Q1 watch wear report; brought to you by “On My Wrist”

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Q1 watch wear report; brought to you by “On My Wrist”

Post by ajax87 »

Sorry this is a few days late, things have been hectic lately...

Toward the end of last year, I downloaded the “On my wrist” app to track my watch wear. I heard about it through a forum member here, though I don’t recall who. I never really cared or paid attention to what I wore and when, but the idea appealed to me as a person who is a bit data/statistic driven.
Also, my collection increased a good bit toward the end of the year and I was starting to experience a bit of “rotation drama” (a term coined I believe in the 1950s by the Swedes [correct me if I’m wrong, missF :lol: ]).

The app is alright. It only allows you to select one watch per day. I only wear multiples a couple times a month max, so not a big deal for me but would still be nice. I just choose whichever I wore longer usually. It also only lets you view the last 30, 60, or 90 days stats, or you can select “all data” and see stats since whenever you started tracking. I reset the app and started on January 1st 2021 so I could track the year. You can export data for the time periods if you want.

What I didn’t expect is for it to help me spread the love a little bit. I can easily see which watches are falling behind or what I haven’t worn in the last week or 2 and then give that watch a go again. Although I still often just go with whatever I fancy for the day or whatever matches my outfit.

As you can see, CW dominates my wrist. No surprise that the C65 SC will likely be worn the most this year. The Moonglow and GMT recently ended their honeymoon periods, and the Sapphire has seen a resurgence of late. I will note that my favorite watch is my Speedmaster, but it leans toward being a treasured heirloom so I don’t bring it out when I’m doing DIY projects or caring for my infant, which takes up a lot of my time.

So I guess this turned out to be kind of an app review, kind of a SOTC (though maybe I’ll do a real one at some point), and kind of my Q1 report which I apologize again was a few days late. Also kind of an insight into my wear habits, if anyone out there cares :lol:

Screenshots from the app:

C0160F75-D7EB-4FE2-BC6B-B9FDB5988670.jpeg
312714FB-D23A-462D-832A-C3BC76D5208A.jpeg
6A22F7A0-A219-4A8C-BC2C-9A049A52153D.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Q1 watch wear report; brought to you by “On My Wrist”

Post by 0uatiOW »

ajax87 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:39 pm Toward the end of last year, I downloaded the “On my wrist” app to track my watch wear. I heard about it through a forum member here, though I don’t recall who.
That was probably me :D. You’re welcome, or sorry, whichever applies.

I’ve been using this app for a couple of years, and the real data it has provided helped me cull a decent selection of rarely worn pieces last year, and so allowed me to bring in other goodies which were more likely to find their way onto my wrist (& so it turned out).

I like the app, in my view it’s better than just alright. Yes it only allows one wear per day, and there are a couple of bugs. I exchanged some emails with the developer, and asked if he might offer a way to clear down the data, or allow a custom start date for the chart. He seems like a nice guy, took my comments on board graciously, so perhaps he will release an upgrade. It’s free, he built it on the back of his own watch-geekery, and there are no ads or in-app purchases, so it is excellent value for money, but as he’s not turning a coin then who knows if he’ll be able to invest the time to enhance it.

I’m sure he would appreciate whatever comments you would like to make in a review on the App Store, and it might encourage him to get to work on it.

[Edit: nice collection BTW, CW is obviously at the top of your ladder, but I particularly like your Hamilton and it’s great to spot a rarely seen Shinola, which looks like it might be a product of your home state, which is a great reason to have one.]
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:25 pm
ajax87 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:39 pm Toward the end of last year, I downloaded the “On my wrist” app to track my watch wear. I heard about it through a forum member here, though I don’t recall who.
You’ll get a thank you from me, and a share of an eye roll from my wife :lol: . She’s supportive of my hobby for sure, but didn’t quite understand the app and tracking what I wear...

Yes, I see your points in value for the money regarding the app, and certainly there’s nothing better out there right now. I’ll be sure to send him a message!

And thank you; I enjoy my collection, and wish I would wear the Hamilton more. I want a mesh bracelet for it so I’ll feel less afraid of my son's spit up staining the leather! The shinola was a purchase to support my hometown for sure, but it’s a great watch. Quality is on par with CW, has the same SW200 movement and their straps are amazing, if a bit pricey.

The “ladder” question thread I haven’t replied to because I’m not sure about it. As you say CW looks to be atop my ladder, but my knee jerk reaction would be that Omega is on top, if the rungs aren’t dependent on quantity alone. I would probably have quite a few more Omegas than CWs and wear them more if I could afford it.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:04 pm I enjoy my collection, and wish I would wear the Hamilton more. I want a mesh bracelet for it so I’ll feel less afraid of my son's spit up staining the leather!
The Hamilton chrono is a lovely watch. Understandable that your son might find it chompable! It’ll look great on a mesh bracelet :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

An interesting post, thanks. Just down loaded the App to give it a go as i am looking to thin out the current collection to something more manageable.
Rgds
Steve :clap: :thumbup:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’ve been using this app for about 18 months and it has served a couple of useful purposes in that time. First it helped me note which watches I wasn’t wearing so I could make a conscious effort to wear them more. Then almost by default it showed me which watches I have only been wearing due to a guilty conscience, rather than because I wanted to actually wear then.

It is OK when I go into work as once a watch is on, it stays on until I get home. However on the days I’m working from home, I have often put a watch on only to swap it after a few hours to one of my favourites.

It’s been a really useful tool for helping me understand my collection and identify which watches it might be time to let go.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks for the update. I understand the theory but I think that such a methodical approach might take some of the joy out of it for me. I have watches that I just enjoy wearing for a day here and there, or once in a blue moon.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by cincfleet »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:16 pm Thanks for the update. I understand the theory but I think that such a methodical approach might take some of the joy out of it for me. I have watches that I just enjoy wearing for a day here and there, or once in a blue moon.
Oh dear, that is exactly how i have been managing the collection thus far, I'll get me coat !! :silent: :lol: :lol:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

cincfleet wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:46 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:16 pm Thanks for the update. I understand the theory but I think that such a methodical approach might take some of the joy out of it for me. I have watches that I just enjoy wearing for a day here and there, or once in a blue moon.
Oh dear, that is exactly how i have been managing the collection thus far, I'll get me coat !! :silent: :lol: :lol:
Haha! Well, it’s definitely a “to each their own” situation. I don’t use the app for identifying to sell as I very rarely sell (2 sales in the last 12 years, one of them bought back later...). It’s just for satisfaction of tracking and to make sure the lesser worn watches don’t get too lonely. They start acting up if their feelings are hurt.
Alex
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by cincfleet »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:33 pm
cincfleet wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:46 pm
Haha! Well, it’s definitely a “to each their own” situation. I don’t use the app for identifying to sell as I very rarely sell (2 sales in the last 12 years, one of them bought back later...). It’s just for satisfaction of tracking and to make sure the lesser worn watches don’t get too lonely. They start acting up if their feelings are hurt.
:lol: What a superb reply and the comment about not wanting 'their feeling's hurt' . The collection is, after all, a part of me. Most are not expensive, but they do have a meaning/moment ! Once again "I'll Get me Coat" :lol:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have used the app for almost 3 years.

Before I had the app - I knew what watches I wear regularly and which are only worn occasionally.

Using the app has only confirmed what I already knew.

I like the app, but it plays no part in deciding what watches to wear.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:25 pm
I just now remembered, it WAS you and your “end of annus horlogicus” thread at the end of last year that put me on to the app.

It’ll be interesting to review my yearly stats at the end of this year, as I have an incoming watch that might change things, and I am keeping a close eye on the C60 Aero release.
Alex
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

It’s a pretty good app, and I thought I might get something useful from it, but I stopped using it a couple of years ago. When I looked at my statistics for the last year it gave me a couple of watches that had been worn five or six times; the bulk fell in the 2-4 range and anything less frequent than that... (what once or never!)... well I probably already knew it.

If I can reduce my collection to reasonable levels, maybe 30... ish, it could be of more use and I might start using it again. But then, it was really only telling me what I already pretty much knew.

I never, well, I tried to never let it influence which watch(es) I chose for the day as that’s a very haphazard, spur of the moment, what do I feel like kind of thing. Knowing what was coming up next took some of the joy out of it...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

gaf1958 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 am If I can reduce my collection to reasonable levels, maybe 30... ish, it could be of more use and I might start using it again.
I do find it useful for my 15 piece collection. I can’t imagine even having a collection much bigger than this though. It must have been tedious entering dozens upon dozens of watches into the collection in the app to even get started!
Alex
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 pm I do find it useful for my 15 piece collection. I can’t imagine even having a collection much bigger than this though. It must have been tedious entering dozens upon dozens of watches into the collection in the app to even get started!
Easy solution to that - I just added a watch when I got around to wearing it (or thinking I would wear it sooner, rather than later).

After about 6 months or so I did a check to see which ones didn’t have their own entry and added all the still unworn as one line. The idea being to move to an individual entry if they are worn.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK