Six Nations 2021

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Six Nations 2021

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting afternoon.

The first game didn't tell us too much except that no-one is going to find France easy to overcome.

I want to go on about how dreadful England were, ridiculous penalty count and so on...

But that would be unfair. Scotland played an awesome 80 minutes. I was thinking with 10 to go "If England score and sneak it, that will be the least deserved win ever."

I'm actually glad they didn't. Well done Scotland!

Wales-Ireland tomorrow. No idea how to call that one.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Six Nations 2021

Post by Clach77 »

I’m happy. :lol:
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That was our most controlled, error free performance that I can remember.

I’m sure the next game against Wales will be tough though so no point getting ahead of ourselves.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

It's hard to talk about the match without saying how bad England were. I know that kicking the ball away for territory has worked well over the last couple of years but it surely can't be right to do it at all times, without any thought for playing what's in front of them?

They looked rusty, which given the Saracens contingent have barely played any rugby isn't much of a surprise. Felt for Ollie Lawrence, given absolutely nothing on his debut.

Anyway, Scotland were very good and fully deserved their win. Might worry them slightly that they didn't turn all of the possession and territory into a more comfortable win but that's something for next week.

France look good and Italy, unfortunately, absolutely folded.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I think the number / ratio of tackes made by England and Scotland says it all.

Scotland were dominant and if they had had the rub of the green with penalty kicks, six points unscored, it would have been a truer reflection of the game.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I fell asleep during Scotland v England...

It's just not the same without a noisy crowd of scarves, painted faces and pints.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Scotland were great, fully deserved the win and despite being an England fan I am very pleased for them.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I enjoyed both games today.

France have got an excellent team at the moment, with an attractive style of play. Dupont, Vincent and Cretin in particular were very impressive. Italy had some good moments, but they made too many mistakes and need a much better defence coach based on today's performance.

England were like they always are when Plan A doesn't come off, i.e. bereft of Plans B, C etc to call on. They looked very, very rusty. But that's not to take anything away from Scotland who executed their game-plan really well. Normally it is their execution that lets them down, with too many errors. But the error count was low today and Finn Russell and Stuart Hogg were excellent, particularly some of the latter's monster kicking from hand. It was a very dominant performance, worthy of a much bigger points margin.

As it's Lions year (maybe!) it's interesting to think what insights today told us, if any. The most obvious is that Russell will be the Lions number 10, fitness permitting. Farrell confirmed yet again that he is very average fly-half. He's a much better number 12. England always seem to play better with Ford at 10, but it was too late when he came on. May had a game to forget - from a Lions point of view I hope this was a one-off, as he was fantastic last year, basically the first man on the Lions team sheet. At the moment my Lions wings would be May and Van Der Merwe, who continued his impressive form from the autumn today. He's a right handful! It's probably too early to make any more Lions calls yet, but I'm not sure any England players did themselves any favours. Even Itoje looked lumbering, unfit and ill-disciplined, aside from a few useful charge-downs.

Let's see what tomorrow brings. I don't fancy Wales' chances against Ireland to be honest. :(
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I used to look forward to the Six Nations or as it was then the Five Nations, but in recent years my interest has diminished. In many ways I was lucky to have watched many games at Twickenham followed by some memorable times at the Barmy Arms. Am I alone in missing the ‘amateur’ game when player’s gave all for their country. Something that, IMHO, was missing in England’s performance yesterday.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^Understood and agreed, Richard. I too watched games at Twickenham and Murrayfield, even Paris, in the old days.
Different game now, though. And not entirely to do with the amateur or professional status. Cricket is a very different game too, whilst remaining fundamentally the same in principle. I was a season ticket holder at Stoke City in one of their more successful periods in the early '70s. A good number of the players were actually local boys. Foreign stars hadn't really arrived in English football at the time.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:22 pm ^^^Understood and agreed, Richard. I too watched games at Twickenham and Murrayfield, even Paris, in the old days.
Different game now, though. And not entirely to do with the amateur or professional status. Cricket is a very different game too, whilst remaining fundamentally the same in principle. I was a season ticket holder at Stoke City in one of their more successful periods in the early '70s. A good number of the players were actually local boys. Foreign stars hadn't really arrived in English football at the time.
We are probably of the same generation and would have played a different game. The change came with the rules to protect the players and not forgetting the money that has also shaped the modern game. Indeed, the same can be said of all sports.

Twickenham, Murrayfield, Arms Park were all an adventure. Today, I wouldn’t waste my money.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

A Facebook friend posted this:

Police in London have launched a major investigation after 15 young and inexperienced men were subjected to a terrifying ordeal whilst out for a gentle kick about in the park. One shocked victim said, 'It started in the 1st minute when they took the ball from us and wouldn't give us it back”. Police said, the culprits were all Scottish, dressed in blue and showed no regard to the emotional impact on their victims who were subjected to 80 minutes of physical and mental abuse. Witnesses are requested to phone Crime stoppers anonymously at the earliest opportunity.

Sums it up beautifully.
Richard

Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^That's magnificent! :clap:
Steve

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

The Italy/France game was entertaining, and judging by the way the following match was played it looks like Italy may get their first win against the English. The Italian 10 is wonderful to watch

Scotland utterly deserved their win against England. This hurt as an English man watching that shower of s**t play representing their country. I think that the time has come for EJ to go back to Aussie land.

He picked players clearly lacking match fitness/form. They gave away silly penalties that meant from a point 5m from Scotland's line 3 in a row resulted in less than 2 mins later Scotland scoring. People go on about how great Itoji is, but he was guilty of some stupid errors resulting and contributing to the loss.

I am a great fan of A Watson, but playing him on the wing is a crime, he is also out of form at this time. He got the ball once in cow corner with now where to go, and a second time where at least he ran and made some yards

Ben Youngs needs to retire, slow and without imagination, and has been thus for 2-3 years now. England has some great 9,s they need to be playing Harry Randell from Bristol is setting everything on fire in the premiership at the moment he should be playing. Danny Care is playing well, Spencer is great where are they? I thought Cowan Dickie was good when he came on. I hope Jack Nowal gets fit enough to get back into Exeter then English team

Our back row was rubbish, when Laws came on he started to make a difference.... in the second row, he should have started. Earles also came on late, Poor old young Mallins came on for 4 mins....great way to win your first cap, how will that help him? and to make it worse they took off Watson who had not played badly.... he had only had the ball twice, and instead left May on the field, who had a shocker.... I could go on

Wales /Ireland well weren't the Welsh lucky they scrapped a win against 14. I suspect they will win against Italy, and scrape by England. Again some poor playing the 9 was suspect and things improved when Davies came on at 9. A class player, maybe to go on the Lions tour. I thought George North played well at centre. The rest were forgettable. The Irish were unlucky not win. Their pack looks good, Henshaw played well, and I like Earles on the wing.

For playing for Lions places there will be far less Englishmen on the plane to SA/Australia :) than before Saturday .... I worry for England this Saturday, tempted to put money on Italy to win if England not prepared to keep the ball and run it
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

sproughton wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:27 pm It's hard to talk about the match without saying how bad England were. I know that kicking the ball away for territory has worked well over the last couple of years but it surely can't be right to do it at all times, without any thought for playing what's in front of them?

They looked rusty, which given the Saracens contingent have barely played any rugby isn't much of a surprise. Felt for Ollie Lawrence, given absolutely nothing on his debut.

Anyway, Scotland were very good and fully deserved their win. Might worry them slightly that they didn't turn all of the possession and territory into a more comfortable win but that's something for next week.

France look good and Italy, unfortunately, absolutely folded.
I completely struggle with "kicking the ball away". At the end of the game you never voluntarily give up possession, so why kick back and forth early on? When I watch the American Football, they hardly ever pass to each other (a lateral, and the refs will pick up any forward pass that they never bother with in RU). They will only do this as a last resort in American Football.

Maybe it's hard, but I would have thought keep the ball, get everyone back and try to make progress. It's not RL where you get 6 possessions and then have to kick. You can have phase after untold phase.

I just found this article including some discussion about kicking.