my most expensive piece to date being the Formex, although "loosened up" for a tier or two above now, the Speedy is another level again and I'm not sure I've graduated. Does bear thought.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

HKED does a really good version of the 1963 (closer to the original vintage release). A great mechanical chrono for very short money. They have several versions in 38 and 42, sapphire or acrylic. They also offer a small level of customization with hand colors. Very fun watch. I love mine.

20200617_153250343_iOS (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London