Record Player recommendations & questions

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Record Player recommendations & questions

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m assuming/hoping there are some vinyl lovers on her who can chime in with their thoughts.

For many months now I’ve been dabbling with the idea of getting a set-up for playing and enjoying vinyl records. The initial plan was to pick up some reconditioned vintage components (turntable and receiver/amplifier) and a decent set of speakers.

After thinking on it for awhile (as I typically do with major outlays), I’ve scaled the plan back significantly to buying a new turntable with a built in preamp and connecting it directly to a pair of powered speakers I already have.

Does anyone have an experience with the Audio-Technica AT-LP3? This is the turntable I’m looking at, based on price and reviews.

And does anyone have experience running a turntable with a built in preamp through powered speakers? I ran an earlier turntable through these speakers, and it sounded awful. I’ve assumed that’s because it was an exceedingly cheap turntable. The speakers in question are quite nice. I also use them as part of a wireless set up to stream music.

Thanks in advance!
Drew
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Record Player recommendations & questions

Post by neilj568 »

CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Call me old fashioned Andrew.

Powered speakers?

What's wrong with Turntable - Pre-amp, integrated or separate (as I have) - AMPLIFIER - Speakers? All connected with cables of course.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The radiogram was right out of the question then. Didn't even come up on predictive text. What about a Dynatron TV cabinet then. (That wasn't predicted either)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 pm Powered speakers?

What's wrong with Turntable - Pre-amp, integrated or separate (as I have) - AMPLIFIER - Speakers? All connected with cables of course.
I scaled back my original plan because of cost and space. I don’t have room for a turntable and amp. And going that route requires buying speakers too.

Skipping the amp by running straight into the powered speakers I already have saves space and money. I’m thinking of this as a bit of a starter set-up.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

JAFO wrote:The radiogram was right out of the question then. Didn't even come up on predictive text. What about a Dynatron TV cabinet then. (That wasn't predicted either)
My father had a Dynatron Radiogram. Lovely piece of furniture. He borrowed a friend's Minivan to collect it.

Back when Stereo records were the new thing.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Sorry. I saw this on my phone, which must have been stuck somehow. The only post I saw was the link to Not The Nine O'clock News, and added the comment.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Now I can answer seriously. I have a Rega Planar 3, although it's not maintaining rotational speed correctly. Otherwise an excellent turntable.

I would be inclined to get an integrated amp with a built in phono input, which includes a pre-amp circuit for the phono. It just makes it easier to plug in other separates, or even a phone. 30watt per channel RMS is more than enough, although they will probably show a lot more than that.

I just looked on ebay, and old Nad amps were surprisingly pricy, compared with say Sony. I mention those because I upgraded a NAD to a better appointed and more powerful Sony, and Nad weren't so expensive all those years ago. The Jam's "The Gift" has a good bass track.

Space might be an issue as full size separates tend to be around 16 inch wide, but I expect you would get a decent used amp, for the same price as a new phono pre-amp.

Another option is getting a surround sound amp for the TV, and running the phono into that.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

I've got this Pioneer and it's great just into the aux preamp of my hifi.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

The Schiit range of phono pre-amps are well regarded. https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

Watch the Cambridge Audio refurb eBay page - they had some phono amps listed yesterday but are now sold out. They replenish a couple of times a week and you can get 33% off RRP. https://www.ebay.com/sch/cambridgeaudio ... pg=&_from=

Either will do what you want.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by malvern_man »

I've got the Audio Technica AT-LP2X which is a special version of the AT-LP3, I believe that the only difference is the LP2X comes with a felt mat and the LP3 comes with a rubber mat.

There are a couple of YouTube videos that show you how to set up the record deck although I found the supplied printed instruction very easy to follow.

I don't have a lot of room so I opted for powered speakers, I bought the Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Active Near Field Monitors - Studio Monitor Speakers from Amazon.

I'm just starting to get back into vinyl and I'm very pleased with this set up, I think that sound from the speakers is great.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

malvern_man wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:26 pm I've got the Audio Technica AT-LP2X which is a special version of the AT-LP3, I believe that the only difference is the LP2X comes with a felt mat and the LP3 comes with a rubber mat.

There are a couple of YouTube videos that show you how to set up the record deck although I found the supplied printed instruction very easy to follow.

I don't have a lot of room so I opted for powered speakers, I bought the Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Active Near Field Monitors - Studio Monitor Speakers from Amazon.

I'm just starting to get back into vinyl and I'm very pleased with this set up, I think that sound from the speakers is great.
Those are the very speakers I have, just with the added Bluetooth (very handy, I might add)! So glad you posted this. Now I feel confident about this potential set up.

Does the LP2X have the ground wire? And if so, what did you do with it?
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

The Gadget Show reviewed 3 turntables recently that were plug and play. Sorry I'm useless copying url's but it's easily found on a google search.
:oops:
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 pm The Gadget Show reviewed 3 turntables recently that were plug and play. Sorry I'm useless copying url's but it's easily found on a google search.
:oops:

:thumbup:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex