missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Coronavirus Vaccine.

Post by missF »

jtc wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:17 pm This was a long but fascinating read

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03 ... s-covid-19
Thanks for posting this. A comprehensive summary of where we’re at in what’s going to be a rapidly changing situation.

I get from this that there are two different positions being taken on the subject of possible vaccine serious side effects. The one says that the level of unusually severe clotting problems post-vaccination has physicians taking notice (even if there’s no fire there’s a fair amount of smoke). The position across many countries in the EU, for now, is to pause the vaccination program and delve a bit deeper. The UK position looks at the flip side of this equation, and the far far greater number of deaths that will be prevented by continuing the vaccination program.

The two views are not so far apart it seems, however. The ‘pause and investigate’ position may well lead to a resumption of the program tempered by new advice to look out for certain symptoms indicative of more serious illness post-jag.

I hope I’ve summarised this reasonably. I’m happy for anyone else who reads the article to challenge what I’ve said. I think that on any sort of forum it’s important to fact-check and be clear at what points you’re speculating. Best thing in fact would be to ignore my summary and read the article! :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

nbg wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:05 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:27 pm I’ve read that side effects can be a reflection of the strength of ones immunity system - the stronger the system, the greater the chance of side effects (if I’m remembering this correctly). Perhaps that correlates with the younger vs older relationship you describe?
I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

Yes it does seem to be the case that younger persons may experience more noticeable side effects. However I have read nothing that indicates a direct read across to meaning “stronger more noticeable side effects = a greater level of immunity after the vaccination”.

Neil
Neil, I don't think jk was insinuating that more side effects = greater immunity. Rather, it seems that more side effects equates to a more active immune system (as would be expected in younger healthy folks), and a FASTER (not stronger) immune response. The overall level of immunity does not vary greatly, but the initial immune response, in the first 24-48 hours, seems to be more aggressive, hence more side effects.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

My county opened up vaccinations for everyone 16 and over today. County Commission says all restrictions will be lifted on April 16th and assuming there are no spikes, it will be over. With 150,000 residents we had 4 cases the last reported day and they are giving 6,000 doses a day.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Had my AZ vaccine today, very easy process, booked following a text from my GPs Practice.

Unlike the one I had booked through the NHS, which, although I have a screenshot to prove it, is said to not exist. So how do I cancel an appointment that doesn't exist.

So if you receive the NHS vaccine text, maybe consider waiting for the one from your Doctor.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^I booked mine online after receiving the NHS letter. Took me a couple of days to get a local one, I got a text from the GP practice after I had had the jab.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:01 am
nbg wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:05 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:27 pm I’ve read that side effects can be a reflection of the strength of ones immunity system - the stronger the system, the greater the chance of side effects (if I’m remembering this correctly). Perhaps that correlates with the younger vs older relationship you describe?
I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

Yes it does seem to be the case that younger persons may experience more noticeable side effects. However I have read nothing that indicates a direct read across to meaning “stronger more noticeable side effects = a greater level of immunity after the vaccination”.

Neil
Neil, I don't think jk was insinuating that more side effects = greater immunity. Rather, it seems that more side effects equates to a more active immune system (as would be expected in younger healthy folks), and a FASTER (not stronger) immune response. The overall level of immunity does not vary greatly, but the initial immune response, in the first 24-48 hours, seems to be more aggressive, hence more side effects.
That’s exactly what I meant to communicate. You’ve clarified it well. Thank you!
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

I wonder if some people have more problems if they receive the vaccine and have COVID, but do not know it.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^It has certainly been suggested that those who have had C19, whether they knew it or not, might have more aggressive reactions.

It's also suggested that younger people might get a more aggressive reaction.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Coronavirus Vaccine.

Post by Robotaz »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:^^^It has certainly been suggested that those who have had C19, whether they knew it or not, might have more aggressive reactions.

It's also suggested that younger people might get a more aggressive reaction.
I wore a mask through the pandemic, but I went wherever I wanted and live in a place that was generally open, too. I’ve wondered if I got it and was asymptomatic. Hoping I haven’t and the shots go smoothly.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

I've got my jab later today - hope it goes ok [-o<
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

We both had our first jab on Wednesday. Mrs nbg started to feel fatigued and aching about 8 hours later and then slept for most of Thursday, but by this morning back to about 95%.

No noticeable side effects for me.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nbg wrote:We both had our first jab on Wednesday. Mrs nbg started to feel fatigued and aching about 8 hours later and then slept for most of Thursday, but by this morning back to about 95%.

No noticeable side effects for me.

Neil
Glad your wife is ok now Neil.

By the way, which vaccine?

My girlfriend had her jab yesterday morning, Astra Zenaca / Oxford, and has been fine so far.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Guy it was the AZ/Oxford.

I reckon that it is the default option for most of the UK vaccination settings. I imagine far easier to administer than the Pfizer - not just due to the storage temperature. The Pfizer also requires precise dilution.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Just had my first jag. I asked the vaccinator if I was more likely to get bad side effects since I have already had covid, but she said she hadn't heard anything to that effect. It seems genetic factors play a much higher role in whether or not you get bad side effects
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Following my Vaccine yesterday, I actually felt full of energy.
I also went for a 90 min bike ride this morning.

Maybe it was relief, but it's uncommon to hear positive side effects.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39